• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On the Schwartz/Mayhew relationship

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1h #Lions GM Martin Mayhew threw his hands up at coaches meddling in personnel a year ago. Knew firing Schwartz could be the result. It was.

So glad we're keeping Mayhew. :L

I would love some specific details on what actually went on. Just how dysfunctional was this organization and how much did the Ford's take a dump on the fans that make them so much $ because they were to cheap to spend some to get rid of a huge problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he threw his hands up why did he draft Ansah? That wasn't based off Schwartz first hand knowledge? Mayhew seems lucky to have a job IMO.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Regardless of the particulars, we have a GM who's lucky to have a job scapegoating the coaching staff to ownership in order to save his own ass. VERY attractive to prospective coaching candidates.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Regardless of the particulars, we have a GM who's lucky to have a job scapegoating the coaching staff to ownership in order to save his ass. VERY attractive to prospective coaching candidates.

If what Lewand says is true, and not a bold faced lie about the Lions phones blowing up from potential HC candidates because the job is so damn attractive, then this would be opposite of what pro HC think.

No idea if true or a lie, just sayin.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what Lewand says is true, and not a bold faced lie about the Lions phones blowing up from potential HC candidates because the job is so damn attractive, then this would be opposite of what pro HC think.

No idea if true or a lie, just sayin.

Even if true, those "callers" are likely not fully hip to the dysfunction of Allen Park at this point. Also wondering if the "callers" are the type of candidates we're (hopefully) looking for - experienced head coaches.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably get lambasted since I'm clearly out-numbered here, but look at players like Jonte Green and Chris Greenwood, two guy that Mayhew drafted late who have both produced and even made some plays in the very limited action they've been able to receive. You'd think that would be enough for Schwartz to want to use them in place of guys like Drayton Florence, or perhaps a struggling Chris Houston, but it seems like Schwartz only sent Green right back to the bench last year when he proved that he was good enough to hang with any of our CBs.

The problem with being an NFL GM is that you don't get to make any coaching decisions at all, and if you have a head coach whom you don't see eye-to-eye with then things can get very bad, very quickly.

Lastly, we have to remember that Schwartz is known for having a legendary ego- if he and Mayhew disagreed on a player on draft day I can totally see Schwartz black-balling said player because he wasn't who Schwartz wanted drafted.

As long as Xanders is in there with Mayhew I'm a happy camper. They had an outstanding offseason last year...