• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get this; sort of. Frankly, I don't think anything is more important "long term" for this franchise than what happens with Darvish after 2017.

If Yu is gone after next season, then our team is going to look totally different in 2018 IMO. That's why I want him presented with a legitimate, good faith offer now so we can make a decent plan going forward.
I wanted him extended a few years back myself.

I think the Darvish extension is extremely important, but it isn't quite as pressing as these other moves.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody interested in spending on a closer and moving everyone in the pen down a notch in the pecking order and then using a bullpen piece or two as trade bait? I think we could stand to trade a piece now and if we get a closer we could trade two relievers.

Well.....this guy is available.

Aroldis Chapman wants a six-year deal and says the Chicago Cubs haven't shown interest in bringing him back.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Darvish extension is extremely important, but it isn't quite as pressing as these other moves.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with ya. Nothing is more important than how we handle the Yu situation IMO.

What if: JD goes to Darvish to discuss buying out his last year, extending him for 6 years, and gives him an out option in 3 years and Yu says, no thanks? Or if he expresses the desire to "to see what the FA market may bear."

Both of these tell ya, it's not looking good at all for us retaining him and it's time for us to explore his value right now.

Some of these moves we're contemplating, i.e. Desmond for 3/4+ years, bringing back MM, etc aren't on the table if Yu is gone. Agree?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to respectfully disagree with ya. Nothing is more important than how we handle the Yu situation IMO.

What if: JD goes to Darvish to discuss buying out his last year, extending him for 6 years, and gives him an out option in 3 years and Yu says, no thanks? Or if he expresses the desire to "to see what the FA market may bear."

Both of these tell ya, it's not looking good at all for us retaining him and it's time for us to explore his value right now.

Some of these moves we're contemplating, i.e. Desmond for 3/4+ years, bringing back MM, etc aren't on the table if Yu is gone. Agree?
I think JD views it differently than you and I do though. He thinks if Yu doesn't come back he will just trade a bunch of prospects to get another ace in here. I also don't think even if JD went to Yu's agent today and didn't get a deal done that he would necessarily give up on re-signing Yu. I don't think there is any way that JD is going to entertain the idea of trading Yu this offseason. That is giving up on next season and JD has shown he won't give up on a season before it even starts. In fact, sometimes he makes desperation moves like the Choo and Fielder moves instead of giving up.

Again, we agree that extending Yu is the most important. I just don't see the most important as being what has to get done first. Somehow this reminds me of that GMC commercial that I don't get. It is the one that shows a guy's neighbor bragging about what he saved hundreds on Black Friday deals to which the guy retorts that he instead of going Black Friday shopping went and bought him a GMC truck and saved thousands. All the while the ad states that those GMC deals are good all month long. The guy could have just as easily saved hundreds of dollars by going Black Friday shopping and then still saved thousands more by going another day to get the truck.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to be honest, I thought Profar got a lot of run for a guy who didn't have explosive tools.

I like him at 2B, although it sounds like he still needed to trim up his body a bit if he wanted to stay a MIF.

But Odor in LF is an interesting idea.

I agree with those of you saying to DH choo, maybe add a cheap RH to DH part time there like Plouffe (but again, this was the "2 roster spot" value of Beltran that I was talking about earlier). @Kelleyman does this clear that up?

Ok there is some validity to the toolsyness odd Beltran. I am of course being a bit homer in initial response but I do not think he is worth $16 mill to Rangers. Perhaps Astros can protect him in COF and likely more now fences brought in but I was very excited re his clutch factor when we brought him on and he did very little for us in the postseason. Maybe Father Time has caught up and last year was an outlier

Re Profar. I think he ran out of gas and we have seen the worst of him in the second half. If a team wants a SS that is where his value is trade wise but otherwise I think he gets his reps here in a variety of positions.

We can experiment in LF but to me we will spend the money for a defensive minded CF.

Rangers will have to have some current plays step,up if there is to be any magic this year. All is possible

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok there is some validity to the toolsyness odd Beltran. I am of course being a bit homer in initial response but I do not think he is worth $16 mill to Rangers. Perhaps Astros can protect him in COF and likely more now fences brought in but I was very excited re his clutch factor when we brought him on and he did very little for us in the postseason. Maybe Father Time has caught up and last year was an outlier

Re Profar. I think he ran out of gas and we have seen the worst of him in the second half. If a team wants a SS that is where his value is trade wise but otherwise I think he gets his reps here in a variety of positions.

We can experiment in LF but to me we will spend the money for a defensive minded CF.

Rangers will have to have some current plays step,up if there is to be any magic this year. All is possible

I was mostly referring to the 2 roster spot comment, but fangraphs also had Beltra worth over $18 mil this past year. If he can repeat that $16m is a relative bargain. Mixing in some decline for age it's probably right around the right spot for him.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are linking Rangers and Encarnacion. Here’s why Texas could pass
So here’s a look at five reasons the Rangers could pass on Encarnacion:

▪ The Rangers don’t want to block Gallo’s path to the majors. They need to find out about him, and soon.

▪ The club doesn’t want to give up on him as it did Davis and miss out on all that power. Who is the only player in the majors the past five seasons with more homers than Encarnacion? Davis.

▪ So, Encarnacion has that kind of power, maybe a tad bit less, at 34. With a bunch of 30-somethings already on the roster, the Rangers wouldn’t be getting any younger.

▪ The qualifying offer, in its last hurrah, continues to be a factor in the Rangers’ thinking. Not to keep kicking this horse, but the Rangers have lost a lot the past two years in trades, and surrendering a first-round pick would put a dent in the farm system.

▪ Encarnacion passed on Toronto’s offer of four years and $80 million. He’s not going to come off that too terribly much, unless he falls into the same territory as Ian Desmond last year. That seems unlikely with all that power, plus the Rangers are committing their funds to pitching and center field first.
The only one that's going to block Gallo's path to the majors is Gallo.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only one that's going to block Gallo's path to the majors is Gallo.
personally he has already done enough to block any chance of him making it to majors for at least the next 2 or 3 years. he has not made any progress on dealing with ML pitching and it would be a disservice to both the team and the fans to bring up now

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think JD is bluffing re this although a late one year deal could easily happen for these spots but mainly 1B

according to what i've read we are apparently unlikely to sign any of the available FA's at any of the positions we need unless they are willing to sign at maximum a 2 year deal and at a cut rate monetary value.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to what i've read we are apparently unlikely to sign any of the available FA's at any of the positions we need unless they are willing to sign at maximum a 2 year deal and at a cut rate monetary value.
Where did you read that? I haven't read anthing luke that myself. They didn't sign Cashner for a cut rate price. They were willing to overpay for him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally he has already done enough to block any chance of him making it to majors for at least the next 2 or 3 years. he has not made any progress on dealing with ML pitching and it would be a disservice to both the team and the fans to bring up now
Maybe we should just remove him from the 40 man. He is such a waste of space.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should just remove him from the 40 man. He is such a waste of space.
Didn't say that but until he learns to cut down on his swing he is too much of a liability to try and carry on the MLS roster. Right now the only thing he would bring to the Rangers is the seasonal individual strikeout record. Put him at AAA with a hitting instructor who beats self-discipline into and bring him up in 2018 or 2019. bringing him up now is not doing him or the team any good