• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was a hard hit, def a suspension coming there.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't be but Taylor Hall needs to be in the Hart conversation. 18 game point streak, without this guy the Devils are not a playoff team.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ In Shero you trust. Almost 2 seasons in and that deal looks better every day.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean without McJesus, the Oilers would probably be in 31st instead of 27th or wherever place in the standings they are.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean without McJesus, the Oilers would probably be in 31st instead of 27th or wherever place in the standings they are.

I'm kind of disappointed to find out that you view it this way dash. I guess it is the Oilers though, so it's personal too :wink:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Frank, go home, you're drunk.

Unlike the other players in the top 10 in scoring their teams are at least in 1st place or fighting for the playoffs.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of disappointed to find out that you view it this way dash. I guess it is the Oilers though, so it's personal too :wink:

Certainly, my loathing of the Oilers has a major impact towards this particular subject, but I've also watched plenty of Oilers games this season and McJesus hasn't really pushed the needle for me this season. He seems to have games where he piles up the points and other games where he's pretty invisible. I just think there are several other candidates certainly more worthy of the Hart trophy this season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly, my loathing of the Oilers has a major impact towards this particular subject, but I've also watched plenty of Oilers games this season and McJesus hasn't really pushed the needle for me this season. He seems to have games where he piles up the points and other games where he's pretty invisible. I just think there are several other candidates certainly more worthy of the Hart trophy this season.

giphy.gif

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider Connor for the Lindsay. Not the Hart.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's having a good year but the guy's not winning the Hart and shouldn't be considered for it. Not with the Oilers being 27th overall.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, but this is a slightly different argument no?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's having a good year but the guy's not winning the Hart and shouldn't be considered for it. Not with the Oilers being 27th overall.

It's totally his fault. :wink:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider Connor for the Lindsay. Not the Hart.

I see these as the same award with different voters.

That being said, I'm not interested in a 3 page discussion of what "valuable" means and I doubt anyone else is either. So let's move on to something else :wink:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but this is a slightly different argument no?

As you said above, people will have different interpretations of what valuable means and we've hashed and re-hashed this discussion previously, but as far as I'm concerned, you'd better be having just a fantasmagorical season that's leaving everybody in the dust to be considered for the Hart when your team is as lousy as the Oilers. If McDavid was leading the scoring race by 40+ points and had something like a 20 game point streak at some point in this season, I think an argument could be made. As it stands currently, he's in the discussion as one of the best players in the league, but then you look at how his team is doing and that a pretty big negative. At least it's a big negative for me. As Kenny said earlier, he's got a strong case for the Lindsay.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you said above, people will have different interpretations of what valuable means and we've hashed and re-hashed this discussion previously, but as far as I'm concerned, you'd better be having just a fantasmagorical season that's leaving everybody in the dust to be considered for the Hart when your team is as lousy as the Oilers. If McDavid was leading the scoring race by 40+ points and had something like a 20 game point streak at some point in this season, I think an argument could be made. As it stands currently, he's in the discussion as one of the best players in the league, but then you look at how his team is doing and that a pretty big negative. At least it's a big negative for me. As Kenny said earlier, he's got a strong case for the Lindsay.

While this may be a reflection of McDavid's contributions I'm inclined to think that it has little to nothing to do with him. You obviously disagree.

But if we were the Oilers' front office playing "what the fuck happened?" in June 2018 and trying to fix things I don't think you'd be leading with "McDavid has to be better next year". He'd be the least of our problems. So how does that reconcile with the idea that he should be held responsible for the Oilers' shitty record?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this may be a reflection of McDavid's contributions I'm inclined to think that it has little to nothing to do with him. You obviously disagree.

But if we were the Oilers' front office playing "what the fuck happened?" in June 2018 and trying to fix things I don't think you'd be leading with "McDavid has to be better next year". He'd be the least of our problems. So how does that reconcile with the idea that he should be held responsible for the Oilers' shitty record?

I think that's just the label that superstar players get stuck with as I certainly agree that McDavid is the least of the Oilers problems. The other thing to keep in mind is that last year everything went right for the Oilers, they had a cupcake schedule playing tired teams on back-to-back nights 19 times last season plus they experienced very few injuries last season. The chickens as they say have come home to roost this year. That said, none of this can be blamed on McDavid, but he also probably received too much credit last season as well (Cam Talbot was a strong 1A behind Connor as team MVP last season).

I also think the importance of games needs to be taken into account as well and right now, the Oilers are just playing out their remaining games. If somebody (let's say for sake of argument Taylor Hall) continues to put up points and help the Devils into the playoffs, shouldn't the fact that he put up these points in meaningful games helping the Devils to a possible playoff spot carry more weight than points that McDavid puts up?

Status
Not open for further replies.