• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can rest easy knowing that Moreland was given years and years of opportunity.

I'm not bemoaning the fact he's outta here. And I agree, he was given more than "several" opportunities.

But it would just be our/JD's luck he'll go elsewhere and have productive season after productive season.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not bemoaning the fact he's outta here. And I agree, he was given more than "several" opportunities.

But it would just be our/JD's luck he'll go elsewhere and have productive season after productive season.

If that happened, I'd honestly be pretty pissed off at Mitch for finding that ability once he left here.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We expect to contend and win," Daniels said. "But not at the expense of the franchise. When you go all in, you have just one directive. When you rebuild, same thing. What we believe we can do is put a mix of both those. We can put a good product on the field and keep the integrity of the system intact. We have a challenge ahead of us, and we're going to work through it."

Rangers walk perilous line between short-term World Series goals, long-term stability at winter meetings | SportsDay

Sometimes when you try to walk down the middle of the road you get run over.

I know JD doesnt usually show his hand or he can manipulate his words to not let others know exactly what he has going on at times, but all things point to the Rangers FO being willing to take a few steps backwards with the intent to move forward down the road. Not what fans like to see or hear usually however!

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know JD doesnt usually show his hand or he can manipulate his words to not let others know exactly what he has going on at times, but all things point to the Rangers FO being willing to take a few steps backwards with the intent to move forward down the road. Not what fans like to see or hear usually however!
Better not step back to far. How long will Beltre, Darvish and Hammels be here.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Surely not.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better not step back to far. How long will Beltre, Darvish and Hammels be here.
That's the problem to me. He won't consider stepping back far enough and he won't step forward far enough.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember Adrian Gonzalez? How about Chris Davis?

Between them they had maybe 3 full seasons here. Mitch has had double that.

In fact, you could probably make the case that they held onto Mitch as long as they did in the hopes that they wouldn't miss the breakout that AG or CD had because they cut bait too soon.

I guess my point is, it's probably unlikely Mitch has a true breakout year akin to those two, but if he does, JD doesn't deserve a drop of criticism over it (not that you were doing that).

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my point is, it's probably unlikely Mitch has a true breakout year akin to those two, but if he does, JD doesn't deserve a drop of criticism over it (not that you were doing that).

I hear ya. And your facts - yes, you TOO saddles - are right on. But at the same time, if MM goes elsewhere and shines it's still gonna be three 1st baseman that haven't cut it here - granted for varying reasons - that have somewhere else under JD's watch.

Actually, I wanted Mitch gone before last year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Discussed Deal With Reds For Starting Pitching

The Rangers and Reds have discussed a trade potentially involving either Anthony DeSclafani or Dan Straily, MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan tweets. Sullivan adds that another option for the Rangers as they attempt to address their rotation could be a reunion with free agent Colby Lewis. The Reds, meanwhile, are interested in reliever Jeremy Jeffress.

DeSclafani, it would seem, would be the more valuable of the two Reds trade chips. The 26-year-old righty posted a 3.28 ERA, 7.7 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 in 123 1/3 solid innings in 2016, and with less than three years of service time, he could be a solid middle-of-the-rotation piece for years to come. The 28-year-old Straily, though, also had a surprisingly solid year after arriving in Cincinnati via a waiver claim, posting a 3.76 ERA, 7.6 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 while eating 191 1/3 innings.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeScalfani yes, Straily no.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you will really love this article.

Report: Mitch Moreland goes to Boston; is Joey Gallo ready to compete for Rangers job? | SportsDay

The question going forward will be whether Gallo is ready to compete for the first base job or if he needs more time in the minor leagues after two mostly disappointing brief stints in the majors.

"Joey continues to progress," manager Jeff Banister said. "I think that we still consider Joey as a tremendous talent, a guy that's going to continue to progress. He comes to spring training with us and fights to try to contend for a position. Now, we've got to evaluate all of our players, where they fit on the team, and then evaluate whether or not that the best thing for Joey is to be on a Major League team or to continue to get at-bats in the minors."

Gallo has had more than 2,000 minor league plate appearances, which is a significant figure, but he's also only 23. It's conceivable that because of his frame and long swing, he could use more reps.

"Joey is not an average player," GM Jon Daniels said. "He doesn't just show up on the bell curve. He's an outlier in talent and could be an outlier in when he's ready."

Gallo posted an .896 OPS at Triple-A last year, but struck out in 19 of 25 major league at-bats. He had just one hit in the majors and finished hitless in his last 22 at-bats. He went to Venezuela in November to work on his swing, but strained his hamstring just three games in.

"When you dial down on a Joey Gallo and you look at the velocity when he puts the ball in play, he's in an elite category.," Banister said. "We know the potential there. It's just the ability to be consistent with the potential. It comes down to showing the ability to make adjustments and handle the Major League life. This is a tough place to play. It's not just show up and play. There's some meritorious events that have to happen to be able to play at the Major League level."

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch we hardly knew ye! I know you don't want to make much noice at the Winter Meetings, JD. But now would be a pretty good time.
Dadgum it's DG