• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince and Tom Petty on stage together? There's a Fentanyl joke somewhere in there that is too soon to tell.

Pretty awesome, thanks for sharing. Who is the guy to the left of Petty (when watching the video) singing part of Harrison's choruses? He was pretty freaking awesome.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you got bad news, you wanna kick them blues-
Cocaine

When your day is done and you wanna ride on-
Cocaine
And then she asks me,
Do I look alright.

And I say Meh, that dress makes your ass look flat, alright?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway on Rolling Stone's top 500?

No. Prog rock has never been given the credit its fans think it deserves by the critics. I'm not much of a fan either, but groups like The Moody Blues and Yes.. just now getting into the R&R HOF is taking it too far and long overdue.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince and Tom Petty on stage together? There's a Fentanyl joke somewhere in there that is too soon to tell.

Pretty awesome, thanks for sharing. Who is the guy to the left of Petty (when watching the video) singing part of Harrison's choruses? He was pretty freaking awesome.
Jeff Lynne, of ELO fame.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this... If you're committed to this, take your Spotify account to an assisted living home, listen to one album each day with a group of elderly/handicapped shut-ins and discuss the album with them before reporting your results on the Hoop. That way you'd be providing at least some value to the world.

He could also try to get handys from the old ladies.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can probably count the number of "moments" from those Rock and Roll HOF shows on one hand. That one might be at the top of the list.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure as hell ought to be. That album was my introduction to Genesis. Hell of an intro.

Word.

I'm listening to an absolutely muddled station I made on Pandora and Chamber of 32 Doors was on, which got me thinking about it.

If Omar is right, it's fucking crazy that not a single Genesis album makes the top 500. Outkast is in there, for fuck's sake.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Beatles: 4/5 stars. (I am reviewing the album commonly referred to as "The White Album.")

I've been listening to this album everyday for the past four or five days. I've heard each song at least 3 to 4 times, so I have a good feel of each. I did this because a lot of songs with this album take multiple listens to understand and reach a verdict on.

At times, I have slightly mixed feelings about this album, but as a whole piece of work, I'll take the good and the bad with this album and admit that I really enjoy it.

Here's what I liked about this album- unlike seemingly everything else released at the time, this album has specific songs that are disjointed from the rest of the album. While I enjoy a concept album ("The Wall") just as much as the next guy, there is something to be said for an album that lets you listen to each song on its own. And their foray into so many different genres, some genres with success; others, not so much- well, it was an admirable decision to try, in my opinion.

I will definitely agree that this should have been a single album. The only songs I'd keep off of Sides 3 and 4 are "Sexy Sadie," "Revolution 1," and "Savoy Truffle." I'd be willing to keep on "Revolution 9," which I did sort of enjoy in an extremely weird way that I can't describe, but I'd be fine if you cut it and don't view it as essential to The Beatles catalogue. If you keep these three songs, you can cut "Back In The U.S.S.R.," "Wild Honey Pie," and "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" from the first two sides. There, a single album that might be The Beatles' single best album of all time.

As it is, I will take Sgt. Pepper (4/5 stars) over this one. I like some songs on here more than some on Sgt. Pepper, but I do have to knock it for not being succinct and compact enough.

I'll now list my 5 favorite songs off The White Album:

5. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
4. Blackbird
3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
2. Martha My Dear
1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Some notes about my top 5... "Piggies" and "Revolution 1" were near misses. I was shocked to read that "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" has been critically maligned (and the sheer amount of contempt people have for it). I love the song and while yes, it's corny, it epitomizes the "don't worry, be happy" from earlier Beatles work- but with even better production. It's also catchy as hell. I love it.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" slides into my top 3 Beatles songs, after "A Day In The Life" (second favorite) and "With A Little Help From My Friends" (my favorite). All three would likely land in my top 100 songs of all time, regardless of genre.

In a weird sort of way, I sympathize, or at least identify, with this album. I don't think I'm a genius or anything, but in a lot of my work in life, I put out everything that I'm thinking, without editing or trimming it for succinctness. It's something I've got to improve.
Thats a solid top 5 although Rocky Raccoon probably would be in my top 5 somewhere.

I'll be the first to admit that I dont listen to the Beatles on a regular basis but I think they're fantastic in moderation.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word.

I'm listening to an absolutely muddled station I made on Pandora and Chamber of 32 Doors was on, which got me thinking about it.

If Omar is right, it's fucking crazy that not a single Genesis album makes the top 500. Outkast is in there, for fuck's sake.

I saved that list when they originally released it years ago as well as the current one Omar is using. Put them in Excel format. No Genesis on either of them.

Typical Rolling Stone magazine. Genesis didn't kiss Jann Wenner's ass.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saved that list when they originally released it years ago as well as the current one Omar is using. Put them in Excel format. No Genesis on either of them.

Typical Rolling Stone magazine. Genesis didn't kiss Jann Wenner's ass.

Unreal.

I just don't see how that's possible. With PG, they had some amazing albums. Without PG, some good ones and a ton of commercial success. How the fuck do they justify having Cindy Lauper in, but not a single Genesis album?

What about Phil Collins solo albums?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearts & Bones - Paul Simon

That's a beautiful tune.

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder

Awesome tune. This has me wondering if Songs in the Key of Life is on RS's top 500. It should be in there on the strength of the song As alone.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder

Awesome tune. This has me wondering if Songs in the Key of Life is on RS's top 500. It should be in there on the strength of the song As alone.

Songs In The Key Of Life - #57.

Innervisions - #24... for the record.