• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio State trying to end Mirror Lake tradition after student death

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State Is Axing One Of Its Football Traditions After Student Death

""University leadership strongly agrees that we will work with our campus community to end this annual event," school spokesman Chris Davey announced in a written statement. "In spite of significant efforts taken to make this event a safer one, this tragedy has occurred ... [W]e cannot risk another tragedy.""

Seems pretty drastic to cancel a tradition like this just because one student with heart problems died.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

""University leadership strongly agrees that we will work with our campus community to end this annual event," school spokesman Chris Davey announced in a written statement. "In spite of significant efforts taken to make this event a safer one, this tragedy has occurred ... [W]e cannot risk another tragedy.""

Seems pretty drastic to cancel a tradition like this just because one student with heart problems died.
It's the society in which we live. Swat the fly off our friend's forehead with a pick ax.

I am shocked that this has not happened before. Scantily clad drunken college students in huge crowds, freezing temperatures, water - - - what could go wrong?

The liability goons will try their best to keep this from happening, but a couple of years ago when they started fencing the lake off, the crowd just knocked it down and jumped anyway. They will try, but as they say, where there is a will and enough Jack Daniels, there is a way.

I don't think the tradition should end and even suggesting such is a gross over-reaction. #whatashock

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say this as someone who enjoyed this tradition every year while I lived in Columbus but the school is taking the right steps to protect itself. There has always been issues with this event, this just happens to be the worst one. Could you imagine what a good lawyer would hit Ohio State with if another student died?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always found jumping in water during mid 30s temperatures as damn foolish and something only a complete moron would do but hey it's "tradition" and now you're dead. RIP