• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oklahoma @ Ohio St.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you--Speight looked pretty weak last year (average at best), but I'm willing to give him a chance early on. If he isn't able to perform at a high level, then "next man up." Harbaugh is a pretty good judge of talent.
I'd say so. He has to be. But that's only if Peters makes that jump. If not, what are the thoughts on O'Korn?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say so. He has to be. But that's only if Peters makes that jump. If not, what are the thoughts on O'Korn?

I don't have a lot of confidence in O'Korn even though he has a strong arm and is mobile. Harbaugh had O'Korn and Speight in a dead heat before Speight apparently beat him out. We'll have to see if he has improved his game over the course of a year.

I really like Peters. Harbaugh compared Peters to Andrew Luck last season (a high compliment). And, it's worth pointing out that he started Luck as a redshirt freshman (Peters is a RS freshman). In the spring game, Peters made some impressive throws, going 9 of 17, for 160 yards with one touchdown and an interception. He also had a 12-yard touchdown run. IMO, he could be a really great QB.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a lot of confidence in O'Korn even though he has a strong arm and is mobile. Harbaugh had O'Korn and Speight in a dead heat before Speight apparently beat him out. We'll have to see if he has improved his game over the course of a year.

I really like Peters. Harbaugh compared Peters to Andrew Luck last season (a high compliment). And, it's worth pointing out that he started Luck as a redshirt freshman (Peters is a RS freshman). In the spring game, Peters made some impressive throws, going 9 of 17, for 160 yards with one touchdown and an interception. He also had a 12-yard touchdown run. IMO, he could be a really great QB.
I thought Peters was supposed to be the QB of the future when he came there. I was a lot more worried about facing him than Speight. I guess there's a good chance that might happen by The Game.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Peters was supposed to be the QB of the future when he came there. I was a lot more worried about facing him than Speight. I guess there's a good chance that might happen by The Game.

Yup. Peters has been touted as Michigan's QB of the future. But, of course, there will always be competition at that position just as there is at Ohio State. Harbaugh believes in strong competition for all positions but especially QB. McCaffrey for all his raw talent, for example, will have to prove himself better than Peters.

Michigan's use of Denard Robinson as a QB actually set back the development of some players (Speight and Morris, for example) and the team. As exciting as he was to watch and as much as I loved watching him, he was really not a great QB. His other talents bailed him out many times. And, because Brady Hoke rode Robinson, the development of others was neglected.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Peters has been touted as Michigan's QB of the future. But, of course, there will always be competition at that position just as there is at Ohio State. Harbaugh believes in strong competition for all positions but especially QB. McCaffrey for all his raw talent, for example, will have to prove himself better than Peters.

Michigan's use of Denard Robinson as a QB actually set back the development of some players (Speight and Morris, for example) and the team. As exciting as he was to watch and as much as I loved watching him, he was really not a great QB. His other talents bailed him out many times. And, because Brady Hoke rode Robinson, the development of others was neglected.
I'll be honest, Morris never had what it took to play D1 ball. He blew up in the summer camps but was a very pedestrian QB when the pads were on. I never understood why he was so highly rated. Speight, maybe, but is there really anything there other than size that is outstanding?

I think if Peters isn't starting by year's end, something is wrong. It doesn't sound like O'Korn is really part of the future with you guys, and after this year it will be Peters/McCaffrey. Given that this is somewhat of a rebuilding year, I'd have to imagine Peters is starting by Halloween.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, Morris never had what it took to play D1 ball. He blew up in the summer camps but was a very pedestrian QB when the pads were on. I never understood why he was so highly rated. Speight, maybe, but is there really anything there other than size that is outstanding?

I think if Peters isn't starting by year's end, something is wrong. It doesn't sound like O'Korn is really part of the future with you guys, and after this year it will be Peters/McCaffrey. Given that this is somewhat of a rebuilding year, I'd have to imagine Peters is starting by Halloween.

As I said, I'd like to see what Speight can do, but I'd keep him on a very short leash. I like Peters and look forward to McCaffrey.

What about Barrett? Accuracy has been his Achilles heel in the past. Who's backing him up? Who's Ohio State's QB of the future?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, I'd like to see what Speight can do, but I'd keep him on a very short leash. I like Peters and look forward to McCaffrey.

What about Barrett? Accuracy has been his Achilles heel in the past. Who's backing him up? Who's Ohio State's QB of the future?
Accuracy was his achilles last year, but it didn't help that our offense was incompetently run. I think he'll take a major step forward this year with Wilson. Remember in 2014 when he had Herman, he was a Heisman semi-finalist and almost made it to the ceremony. He doesn't have a strong arm, but it's not as weak as some people think. He had no problem throwing the ball 60 yards during the spring game with one step. This is also a good idea of his deep ball, which has been praised this spring by Wilson as being dramatically improved over last year:

For the future, in my mind, it's Dwayne Haskins. I think if Barrett got hurt today, Joe Burrow would step in as the starter and make no mistake, he's a stud. I mentioned in another thread that if he was at Wisconsin, they'd be unbeaten this year going into the CCG. He has next level potential. However, Haskins is on another planet. He's only in his second year, but he can hit the windows and has tremendous arm strength. I think by next year, he'll beat out Burrow as the starter just because he has that much potential. Urban went so far as to say Haskins was "the best pure passer I've ever recruited".

