• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: OREGON DUCKS vs Cal Golden Bears 10:30PM Est ESPN

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pellum sucked so what does Helfrich do? He goes out and hires a guy as DC ... a guy who's not an actual DC. That had to be one of the dumbest hires of the season ... 'dumb' doesn't even do it justice.

Regardless of who the DC was, the defense was going to have issues. They don't have good players at LB and there's nothing anyone can really do about it.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who the DC was, the defense was going to have issues. They don't have good players at LB and there's nothing anyone can really do about it.
I understand that but hiring Hoke as a DC was the equaivalant of hiring a motorcycle mechanic to fix cars. He isn't a DC. I mean that right there is the biggest issue of them all ... hiring a guy as a DC that's not an actual DC in real life.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that but hiring Hoke as a DC was the equaivalant of hiring a motorcycle mechanic to fix cars. He isn't a DC. I mean that right there is the biggest issue of them all ... hiring a guy as a DC that's not an actual DC in real life.

I agree that Oregon should have hired a DC with some experience. But Hoke did coach on the defensive side of the ball for 20 seasons as an assistant. It's not like they just picked someone off the street.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Oregon should have hired a DC with some experience. But Hoke did coach on the defensive side of the ball for 20 seasons as an assistant. It's not like they just picked someone off the street.
If it wasn't for all the man hating granola shemales in Eugene (PNW), I'd get uncle Phil's permission to hire Art Briles as the new HC and Justin Wilcox as the DC. It would never happen ... but if it did Oregon would be rolling in no time flat.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't for all the man hating granola shemales in Eugene (PNW), I'd get uncle Phil's permission to hire Art Briles as the new HC and Justin Wilcox as the DC. It would never happen ... but if it did Oregon would be rolling in no time flat.

I've always wanted Wilcox as DC. Kiffin and Wilcox is a realistic combo.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring Hoke as a DC was the 'wtf moment' of the offseason.
I couldn't understand the decision to hire Hoke. At first I thought the hire may have been influenced. By his experience as a DL coach. Which had ties to Oregon state. But I think hiring a DC to improve the defense .Through the play of the defensive line. And the packages they play to obtain the run and get pressure. Is not a logical reason to name a DC. And I get his ties as a former Michigan coach and being a well know name. That it may have had a little to do with recruiting purposes.As well as his history in rebuilding programs But I agree in the end Hoke is not a DC. And there were better options available. They would have been better off going with a lesser known younger coach looking to advance his career. Which would have been much more productive in the present and long term IMO .

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not always an issue. Frost was hired as WR coach when he was a QB. after being a graduate assistant he was LB coach and Co DC before coming to Oregon.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not always an issue. Frost was hired as WR coach when he was a QB. after being a graduate assistant he was LB coach and Co DC before coming to Oregon.
DC is a big time job imo and after the miss on Pellum I would have thought that Helfrich would go out and make a home run hire for the DC position. I mean I get what your saying but it seems to me Helfrich took a big time gamble and lost.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck Chip Kelly was a DB in college and started coaching DB the LB and Special teams at Columbia before moving to offense at New Hampshire

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC is a big time job imo and after the miss on Pellum I would have thought that Helfrich would go out and make a home run hire for the DC position. I mean I get what your saying but it seems to me Helfrich took a big time gamble and lost.
Defensive minded coach with head coaching experience and somewhat of a name but yeah i know what you mean.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always wanted Wilcox as DC. Kiffin and Wilcox is a realistic combo.
Wilcox is an enigma to me. I hated when he was the USC DC. In his tenure I have never seen USC's defense play as bad as they did under Wilcox. Sloppy tackling and execution. And his defensive play calling was extremely frustrating. Not stacking the box on clear running plays. No aggression and a very talented secondary being exposed consistently.

But what he is doing in Wisconsin has been very impressive. Now I'm not sure if it was a Wilcox or SC thing. I have liked what Pendergast has done with the defense this year. There was a massive amount of questions about the SC defense leading into the season. Following their performance last season. And holes that needed to be filled due to losses to the draft. But the defense has been surprisingly the heart of SC this season imo. The offense is starting to come around. But the defense has been very impressive. Aside from a few busted coverages early in the year. And a lock of support from the offense. I'm hoping with the offense appearing to settle down with Darnold. The play a balanced game the rest of the season

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilcox is an enigma to me. I hated when he was the USC DC. In his tenure I have never seen USC's defense play as bad as they did under Wilcox. Sloppy tackling and execution. And his defensive play calling was extremely frustrating. Not stacking the box on clear running plays. No aggression and a very talented secondary being exposed consistently.

But what he is doing in Wisconsin has been very impressive. Now I'm not sure if it was a Wilcox or SC thing. I have liked what Pendergast has done with the defense this year. There was a massive amount of questions about the SC defense leading into the season. Following their performance last season. And holes that needed to be filled due to losses to the draft. But the defense has been surprisingly the heart of SC this season imo. The offense is starting to come around. But the defense has been very impressive. Aside from a few busted coverages early in the year. And a lock of support from the offense. I'm hoping with the offense appearing to settle down with Darnold. The play a balanced game the rest of the season

Wilcox didn't work out for whatever reason at USC. Not sure why but he's been a solid coordinator at other stops and he has ties to Oregon.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilcox didn't work out for whatever reason at USC. Not sure why but he's been a solid coordinator at other stops and he has ties to Oregon.
I dont understand it. But he was extremely frustrating as the SC Defensive coordinator. That was a hell of fake field goal for UVA to tie the game vs NC

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand it. But he was extremely frustrating as the SC Defensive coordinator. That was a hell of fake field goal for UVA to tie the game vs NC

I just saw that on ESPN Goal Line. I've got my Virginia Football T-Shirt on hoping they pull off that upset.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that on ESPN Goal Line. I've got my Virginia Football T-Shirt on hoping they pull off that upset.
SC is on bye week I'm channel flipping. And hoping to see some upsets too. Not sure they are happening today, But that was a great play tho

Great tackle by the ref against TCU :L :dhd:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow....this is a good game... SKOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why the fuck did i get an alert for this??????

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone hacked my acct and made me watch this thread

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game has been on for so long....damn what's taking so long

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we have charts detailing the path forward toward scenario village up here? :noidea: