• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: How I spent my summer vacation?

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took two weeks off this summer.

The first week I spent researching and almost buying (ultimately decided against it) a vacation home at Adams Lake, BC. The place was beautiful and affordable but came with some uncertainties regarding it's long-term value. It waqs beautiful though and on the second deepest lake in BC. The deepest point is apparently 500 m (~1600 ft for you Yanks):omg:
It's a beautiful place and this decision may haunt me down the road. :bawling:

adamslake(1)_1285621129_458.jpg

The second week I went the cheap route and visited my parents cabin in Quebec. Golf, swimming, kayaing and boating. Good times.

Wow, that is absolutely breath taking. I'm gonna use it as my work wallpaper. :nod:

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't go anywhere or do anything this time around. I also started a new job (but with the same company) this year, it's just been hard to get to a place where I can afford to take time off without getting too far behind at work.

I'm hoping to go back to Michigan for Thanksgiving or Christmas to spend with my family and visit with my friends I haven't seen in years.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't go anywhere or do anything this time around. I also started a new job (but with the same company) this year, it's just been hard to get to a place where I can afford to take time off without getting too far behind at work.

I'm hoping to go back to Michigan for Thanksgiving or Christmas to spend with my family and visit with my friends I haven't seen in years.

Yay! :clap:

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One day when a job opens up in one of our subsidiaries in the state, I hope to move back to MI sometime in the future. I had such a good time seeing everyone last Thanksgiving when I was up there. Unfortunately I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to see.

I miss having friends and a life.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The first week I spent researching and almost buying (ultimately decided against it) a vacation home at Adams Lake, BC. The place was beautiful and affordable but came with some uncertainties regarding it's long-term value. It was beautiful though and on the second deepest lake in BC. The deepest point is apparently 500 m (~1600 ft for you Yanks):omg:

Wow. That IS deep! Nice pic, Kenny. Nicely framed.

I'm a big fan of the lake life. Growing up we'd go to Northern Minnesota every summer. Loved it.

I will say this for my trip to Dolly Sods, WV - no mosquitos and no biting flies. That was pretty nice. As were the wild blackberries everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That IS deep! Nice pic, Kenny. Nicely framed.

I'm a big fan of the lake life. Growing up we'd go to Northern Minnesota every summer. Loved it.

I will say this for my trip to Dolly Sods, WV - no mosquitos and no biting flies. That was pretty nice. As were the wild blackberries everywhere.

Thanks Elo.

I didn't actually take that pic though. Great spot though. The SHuswap area is one of my faves. Not too far from wine country too.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Checking with the judges......Yes, thats the first time those words have been used together in that order in this century!

Just kidding.

The first week I spent researching and almost buying (ultimately decided against it) a vacation home at Adams Lake, BC. The place was beautiful and affordable but came with some uncertainties regarding it's long-term value. It was beautiful though and on the second deepest lake in BC. The deepest point is apparently 500 m (~1600 ft for you Yanks):omg:

adamslake(1)_1285621129_458.jpg

The second week I went the cheap route and visited my parents cabin in Quebec. Golf, swimming, kayaing and boating. Good times.

Yeah that looks nice and all but whats the catch? Chupacabras in the area? Bears deformed from mercury waste?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that looks nice and all but whats the catch? Chupacabras in the area? Bears deformed from mercury waste?

native land claim potential???

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bingo.

On top of mortgage payments and federal taxes you had to pay a lease of close to $7000 a year. Steep as it is, but it was only locked in at that rate for a finite number of years.

Might be hard to get market value down the road if the lease goes up significantly... or if the local band adjusts their claim.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo.

On top of mortgage payments and federal taxes you had to pay a lease of close to $7000 a year. Steep as it is, but it was only locked in at that rate for a finite number of years.

Might be hard to get market value down the road if the lease goes up significantly... or if the local band adjusts their claim.

When you said Adams Lake the thing I immediately thought of was the road blockades the indian band did in the 90's

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bingo.

Color me ignorant, I was just gofing around, I never knew about any of that stuff.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope everyone has/is having a great summer. Mine kinda sucked but as long as I have next summer to look forward to all is good I guess.

Wish I had hopes for the Bills and Sabres coming up but the sports gods hate Buffalonians so we will roll with what it is. The Bills have no QB's, both corners are injured a new coaching staff and the Sabres will have a team that's so young I would be throwing all of them off the lawn. :gaah:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Color me ignorant, I was just gofing around, I never knew about any of that stuff.

Me too. I was living out east when the incident JStew was talking about went down. I knew nothing about it until I looked into this place.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no biggie ... native land claims still a big thing up here ... even in urban areas

our friends bought a summer place on the lake in Oroville Washington because "stuff" "got "taken care of" in the USA back in the day :evil:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no biggie ... native land claims still a big thing up here ... even in urban areas

our friends bought a summer place on the lake in Oroville Washington because "stuff" "got "taken care of" in the USA back in the day :evil:

Yeah. I don't begrudge the natives their claims one bit. I just think there needs to be some closure and stability, in the best interest of all. :2cents:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right there with ya,, I had no idea. I'll have to do my research if/when we go looking at property in W Ontario.

tumblr_mmcw8mofwG1r5xzspo1_400.jpg

URBAN AREAS?

How in God's name would that work? "Hey, we like that mall / Arena / business park / condo community"