• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oklahoma to the B1G

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So nice to know those B1G universities graduate such bad professors then. When I was at OU almost half of the math professors had B1G school PhDs. Evidently they weren't good enough for B1G schools. Wonder if the ones from UTexas and Princeton were? :think:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska qualified academically and was AAU . AAU membership can come after IF you qualify. OU does not. Besides OU already petitioned the B10 in 2010 and was denied ( along with KU, ISU, TAMU ) B10 can be super selective in who they add
I stand corrected.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska will likely never be AAU again unless they move the Med Center back on campus, or the AAU changes it's rule back.
School location shouldn't make any difference. That kind of crap makes AAU qualification seem like it is determined more on appearance and checking off boxes than substance. If it is a top notch school, it could be located on the moon!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So nice to know those B1G universities graduate such bad professors then. When I was at OU almost half of the math professors had B1G school PhDs. Evidently they weren't good enough for B1G schools. Wonder if the ones from UTexas and Princeton were? :think:
Funny you mention Princeton. I was a HS principal and school superintendent for over 20 years. We sent many kids to the Ivy league and other so called "prestigious" schools. One graduating class had members go to Penn and Yale. They came by the office the summer after their first year. They were shocked at how poor some of the students were at the schools. They said the dirty little secret in some Ivy League schools is there is a certain number of students allowed in based on parents/grandparents legacy and contributions to the schools and not merit.

I checked with counselors and they said the only schools (not counting military academies) they had come across that doesn't do such things is MIT. I don't know if that is 100% accurate, but we just had a hell of a bruhaha with legislators pulling strings to get some relatives/friends into UT.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
School location shouldn't make any difference. That kind of crap makes AAU qualification seem like it is determined more on appearance and checking off boxes than substance. If it is a top notch school, it could be located on the moon!

This would all have to be moved to campus to get back into AAU. :L

UNMC.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's with me?
I'd only take Oklahoma if we got Texas and kicked out Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue and Indiana or Illinois -- back to 12 teams with a conference championship game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Big12 has this thing called a GOR for fat heads like Dave Boren, OU will stay put and like it.

If Oklahoma finds the right deal, they'll tell the big12 to take that GOR and shove it and flip the double bird on the way out.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The issues with Oklahoma are the admissions floor and the lack of good graduate schools. It has nothing to do with the quality of professors or the ceiling of students.

The B1G has a reputation that the schools are amongst the best public schools in the country. It allows them to pull very good students from the coasts who miss out on the Ivys/Stanford or cannot afford them. It also keeps heavily-qualified Midwest students at their home-state schools when in much of America they would depart top private schools. This reputation means more top students staying in the Midwest and helps the region a ton. You can walk in with a B1G degree and everyone knows you are a competent student.

Allowing in Oklahoma would diminish the brand. Then pretty much anyone with a 23 ACT could say they graduated from a B1G school. And unlike the traditional B1G schools with weak undergrad programs like Iowa, it doesn't have the graduate schools to make up for its undergrads. We did it once with Nebraska and that was bad...doing it twice would be disastrous.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd only take Oklahoma if we got Texas and kicked out Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue and Indiana or Illinois -- back to 12 teams with a conference championship game.
Wait a minute. You can't kick out those five! I was chastised the other day about the possibility of the blue bloods forming their own superconferences for football only. Told the biggies needed the bottom dwellers because they didn't want to play an entire conference schedule of all blue bloods. Too tough.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issues with Oklahoma are the admissions floor and the lack of good graduate schools. It has nothing to do with the quality of professors or the ceiling of students.

The B1G has a reputation that the schools are amongst the best public schools in the country. It allows them to pull very good students from the coasts who miss out on the Ivys/Stanford or cannot afford them. It also keeps heavily-qualified Midwest students at their home-state schools when in much of America they would depart top private schools. This reputation means more top students staying in the Midwest and helps the region a ton. You can walk in with a B1G degree and everyone knows you are a competent student.

Allowing in Oklahoma would diminish the brand. Then pretty much anyone with a 23 ACT could say they graduated from a B1G school. And unlike the traditional B1G schools with weak undergrad programs like Iowa, it doesn't have the graduate schools to make up for its undergrads. We did it once with Nebraska and that was bad...doing it twice would be disastrous.

I honestly didn't realize how bad some people's act scores were until my senior year of high school. I had gotten a 23 at the end of my freshman year, and eventually settled on a 30 at the beginning of my junior year. Didn't see much reason to try for a better score after that. I was amazed how many people I graduated with struggled to get 21-23 their senior year.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a career educator, I can honestly tell you it is pretty easy to teach the already taught...at least as far as academics goes. Using test scores isn't always indicative of performance...in either direction. Teaching the already taught is analogous to a doctor only treating patients who are totally healthy and well. That doctor will have a damn good success rate as long as they never treat ill patients.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly didn't realize how bad some people's act scores were until my senior year of high school. I had gotten a 23 at the end of my freshman year, and eventually settled on a 30 at the beginning of my junior year. Didn't see much reason to try for a better score after that. I was amazed how many people I graduated with struggled to get 21-23 their senior year.
That is actually pretty common. Lot of research done on it and the results as to the causes weren't really conclusive. There may be newer ones now but I'm out of the business now so I don't keep up.

I've had the opposite experience also. Had several students score in the 1800-1900 range on the SAT and flunk out of college. Poor self discipline and work ethic. I can only think of one that overcame that and is very successful. Also had 1400-1500 students that would work their asses off. Nearly all of them have done well.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought:

Notre Dame is NOT AAU...

... sure, Notre Dame is an awesome academic institution, they just aren't up to AAU standards for qualifying as a major research university. The AAU is an elitist organization.

However, if the Irish wanted into the B1G, you could pretty much be assured that the B1G would welcome them with open arms.

AAU membership is NOT a requirement for getting into the B1G.... It's a preference, absolutely... but it is NOT a requirement. Guideline, sure.... preference, sure.... but NOT a requirement.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OU academics are not too bad.

OU Sets Record with Number of Freshman National Merit Scholars

1427904241285.png

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why not many schools bother with it anymore and many that are members have been for decades.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU academics are not too bad.

OU Sets Record with Number of Freshman National Merit Scholars

View attachment 77836

As I said, the issue has nothing to do with the ceiling. Oklahoma pays big money to get elite students and as a result they have many, many top students. The issue is with the floor.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a career educator, I can honestly tell you it is pretty easy to teach the already taught...at least as far as academics goes. Using test scores isn't always indicative of performance...in either direction. Teaching the already taught is analogous to a doctor only treating patients who are totally healthy and well. That doctor will have a damn good success rate as long as they never treat ill patients.

Yup. I can relate. I taught radar electronics for three years in the Air Force. There were students that took tests well and students that didn't take tests so well yet would run circles around others when it came to actually troubleshooting/aligning the equipment.

I'd take the later as an employee. Book-smart people tend to lack common sense.