• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL Post-Draft Analysis

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have our first hit and miss

Jovon Robinson dismissed from Auburn.

Kerryon Johnson to start.

Red Snow and Navin appear to have the first casuality every year!

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happens to me EVERY YEAR! Right after the draft I lose someone. Something about Robinson told me not to draft him after he sucked it up last year, but every sign pointed to him having a great off-season and Auburn relying heavily on him this season.

Shame on me for not covering it with Kerryon Johnson. My plan was to draft him about a round or two after Steve took him. Sounds like Auburn may use a few guys to take on the carry load but is there a more hated high draft pick in soul 12 history? Jovon Robinson now screwed the guy who took him early last year and me.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a huge get for Steve. Roc Thomas also transferred. Kerryon Johnson was a guy I had on my list as a sleeper even with Jovon listed ahead of him on the depth chart. My plan was to take him about where I took Rodney Smith. This move probably puts Steve as the early front runner to me.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

This year the title is Stevie's to lose.

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettors react to Jovon Robinson news:

Bovada Soul-12 Championship Betting Odds (Updated August 3, 8:35pm EST)

Paper Tigers: 1-5
Asian Alley Cats: 8-1
Heisman Hopefuls: 15-1
California Raisins: 18-1
Skeet Shooters: 18-1
Orgy of Evil: 20-1
Crime Dogs: 20-1
Winsley’s Warriors: 30-1
Vampire Ducks: 40-1
End Zone Divas: 50-1
Smurf Turfers: 50-1
Drunk Jocks: 150-1

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel so bad Snow. Last year I lost Jonathan Williams who was my keeper after the draft and I still did really well. :)
It just baffles me how this happens to Snow every year. I wouldn't wish being drafted by Snow on anyone. ;)

Jovon Robinson could be a sick talent if he ever put it all together, but he seems unfocused after apparently a poor work ethic last year that kept him out of the lineup and now getting kicked off Auburn. Now he is going to have to go play for Heisman Hopeful A&M. University.

Q was raving about your team throughout the draft and I told him just wait he will lose someone like he does every year before the season starts.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel so bad Snow. Last year I lost Jonathan Williams who was my keeper after the draft and I still did really well. :)
It just baffles me how this happens to Snow every year. I wouldn't wish being drafted by Snow on anyone. ;)

Jovon Robinson could be a sick talent if he ever put it all together, but he seems unfocused after apparently a poor work ethic last year that kept him out of the lineup and now getting kicked off Auburn. Now he is going to have to go play for Heisman Hopeful A&M. University.

Q was raving about your team throughout the draft and I told him just wait he will lose someone like he does every year before the season starts.

To be fair, as far as major losses go, this about as well as RS could've hoped. Adams would've been a far bigger loss.

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, as far as major losses go, this about as well as RS could've hoped. Adams would've been a far bigger loss.

To be honest when I was on the clock in Round 4 my first thought was to go Josh Adams. I then looked at all the RB's left and figured I could get him in round 5. So I was a bit at a loss of what to do. Needing a RB valuing Adams even a bit more I figured I could sneak another RB in round 4 and still get Adams in round 5. Initially I was going to go with Shock Linwood, but then Jovon Robinson just sort of got in my head, what he was suppose to be and what coaches had been saying about him going into this year. Life goes on. I am still happy with my team and feel I am still in good shape. Be fun to see if anyone else steps up. I figure you're going to miss out on an early pick every year anyway. Now Adams and McMillian really can't slack.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest when I was on the clock in Round 4 my first thought was to go Josh Adams. I then looked at all the RB's left and figured I could get him in round 5. So I was a bit at a loss of what to do. Needing a RB valuing Adams even a bit more I figured I could sneak another RB in round 4 and still get Adams in round 5. Initially I was going to go with Shock Linwood, but then Jovon Robinson just sort of got in my head, what he was suppose to be and what coaches had been saying about him going into this year. Life goes on. I am still happy with my team and feel I am still in good shape. Be fun to see if anyone else steps up. I figure you're going to miss out on an early pick every year anyway. Now Adams and McMillian really can't slack.

I'll trade you Thompson for a WR lol

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that satisfied with my draft this year. It seemed my target was always being drafted right ahead of where I wanted to take him, and I was scrambling to recover.

