• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Tennis thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the name Felix Auger-Aliassime - This 16 year old from Montreal is the US Open boys champion and this kid looks like a future star.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Remember the name Felix Auger-Aliassime - This 16 year old from Montreal is the US Open boys champion and this kid looks like a future star.
good follow-up from Shapovalov Wimbledon win.
can't recall Canada ever having a next wave.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although the results haven't been all that great lately for Milos, he's now ranked #4 in the world (career high ranking).

/He also reached number #4 back in May of 2015, but that was short lived.

Last edited:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I was poised to watch Milos take on Murray in the semi-finals in Paris today, but an MRI revealed a grade 1 tear of his right quad. That's too bad, Milos was playing great this week. With Milos pulling out and Joker losing yesterday, Andy Murray is the #1 ranked tennis player in the world.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those pictures make him look fast. Might not be a huge bust!!!

lol - Here's hoping he can avoid an Isner-like slide Kenny.

/With Felix and Denis Shapovalov, the future of Canadian tennis looks very bright.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be great to see more Canadian talent in tennis. Milos looks like he'll be a good one. Looking forward to see Felix and Denis.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milos into the semi-finals in London after a straight-sets win over Dominic Thiem earlier today. He has a chance at finishing this season ranked #3 in the world (which would be a career high).

/Still waiting for that Isner like slide...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATP rankings >> FIFA rankings
Well, fuck, McDonald's value menu rankings >> FIFA rankings.

If the World Cup draw was tomorrow Portugal, current European champions who have lost one game in 3 years, would be in pot 2. The team they beat in the final would be in pot 1.

:L

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty dumb that three guys not named Milos won grand slams this year but he'll be ranked 3rd.

I think it shows how hard it is to have consistent results like Milos. I'm sure he would trade that consistency for a major title, but it's still impressive.

Injuries are a concern though. They limit his chances, and makes it hard to gain momentum / maintain his improvements...

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a degenerate would bet on men's tennis but I would bet a #3 world ranking would be about the best he can hope for. I just don't see him besting Joker or Anne Murray in a grand slam.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it shows how hard it is to have consistent results like Milos. I'm sure he would trade that consistency for a major title, but it's still impressive.

Injuries are a concern though. They limit his chances, and makes it hard to gain momentum / maintain his improvements...
I think it speaks more to the lack of dominant talent in the men's game right now when a guy who missed two grand slam QF's this year can hit 3rd in the rankings. Like esls said, it's basically Djok, Chad Michael and :noidea: .

All credit to him for seizing the opportunity though, I guess.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a degenerate would bet on men's tennis but I would bet a #3 world ranking would be about the best he can hope for. I just don't see him besting Joker or Anne Murray in a grand slam.

He's knocking on the door of both Novak and Murray though, he lost two tie-breakers to Novak earlier this week and broke Novak a couple of times in the match, the positive sign is the gap is closing.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's knocking on the door of both Novak and Murray though, he lost two tie-breakers to Novak earlier this week and broke Novak a couple of times in the match, the positive sign is the gap is closing.
Lol come on man. He's won one set vs. Djok in their past 5 meetings. Only 3 sets in those 5 matches went to tiebreak and 2 were in that match.

He's been better vs. Murray, particularly at the Aussie (which he lost because of injury, of course), but he's still a class below. If he had maybe won even one match of the five they played this year I'd give him more credit but he couldn't.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol come on man. He's won one set vs. Djok in their past 5 meetings. Only 3 sets in those 5 matches went to tiebreak and 2 were in that match.

He's been better vs. Murray, particularly at the Aussie (which he lost because of injury, of course), but he's still a class below. If he had maybe won even one match of the five they played this year I'd give him more credit but he couldn't.

Yeah, he got blown off the court versus Joker in his previous couple of matches, that's why it's encouraging to see a very competitive match between those two. Joker is starting to come back to the pack a little and Milos is elevating his game, Fed is ready to hang them up, and Nadal has even more injury issues than Milos. I'm not saying Milos will ever reach the heights of Fed or Rafa or Joker, but he's still only 25 (soon to be 26) and if you can't see the improvement in his game from his movement (fitness) to his ground strokes, then I don't know what to say.