• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: 3D tv

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never really interested in a 3D tv...thought it was just pretty much a silly novelty....until today!

Wife and I were at Best Buy and they had a display set up...and all I can say is "Wow!" It blew me away.

I'm seriously considering pick one up. My one main concern is the glasses that everyone has to wear for the 3D experience.

Does anyone actually own one of these things? What brands are the best? The one I viewed today was an LG.

Any feedback would be cool.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was never really interested in a 3D tv...thought it was just pretty much a silly novelty....until today!

Wife and I were at Best Buy and they had a display set up...and all I can say is "Wow!" It blew me away.

I'm seriously considering pick one up. My one main concern is the glasses that everyone has to wear for the 3D experience.

Does anyone actually own one of these things? What brands are the best? The one I viewed today was an LG.

Any feedback would be cool.

I'm in the same boat as you. Never really interested me. I did check it out and seems pretty cool. Thing is now I am researching getting a new TV for my man cave, and the price range and type I am looking for seem to include 3D. All I wanted was a 55-60" 1080p. Now many of these are 3D as well.

Might just have to do it.

As for the glasses, I knew the knock on the TV's were buying them for everyone. Decent pairs run around 80-100 so that obviously tacks on a few bucks. I'm guessing some "should" include a free pair.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did electronics retail between semesters last Winter.

Samsung LED or Panasonic Plasma only. Unfortunately newer televisions don't last as long as the box-style televisions, but Panasonic's high-end Plasma had the biggest life-span (100,000 hours) and you can get them with non-reflective screens now. You still can't leave the image paused for extended periods of time though, because it's a Plasma, but Plasma offers the best quality color while it's in 2D mode.

Samsung LED televisions are the most energy efficient, they last almost as long (80,000 to 90,000 hours), but their speed is a little slower than 600Hz Plasmas. It's almost negligible to the human eye though. LGs are hit and miss. Sony is the best alternate to Samsung LED and Panasonic Plasma, but only if there is a really strong deal to sway you from the best.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
keep in mind that the tv makers do have versions ready to go that dont require glasses, but are maxing out the early adopter sales on these ones now. i'd wait a bit

current models will get a lot cheaper if you dont mind the glasses, or new batch will be readily available soon if you do mind them

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep in mind that the tv makers do have versions ready to go that dont require glasses, but are maxing out the early adopter sales on these ones now. i'd wait a bit

current models will get a lot cheaper if you dont mind the glasses, or new batch will be readily available soon if you do mind them

The viewing angle on those sets is borderline horrific compared to the current sets - which in itself is not particularly great.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Samsung LED or Panasonic Plasma only. Unfortunately newer televisions don't last as long as the box-style televisions, but Panasonic's high-end Plasma had the biggest life-span (100,000 hours) and you can get them with non-reflective screens now. You still can't leave the image paused for extended periods of time though, because it's a Plasma, but Plasma offers the best quality color while it's in 2D mode.

Or Samsung Plasma... at the high end model/series it's neck-in-neck with the Panasonic Plasmas... i.e. Samsung C8000 series vs. Panasonic VT25/VT30 series are pretty much the best in class.

On plasma vs. LED, you honestly can't beat plasma for truer colors (not overly bright), viewing angles and, probably most importantly, deepest black colors.

Consumption is about the same and no need to worry about burn-in anymore, so plasma all the way.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question will the 3D work on every channel/show/movie or does it need to be developed to work in 3D kind of like HD was until everything is now shot in HD?

I did watch a movie in 3D at a family members house with the kids. It was cool but I just got sick of wearing those glasses.

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question will the 3D work on every channel/show/movie or does it need to be developed to work in 3D kind of like HD was until everything is now shot in HD?

I did watch a movie in 3D at a family members house with the kids. It was cool but I just got sick of wearing those glasses.

You can turn-on the 3D at any time, but programs or movies not designed in 3D will not look dimensional enough to be worth it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can turn-on the 3D at any time, but programs or movies not designed in 3D will not look dimensional enough to be worth it.

Thanks, rep coming as soon as I can give more.

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm holding out for the 4D experience....I want smell-O-vision, baby!

Naw, man, you need to get one of those "feelies." I took a stacked chick named Lenina to this one called Three Weeks in a Helicopter after we started tripping balls on Somas. Best hard-on ever.

/Huxley

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't like 3D. I don't enjoy 3D movies because my focus keeps changing...I guess I'm just not used to it enough. If I were buying a TV I'd go LCD. Not a big fan of the plasmas (which are much cheaper now-a-days) because of the glare.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not a plasma fan, but I'm leaning towards a 55-50" 1080p LED

LED's are blowing LCD's out of the water. The only to go LCD these days would be because of the price drop, which isn't a terrible reason at all. They are still nice. Technology is just advancing beyond LCD when it comes to television.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Would it be worth getting a 3D if I only intend to use the 3d once in a while? Like I said above, the price range I am looking at seems to include 3D in what I am looking for so I figure why not? It's just I do not specifically want 3D and will probably just use it for movies and such every once in a while.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be worth getting a 3D if I only intend to use the 3d once in a while? Like I said above, the price range I am looking at seems to include 3D in what I am looking for so I figure why not? It's just I do not specifically want 3D and will probably just use it for movies and such every once in a while.

What's the cost gap for you? I just know right now there's a ton of opportunity costs. Glasses, programs, special DVD/Bluray(more likely), Bluray player, specific channels, etc.

One thing I do know, I'd never watch sports in 3D. Just seems weird to me.

quoipourquoi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly, I don't think 3D is particularly special just yet (and maybe not in current televisions' life spans), but it just so happens that the best 2D televisions on the market have 3D as well.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mostly, I don't think 3D is particularly special just yet (and maybe not in current televisions' life spans), but it just so happens that the best 2D televisions on the market have 3D as well.

Thats exactly what I'm getting at. The better TV's I look at end up having 3d, even though I am not searching for a 3D TV