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dhd:@ Michigan not being able to win a flag football conference..

You do realize I was talking about the Big 12 being a flag football league, right? You know, where playing defense is optional.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize I was talking about the Big 12 being a flag football league, right? You know, where playing defense is optional.
Yes and I was saying that Michigan would have zero shot at winning that conference just like they didn't win the BIG. Offense is not good enough to keep up week to week.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know Harbaugh likes being super secretive. They haven't even updated their official roster yet. I find it hard to believe Speight suddenly becomes all-world. He's just an average QB, a game manager. He's like a poor man's Craig Krenzel. If Peters isn't starting by Halloween, I can't see that being a good thing for his progression.

I'm not a huge fan of Speight, but you are WAY underselling him. He had a QB rating last year better than JT Barrett. That is why I said -- I hope many of the late season mistakes were due to the shoulder injury he missed time with and then had surgery for.

Do I think he will set the world on fire? No. But he is not Craig Krenzel. Hell, he threw for 500 more yards than Krenzel did in any season and he missed one game and sat out the 2nd half in 2 or 3 others. He also completed 62% of his passes for 19 tds and 8 ints. Krenzel completed 55% with 28 tds and 21 ints.

I am on record as saying, not only will Speight get drafted, he will get drafted higher than JT Barrett.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of Speight, but you are WAY underselling him. He had a QB rating last year better than JT Barrett. That is why I said -- I hope many of the late season mistakes were due to the shoulder injury he missed time with and then had surgery for.

Do I think he will set the world on fire? No. But he is not Craig Krenzel. Hell, he threw for 500 more yards than Krenzel did in any season and he missed one game and sat out the 2nd half in 2 or 3 others. He also completed 62% of his passes for 19 tds and 8 ints. Krenzel completed 55% with 28 tds and 21 ints.

I am on record as saying, not only will Speight get drafted, he will get drafted higher than JT Barrett.

Everyone knows that JT Barrett is not a NFL QB, so I don't understand the obsession with Speight getting drafted before him? It would be sad if he didn't. If he gets benched though your prediction probably falls apart. Someone will throw Barrett a bone in like the 5th round (Like Troy Smith) if he has a healthy decent season.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speight is a better than average QB. If he has people that can run patterns and catch the football, he can be quite dangerous.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and I was saying that Michigan would have zero shot at winning that conference just like they didn't win the BIG. Offense is not good enough to keep up week to week.

You mean the offense that ranked higher than every Big 12, minus Oklahoma and Texas Tech, without the luxury of playing flag football defenses in the Big 12?

Michigan was 1 of 6 teams in a P5 conference to average 40 or more points per game. Yet in the worst conference where no one plays defense, they couldnt do it. :lol:

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as this game goes, probably similar to last year but maybe a little bit closer. 38-27? or something like that

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the offense that ranked higher than every Big 12, minus Oklahoma and Texas Tech, without the luxury of playing flag football defenses in the Big 12?

Michigan was 1 of 6 teams in a P5 conference to average 40 or more points per game. Yet in the worst conference where no one plays defense, they couldnt do it. :lol:

Lol at thinking you didn't play shitty defenses. Patterson was considered a defensive genius. Now his team gives up points every weekend.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows that JT Barrett is not a NFL QB, so I don't understand the obsession with Speight getting drafted before him? It would be sad if he didn't. If he gets benched though your prediction probably falls apart. Someone will throw Barrett a bone in like the 5th round (Like Troy Smith) if he has a healthy decent season.

It won't matter if Peters passes him up on the depth chart during the season. Speight has many qualities NFL teams love. His size, arm strength and accuracy will get him drafted.

Speights problem -- Peters is just as tall, more athletic, more mobile and has a stronger arm. Experience trumps all and Speight has that on his side.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB rating is the only thing he has over Barrett in Barrett's worst year as a full-time starter? That's not saying much of anything. QB rating also means about nothing. Logan Woodside, Mike White, Zach Terrell, Nick Stevens, and Ryan Higgins all had better QB ratings than Mitch Trubisky. Who would you rather have?

I pointed out earlier that 11 of his 18 TDs came against 4 awful teams. Pro ratings mean nothing, we're talking about college QBs here, and Barrett is worlds better and you know you'd rather have him over Speight. Maybe he'll get picked over Barrett, maybe not. The only reason would be his size and the team he plays on. That dude has shown nothing to make anyone think he has what it takes to be a pro QB.

For the record:
Brandon Weeden was taken before Russell Wilson
Johnny Manziel was taken before Derek Carr
Brock Osweiler was taken before Kirk Cousins
Ricky Stanzi was taken before Tyrod Taylor
Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbart, and Christian Ponder were taken before Andy Dalton

These are just from the last 5 years or so. I'm not sure how that has anything to do with our conversation. Barrett has been a wildly successful college QB as Speight hasn't really accomplished anything.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What about Barrett? Accuracy has been his Achilles heel. And, who's the next man up?