As Stevie said, I have very few sure things, but I have some good risks. I am quite confident that players will emerge into stars for me at all of my positions other than QB. It felt that QB was never a good value in this draft, and when I took one, it was usually "well, QB is my position of need, so I better take one even though the value is better in other places"

I can only remember one other year where I was this uncertain about my team post-draft. That was in 2009. That said, 2009 was the second of my two championship years and now, as i look back on it, it was clearly my best draft ever in terms of panning out. This year, I'm certainly not a favorite, but i'd say my odds are significantly better than 40-1

With regard to the Austin Allen pick, I'm a lot higher on him than most of you guys are (obviously). You can think whatever you want, but here's the logic behind the pick.
  1. As DC said, the WRs are really really good. That team's most experienced unit is clearly the WRs, and Bielema as a coach always plays to his strengths. At Wisconsin and early on at Arkansas, that was the running game, but last year proved that when the passing game is the strength of the team, he's willing to go with that.

2. Bielema isn't even calling the plays. OC and QB coach Dan Enos is. And Enos calls a very QB-friendly game. He was calling the plays for Dan LeFevour back at Central Michigan, back when LeFevour would have been a first round pick if we had been able to use MAC players.

3. Also as DC said, Arkansas's defense isn't all that good. This is not a team that is going to have the option to lean on their running backs. Big deficits are a Fantasy QB's best friend.

4. And finally, from everything I read, Austin Allen is REALLY impressing this summer. I mean, really really impressing. Just as one example, he went to the Archie Manning QB academy in June. Other attendees included Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly, Baker Mayfield, Joshua Dobbs, Trevor Knight, and Josh Rosen. And after the camp, all Archie Manning could talk about was how impressive AUSTIN ALLEN was.
If everyone else thinks that he was a reach in round 6, then I could probably have gotten him a round or two later, and so it was a reach pick. But I did my homework on the kid, and I fully expect him to have a breakout year. I didn't want to lose out on him. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The updated odds are a joke based on the exaggeration of the impact of Auburn's running game changes.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may be other pretenders, but there is only one post-draft analysis.

Own Team Analysis:

- Unlike previous drafts, this was a draft where every time I wanted a guy and thought he might get taken (Howard, Carrington, Coley, and a few other spots) they ended up still being available. Started off with two mediocre keepers though. Probably toward the bottom of the keeper pile, but not at the very, very bottom. I feel confident that QB Skyler Howard will be a good QB1. After that, I think Joel Lanning and Trevor Knight will alternate starts depending on schedule. Lanning really runs a lot and should run in some TDs while down 31-14 to the TTEch, Baylor, Oklahoma States of the conference. Knight has some opponents that are tough to play against like Bama, Tenn, Miss, LSU. Also could see Blough getting a couple starts. RB is the weakness here and could make or break season. Nick Wilson, if healthy, will do fine, but that’s if healthy. It seems like LJ Scott will be the guy but MSU offense could go back to being anemic like a few years ago. I drafted Webb to be a 100 yard and hopefully a TD guy when I need a start. The main issue is if one of top two go down, I may need Webb or someone else to break through to be 2nd RB. I designed team to start 4 WRs. I like the top 3 a lot. Pringle was probably earlier than necessary but it just seems like a perfect situation there. My hope is that two of Carrington/Coley/Pringle turn into stars and can ride big WR games when Webb is playing and only gets me 4 points.

Favorite of Own Picks:

- Round 2 – Skyler Howard. I thought he’d be a first rounder. Last year he played mediocre at best and still put up over 20ppg. With a weaker D and Smallwood gone, Howard should be in some shootouts and be a QB a bit below the Falk/Watson/Mahomes level but with the next group.

- Round 18 – David Blough – If you put them together, Purdue’s QBs actually went for about 19 ppg. They have an easy schedule. Games against teams like Indiana, Nebraska, Cincy, EKU are possible spot starters. I think its rather clear he’s the starter.

- Round 23 – Derrick Green – At this point, why not? Guy who was heavily recruited in a new setting. No established RB there. Should get goalline carries if he gets anything. If he becomes the #1 back, albeit unlikely, there would be great value.

Least Favorite of Own Picks

- Keeper Decisions? I still think my decisions were OK but it was really surprising to see James Conner go first round and then Davis Webb go 2nd. I don’t think that Nick Wilson or Trevor Knight would have gone as early as those guys which means my decisions obviously don’t jive with some of the other league member views. It will be very interesting for me to see if Conner outperforms Wilson and whether Webb outperforms Knight. I felt like Conner carried so much risk with Ollison there, no receiving threats, a tougher schedule, and coming over bad injury/cancer and then Webb has the tough schedule and unknown weapons.

