• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Gary Patterson

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU coach Gary Patterson is not about to let his players vote on a teammate's discipline.
Patterson, whose Horned Frogs open the season against LSU on Aug. 31, criticized Tigers coach Les Miles for reinstating running back Jeremy Hill after his teammates voted to allow him to return to the team.

dal_u_patterson1_sw_65.jpg
I'm sure if it was some opponent they'd beat by 100 points, [the players] wouldn't have a vote.
” -- TCU coach Gary Patterson​
"I'm sure if it was some opponent they'd beat by 100 points, [the players] wouldn't have a vote," Patterson said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "It's not my worry. I've got to play whoever they put on the field."
Hill had been suspended from all team activities since his April 29 arrest for punching a man outside of a Baton Rouge, La., bar. He was already on probation for pleading guilty to a 2012 misdemeanor stemming from his sexual relationship with a then-14-year-old girl while he was in high school.
Hill pleaded guilty to misdemeanor simple battery for the bar fight charge in July and practiced for the first time Monday.
Miles wouldn't rule out Hill missing games, saying he wanted to keep his punishment internal.
TCU has its own key player facing a suspension for the LSU game, with defensive end Devonte Fields banned for the first two games of the season for violating team rules during the spring. But Patterson said a similar vote to the one LSU used with Hill is out of the question.
"My whole team would vote Devonte to be back on the team because they all want to win," Patterson said. "That doesn't teach life lessons."

what do you guys think?

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 1st thought was what the vote numbers would be if the Eagles voted on Cooper. Obviously, he didn't commit a crime, but he would be gone. Miles is what he is, belittles recruits that turn down LSU and lets the inmates run the asylum. But he wins 10+ a year, so the majority of LSU fans will roll with it. No different than most teams, there's so much money involved, good players are gonna get to play. Lets be honest, if Aaron Hernandez got off on a technicality, but everyone knew he did it, and he were cleared to play, someone would sign him, no question about it. Sad

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson has ethics and integrity

Miles well his actions speak volumes on how he thinks

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson has ethics and integrity

Miles well his actions speak volumes on how he thinks
There's a nice thread about this in CF general forum. Everyone's in agreement except the guy with the les miles avatar! Wonder why?

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always liked Patterson. IMO though he shouldnt have said the first part of his statement about it being a vote if they were going to play a team they would beat by 100. I dont know what the TCU player did. Miles , on the other hand, is definitely a players coach. With that being said, his team has had its share of suspensions in the past. Heck, he suspended one player that was in the Heismann running two years ago. His QB was suspended for awhile as well. I know Les isnt the sharpest crayon in the box at times, but he did suspend the others at critical times.

Now Patterson may have been baited into saying that, I dont know. He bounced back real quick and said he needed to worry about his team or something to that affect.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I do disagree with Les leaving it up to his team. I mean Hill is their so called starter and probably there best back, but I have seen the guy use 5 different backs in a close game. They have plenty on the depth chart

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting Players vote on discipline, is akin to letting the inmates run the asylum.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.
Patterson see's his role as much more than just winning football games.

I'm there on the 31st. Should be fun

negativeCreep

Odd Man Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't have (much) of a problem with the bar fight. Some guys go out to bars looking for just that, and sometimes you can't get away from it. Him being a college athlete only would add to that in most cases. That being said though, keep your college butt out of the bars (plenty of dorms) I do however, have a big problem with the underage girl. That is a chemical imbalance. As far as the letting the players decide deal: From a players view, I love it, afterall they are the ones on the field. If they decide they want him there then by all means. From a coach's perspective though - NEVER. That just screams "I don't run the team, the team runs me" If I was a coach at any level I would never allow even the thought of it. LSU is a great white, especially in that city/state and they are bigger than Les Miles - I lived there for about 6 months and saw that first hand. Although they do love their coach, they'd sell his soul in a Dallas minute for a championship run. Overall: I'd have to say I do not like the move and I don't think the TCU coach was out of bounds at all.

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.
Patterson see's his role as much more than just winning football games.

I'm there on the 31st. Should be fun
Miles may run it up a little more after Patterson's comments.....

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know anything about the interview with Patterson. All Im saying is he should worry about his own team. What Les Miles does shouldnt be of his concern. Just Like Spurrier said last yr about Georgia. Usually the Georgia / SC game is week 2. It changed this year. Spurrier said he always enjoyed playing Georgia early. He implied that in week 2 , Georgia players are usually serving some kind of suspension. Go beat whoever is in front of you. Most seem to be bashing Les here. I dont like the fact he let his team choose, but obviously that was his choice.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know anything about the interview with Patterson. All Im saying is he should worry about his own team. What Les Miles does shouldnt be of his concern. Just Like Spurrier said last yr about Georgia. Usually the Georgia / SC game is week 2. It changed this year. Spurrier said he always enjoyed playing Georgia early. He implied that in week 2 , Georgia players are usually serving some kind of suspension. Go beat whoever is in front of you. Most seem to be bashing Les here. I dont like the fact he let his team choose, but obviously that was his choice.

What Patterson did is nothing more than coach gamesmanship. He saw a way to get under Miles' skin and took it. Now if TCU gets blown out because of this they were going to lose anyway. Beside what Patterson said is 100% correct. You don't let "Criminals" (metaphor) pass sentence.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. I dont think it will bother ole Les at all though.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard Nate newton on 103.3 ESPN yesterday say that by letting the players vote on the issue gave them some ownership and responsibility to help keep the guy in line. kinda like "hey man it 10:30 you sure you want to go out to the xxxxxx last time it was trouble and you know your out of here if it happens again"

I can see that don't agree but I can see it

Nate also said Les walks to the beat of a different drummer than most

Interesting take

But I still think Les made a mistake but I'm not the coach at LSU

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Les definitely walks to a different beat. Most people that watch the SEC, sit back and wait to see what he is going to screw up next or what he may do. The talk radio heads here in Nashville usually have a weekly report on Miles and his game antics for that week and then they play his post game interview. I think the guy has like 80 plus wins in his 8 yrs at LSU.