• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little more info on saddles earlier post. Don't get it myself.

The winter meetings are a time when teams can discuss extensions with the agents of their players, but the Texas Rangers appear to be focused elsewhere this year.

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.png
Instead of addressing the contract situations of right-hander Yu Darvish and catcher Jonathan Lucroy -- both free agents at the end of next season -- the Rangers intend to dedicate their attention toward outside additions, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports.

Darvish, 30, returned from Tommy John this year to post a 3.41 ERA in 17 starts. Lucroy, acquired from the Milwaukee Brewers at the trade deadline, was an All-Star in 2016, hitting .292 with 24 homers and 81 RBIs between the two clubs. The Rangers exercised a $5.25 million club option to keep the 30-year-old for 2017.

Among the holes the Rangers could be looking to fill this week are adding a starting pitcher and finding a new first baseman.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little more info on saddles earlier post. Don't get it myself.

The winter meetings are a time when teams can discuss extensions with the agents of their players, but the Texas Rangers appear to be focused elsewhere this year.

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.png
Instead of addressing the contract situations of right-hander Yu Darvish and catcher Jonathan Lucroy -- both free agents at the end of next season -- the Rangers intend to dedicate their attention toward outside additions, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports.

Darvish, 30, returned from Tommy John this year to post a 3.41 ERA in 17 starts. Lucroy, acquired from the Milwaukee Brewers at the trade deadline, was an All-Star in 2016, hitting .292 with 24 homers and 81 RBIs between the two clubs. The Rangers exercised a $5.25 million club option to keep the 30-year-old for 2017.

Among the holes the Rangers could be looking to fill this week are adding a starting pitcher and finding a new first baseman.
I think they see the acquisitions as more of a pressing need and realize they have several weeks left to extend Darvish and Lucroy.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling that something fairly big is going to happen with our Rangers this week. Of course, that feeling may just be due to me eating Taco Casa this afternoon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are linking Rangers and Encarnacion. Here’s why Texas could pass
So here’s a look at five reasons the Rangers could pass on Encarnacion:

▪ The Rangers don’t want to block Gallo’s path to the majors. They need to find out about him, and soon.

▪ The club doesn’t want to give up on him as it did Davis and miss out on all that power. Who is the only player in the majors the past five seasons with more homers than Encarnacion? Davis.

▪ So, Encarnacion has that kind of power, maybe a tad bit less, at 34. With a bunch of 30-somethings already on the roster, the Rangers wouldn’t be getting any younger.

▪ The qualifying offer, in its last hurrah, continues to be a factor in the Rangers’ thinking. Not to keep kicking this horse, but the Rangers have lost a lot the past two years in trades, and surrendering a first-round pick would put a dent in the farm system.

▪ Encarnacion passed on Toronto’s offer of four years and $80 million. He’s not going to come off that too terribly much, unless he falls into the same territory as Ian Desmond last year. That seems unlikely with all that power, plus the Rangers are committing their funds to pitching and center field first.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling that something fairly big is going to happen with our Rangers this week. Of course, that feeling may just be due to me eating Taco Casa this afternoon.

Taco Casa! What on earth were you thinking?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody interested in spending on a closer and moving everyone in the pen down a notch in the pecking order and then using a bullpen piece or two as trade bait? I think we could stand to trade a piece now and if we get a closer we could trade two relievers.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they see the acquisitions as more of a pressing need and realize they have several weeks left to extend Darvish and Lucroy.

I get this; sort of. Frankly, I don't think anything is more important "long term" for this franchise than what happens with Darvish after 2017.

If Yu is gone after next season, then our team is going to look totally different in 2018 IMO. That's why I want him presented with a legitimate, good faith offer now so we can make a decent plan going forward.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow I see Profar or Odor involved in a trade