• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Olli Maatta Pissed Off the Hockey Gods

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the only explanation for this kid's last month. Seriously. 1) labrum surgery, 2) cancer, 3) cancerous mass removed, 4) mumps, 5) second labrum surgery

I was afraid of this when he was out about a week...and it sounds like those worries were valid and the first repair failed. And the sucky part is that second surgery success rates are just not great. The failure to return to previous abilities rate for first labrum surgery is about 10% (not great on it's own), second surgery that probably doubles (not a large sample size because not many get the second surgery). Eff.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the only explanation for this kid's last month. Seriously. 1) labrum surgery, 2) cancer, 3) cancerous mass removed, 4) mumps, 5) second labrum surgery

I was afraid of this when he was out about a week...and it sounds like those worries were valid and the first repair failed. And the sucky part is that second surgery success rates are just not great. The failure to return to previous abilities rate for first labrum surgery is about 10% (not great on it's own), second surgery that probably doubles (not a large sample size because not many get the second surgery). Eff.

He does need to take time off and just be healthy again - hockey doesn't really mean anything at this point - he has too many things going on to be trying to come back - I know he's a warrior but it's just difficult when you have issues left and right - mentally this break could help him - remember too, he played a lot of hockey last season in his rookie year so maybe this break will help him in that sense

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does need to take time off and just be healthy again - hockey doesn't really mean anything at this point - he has too many things going on to be trying to come back - I know he's a warrior but it's just difficult when you have issues left and right - mentally this break could help him - remember too, he played a lot of hockey last season in his rookie year so maybe this break will help him in that sense

He's a really strong guy mentally, at least that's my impression from how he handled the whole cancer thing...but now you're taking away an entire year of hockey. I've seen that he's considering a third opinion (because the first two said surgery), and he probably should stop...even most second opinions aren't worthwhile. The only solution to a torn labrum is another labrum surgery. It's unfortunate for him, but I hope he comes to that conclusion. Just sucks because this is a 9-12 month deal now...first time it's 4-6 months.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a really strong guy mentally, at least that's my impression from how he handled the whole cancer thing...but now you're taking away an entire year of hockey. I've seen that he's considering a third opinion (because the first two said surgery), and he probably should stop...even most second opinions aren't worthwhile. The only solution to a torn labrum is another labrum surgery. It's unfortunate for him, but I hope he comes to that conclusion. Just sucks because this is a 9-12 month deal now...first time it's 4-6 months.

I know he is mentally tough, there's no question there - but so much has happened that I think he needs time off just to heal up and rest - it's a lot on his plate regardless