• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Fulfilled my duties

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The alarm clock was set for 8:30 AM despite my heading to bed at around 2:30 AM. I'm an idiot.

3 rolled by, as did 3:30 and 4 and then 4:30. Around 5 AM, I told myself to stop looking at the clock and a restless sleep soon followed. It was voting day and around these parts, 9:30 AM is almost the perfect spot for a quick in-and-out at the polling station. People who voted before work have already departed and those who cast their ballots on their lunch breaks have yet to arrive.

It was a cold morning. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes a little longer than usual and asked myself if I really wanted to do this. This day had been anticipated, though not enthusiastically. My dad resides half a mile from the polling booth and I hadn't seen him in awhile. He knows why. This time, however, there would be no escaping this visit as the two locations are so close together.

Without really noticing it, the socks went on as well as everything else and I was headed downstairs. Breakfast was short and the shave was quick. Out the door I went.

There's a stupid fork in the road. I do not travel this way nearly enough to remember exactly which street to take. It's up to my guy instinct which soon turns out to be correct. I pass by my dad's residence, intending to hit him on the way back.

Voting is a breeze. There's a parking spot right next to the building. Unheard of. A group of gray, dignified ladies are hustling and bustling about inside, helping as many people as they can. Only about a dozen or so people are ahead of me in line. Most of the voters appear to be middle-aged. Some have brought their kids. One of the gray ladies insists a little girl take an "I Voted" sticker on the way out.

Having completed my patriotic duty, I drive over to my dad's place. For whatever reason, it's always windy when I visit. There have been no exceptions. Removing my hat, I take a seat. Minutes pass by, but neither of us says anything. We don't have to. We share each other's company for awhile.

The visit is not nearly as bad as expected, though who knows when I'll go back. Hopefully sooner than last time - but I've said that before. We both know Election Day 2016 is the most likely. Eventually I straighten up, put my hand on his headstone for a minute, and leave. I spend a few minutes near Grandma as well before finally departing.