• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Giants still struggling, Johnny Cueto would be a nice add. Not cheap, but nice.
There isn't a ton of pitching available that I am interested in yet. When it gets a little closer the trade partners get clearer. Cueto a guy i would be interested in, I wonder what his price tag looks like. Another guy that comes to mind is Jaime Garcia in Atlanta, good numbers this season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a ton of pitching available that I am interested in yet. When it gets a little closer the trade partners get clearer. Cueto a guy i would be interested in, I wonder what his price tag looks like. Another guy that comes to mind is Jaime Garcia in Atlanta, good numbers this season.

Ya Garcia would also work.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB trade targets: Top 25 players who could move by the deadline

Posted about a month ago, but something to look into.

Issue with buying a starting pitcher is I don't believe the Mariners really have the depth in their minor league system to reasonably make such an acquisition. They perhaps have the ability to add a decent reliever or two, but I'm unsure about starting pitching, which is where we need the most help.

The Mariners may perceive the eventual return of Drew Smyly as an addition in itself.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of adding a SP, their best bet is trading for a vet who has an undesirable contract that the Mariners could eat and give up minimal prospects for.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of adding a SP, their best bet is trading for a vet who has an undesirable contract that the Mariners could eat and give up minimal prospects for.

Not sure that guy would be any better than the cheap guys we have been using. If his contract is undesirable, then he must be low end numbers. I would look into a vet past his prime having a good year but with a minimal contract. Volquez a player at the top of my head. Middle rotation guy with one year left on contract. He gives you a chance to win. Or even a guy like Vargas....yes I said it. :)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told my wife during the game yesterday vs Tigers that I would love to see M's go after Cabrera for the stretch run. Today Tigers GM said we aren't waiting for deadline to make trades and Cabrera said he thinks it might be best for him and his family to move on. He is friends with Cruz and Cano. I would be in baseball heaven if that happened.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told my wife during the game yesterday vs Tigers that I would love to see M's go after Cabrera for the stretch run. Today Tigers GM said we aren't waiting for deadline to make trades and Cabrera said he thinks it might be best for him and his family to move on. He is friends with Cruz and Cano. I would be in baseball heaven if that happened.
Correct me if I am wrong doesn't he have like 40 years left on his contract?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB trade targets: Top 25 players who could move by the deadline

Posted about a month ago, but something to look into.

Issue with buying a starting pitcher is I don't believe the Mariners really have the depth in their minor league system to reasonably make such an acquisition. They perhaps have the ability to add a decent reliever or two, but I'm unsure about starting pitching, which is where we need the most help.

The Mariners may perceive the eventual return of Drew Smyly as an addition in itself.

This probably sounds ridiculous, but Smyly may not make the rotation. Gaviglio will eventually be replaced by Iwakuma. With two lefties in the rotation already, I don't think they would want to bring in a third, so, Smyly would have to beat out Miranda. I don't think Smyly can pitch as well as Miranda has this year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This probably sounds ridiculous, but Smyly may not make the rotation. Gaviglio will eventually be replaced by Iwakuma. With two lefties in the rotation already, I don't think they would want to bring in a third, so, Smyly would have to beat out Miranda. I don't think Smyly can pitch as well as Miranda has this year.

From what I've read the last couple of days I wouldn't expect Kuma anytime soon. I think the quote from Dipoto the other day was "He will pitch this year but not sure when". Now if Moore can be decent I don't think it's a significant loss given where Kuma was at this year. Regardless it seems like Smyly may very well be back before Kuma

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I am wrong doesn't he have like 40 years left on his contract?

Ya he is owed about $30M per year til 2023 and then 2 more vesting years. I think he will be 55 when it expires...lol. So much for dreaming.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Morosi also reports that the Mariners would like to add some pitching at this year’s trade deadline, but they’re not keen on adding any rentals (Twitter links). Seattle finished the first half poorly, and the notion of sacrificing prospects for a two-month rental and a chance at a one-game playoff is off-putting to the majority of teams around the league. Even if the Mariners’ slide continues, Morosi adds that the team has no plans to move slugger Nelson Cruz, who even at 37 years of age continues to be among the game’s most productive bats. Cruz is hitting .292/.372/.520 and is earning $14.25MM this year and next — the final two seasons of a four-year, $57MM pact inked prior to the 2015 campaign.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs acquired Jose Quintana.

They gave up:
-OF Eloy Jimenez: (Org rk #1, #8 prospect in baseball)
-RHP Dyan Cease: (Org rk #2, #63 prospect in baseball)
-1B Matt Rose: Unranked
-SS Bryant Rose: Unranked

Well, I hope this doesn't set the market for starting pitchers, because the Cubs sure gave up quite the haul to land Quintana.

Used mlb.com's rankings for that btw.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, the White Sox already had one of the best farm systems in baseball. They just got a lot more loaded.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, the White Sox already had one of the best farm systems in baseball. They just got a lot more loaded.

That is what you are suppose to do in a rebuild. Only if the M's would have done that 5 years ago with Felix and some others we had at the time. We could actually have had a real farm system with guys that contribute for more than half a year and made trades for real studs and not lose a beat. Only if...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs acquired Jose Quintana.

They gave up:
-OF Eloy Jimenez: (Org rk #1, #8 prospect in baseball)
-RHP Dyan Cease: (Org rk #2, #63 prospect in baseball)
-1B Matt Rose: Unranked
-SS Bryant Rose: Unranked

Well, I hope this doesn't set the market for starting pitchers, because the Cubs sure gave up quite the haul to land Quintana.

Used mlb.com's rankings for that btw.

Raises the question are the Cubs looking to win just one more then head back into the deep dark part of the MLB standings down the road?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees, Nationals, Dodgers, Cubs, Brewers, Royals, Angels and Mariners could all be in the mix for lefty Brad Hand, Heyman reports.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raises the question are the Cubs looking to win just one more then head back into the deep dark part of the MLB standings down the road?

Hey, I would take that vs 40 years of squat. Get it while you can.