- LJ Scott – 3rd Round – I was deciding between River Cracraft and Dede Westbrook. Was leaning toward Dede Westbrook after analyzing Wazzou #s, then decided on LJ Scott because the RBs seemed to drop off after him. Quotes seem to indicate MSU wants a single RB to rely on and most everyone sees that as Scott but it is still quite risky in the 3rd round. If I went Westbrook it would have been a long time until my next pick in late Round 4 for my RB2 and I’d have to rely on the unreliable Wilson too much.

Favorite of Other Team Picks: (FOR THE RECORD, MY 5 PICKS LAST YEAR IN THIS CATEGORY WERE RIVER CRACRAFT, STORM WOODS, GERONIMO ALLISON, CHARLES JONES, AND LESHUN DANIELS. DO NOT GET DEPRESSED IF YOUR SLEEPER IS NOT ON THIS LIST)

- Round 3 – California Raisins – Dede Westbrook – As noted above, I liked him a lot. Only really proven guy at WR. There should be plenty of scores to go around. I could see something like 70-1000-9 or so.

- Round 4 – End Zone Divas – Tommy Armstrong – For all the criticism, the other QBs haven’t shown much and he’s probably still the guy. Puts up good fantasy numbers when he’s in there.

- Round 5 – Smurf Turfers – Justin Stockton – So much potential here between rushing/passing. Seems to be a division in Red Raider fanbase as to whether they will split carries or if Stockton will be the clear #1.

- Round 9 – Drunk Jocks – Reginald Davis – Seems like he is a dog-house resident but hard to argue with a TTech WR who had 8 TDs in Round 9.

- Round 12 – Winsley Warriors – Mitch Leidner –Easy schedule, good arm, more open offense, healthy to run like 2014. Won’t be a star but I’m very confident he’ll be useful.

- Round 15/16 – Drunk Jocks – Manny Wilkins/Brady White – This will work out as long as they don’t platoon and ASU normally hasn’t done that too much.

Other Team Picks I don’t like so much

- Round 2 – Winsley Warriors – Justin Jackson – This pick was so bad I should have it in its own category. Northwestern offense has been anemic. They can’t get in the endzone. They ran him through a wall last year. At his size, I can’t believe he’ll get 300+ carries again. He is basically similar to Mike Warren drafted in 3rd round and hasn’t really done much of anything Ralph Webb hasn’t done.

- Round 4 – Smurf Turfers – Brad Kaaya – I just think the upside is limited here. I picked his top WR so I don’t think he’ll be bad but without running as a QB, to be worth a 4th round pick you have to launch it a lot and Richt has too many RBs to play with to get Kaaya past the 20ppg mark.

- Round 6 – Vampire Ducks – Austin Allen – I think Arkansas will run the ball and that last year was an enigma. You Austin are no Brandon.

- Round 6 – Orgy of Evil – Mack Hollins – Just too many weapons on UNC with a tougher schedule this year.

- Round 13 – Skeet Shooters – Gerald Wicks – Feels like a wasted pick to select a Wazzou RB. I can’t imagine them using him enough to start him.

Seems like a good time to revisit some pre-season thoughts.

Revisiting a couple early-season debates - - - - -

Guess Byron Pringle wasn't worth a round 6 or 16 pick. They just don't throw.

Q didn't like Skyler Howard but he's actually been pretty good. I was right there. Two-game week coming up for him to help me further.

The concerns about Torii Hunter were right. EQ St Brown has been the #1.

Gerald Wicks actually scored 11 TDs somehow. Not sure that it is predictable enough though to play. There are games where he has gotten like 2 or 3 carries.

On my own team, the things that hurt me were taking LJ Scott over Dede Westbrook, the rotating Iowa State QBs, and once again Joel Lanning going down. What has kept me above .500 are two early/mid season pickups of Phillip Lindsay and Austin Carr and then decent consistency most weeks across the three positions.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a good time to revisit some pre-season thoughts.

Revisiting a couple early-season debates - - - - -

Guess Byron Pringle wasn't worth a round 6 or 16 pick. They just don't throw.

Q didn't like Skyler Howard but he's actually been pretty good. I was right there. Two-game week coming up for him to help me further.

The concerns about Torii Hunter were right. EQ St Brown has been the #1.

Gerald Wicks actually scored 11 TDs somehow. Not sure that it is predictable enough though to play. There are games where he has gotten like 2 or 3 carries.

On my own team, the things that hurt me were taking LJ Scott over Dede Westbrook, the rotating Iowa State QBs, and once again Joel Lanning going down. What has kept me above .500 are two early/mid season pickups of Phillip Lindsay and Austin Carr and then decent consistency most weeks across the three positions.

Trace McSorely has been almost as good as howard.

Evans from Va Tech went in the 7th.

But yeah Howard has been fine. But you could've probably gotten Westbrook and Howard.

I'm still miffed at how EQ St Brown went from off the spring 2 deep to where he is now.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why you are miffed. St. Brown is the most talented Notre Dame WR and Torii Hunter has never really stuck out to me. When I took Noah Brown it was between he and St. Brown... Brown while not bad isn't consistent enough so I should have went St. Brown, but WR hasn't been an issue for me all year so oh well. I haven't picked up a WR on waivers the past two years now. But I always felt like St. Brown likely had the best chance to be the NDame fantasy WR and not Hunter.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why you are miffed. St. Brown is the most talented Notre Dame WR and Torii Hunter has never really stuck out to me. When I took Noah Brown it was between he and St. Brown... Brown while not bad isn't consistent enough so I should have went St. Brown, but WR hasn't been an issue for me all year so oh well. I haven't picked up a WR on waivers the past two years now. But I always felt like St. Brown likely had the best chance to be the NDame fantasy WR and not Hunter.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Conner had a weird year, I never thought he'd lose goal line carries to anyone, but he still ended up with almost 1400 total years and 20 TDs. I'll call that a hit.

Trubisky in round 2 worked out fine. Would I have been better off with Davis Webb? Probably. But I'll take it.

Joe Williams....jesus christ. What a weird year. Awful for 2 starts, retires, thankfully I kept losing out on waiver guys or I would've cut him. And then he comes back and finishes strong.

Torii Hunter Jr- I admit I was never a huge fan of this pick. The WR market never seems to fall my way. But there was a ton of passing yards open and he was the top and highest rated guy coming back. A gamble that backfired. I probably should've taken Fred Ross at the williams pick.

Leshun Daniels- he was ok. But sharing carries made him hard to start. Most of his good games came when I had him on the bench. But almost 1100 yards and 10 TDs in round 5 isn't a bad pick.

Geno Lewis- He can go to hell and die. To be fair I was down to him and Shay Fields.

Tim White- started off strong with a lot of caches, but hurt his ankle and kind of slowed down. Plus he hasn't gotten in the EZ very often at all.

Deveon Smith- he was just bad. If you told me he was going to stay healthy all year I'd have thought he could've matched what Daniels did. But Harbaugh, for like the first time ever, went to a rotation at RB.

Ishmael Zamora- considering he could've been suspended for the year, I'll take what I got. He has been a solid addition. His numbers over 8 games have been beyond adequate. And plenty of TDs.

Jesse Ertz- my 3rd QB that had GREAT bye week filler matchups for Falk and Trub, face-planted. Ouchy.

Deonte Gray- guy was the TCU #2 in 2014 and missed a lot of time with injury. Just never got back into it.

Mark Thompson- really took him cause I just saw it as a value play. BPA really. But man he sucked too.

Tyler Hilinski- my Falk insurance. And with Bender transferring to Kansas next year, I should have the Wazzu QB no matter what in 2017. For that alone, this pick is a win.

Qadree Ollison- 1000 yard rusher last year with Conner hurt, somehow ended up like 8th on the Pitt RB depth chart this year.

Greg Huegel- Not a great pick. Clemson struggled on O and he ended up behind quite a few P5 kickers.

Dylan Cantrell- decent find for a late round pick. had a few nice games for me. Although needing to play him probably said more about my previous WR picks than him. But considering how many tech backup WRs have been taken in this league, Cantrell has been one of the better ones.

Laquivante Gonzalez- again a moderate bye week filler who had a few nice games, i even started him for one of them. lol

Trace McSorely - 80% of Skylar Howard for 1/10th the price. Call this a solid win.

Bryce Love- purely a HR swing that never had the opportunity to get used.

Corey Holmes - atop the ND 2 deep at WR come draft time, he blew goats.

Anthony Nash- big, useless. Had like 1 big game where I had him on the bench, then got hurt.

Kenneth Walker UCLA - hit or miss, big time. Missed a lot more often.

Tommy Stevens - cut early, didn't need him cause McSorely was so good.

Alex Delton - cut. He couldn't even beat out the shitty backup QB at K State.