• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since leaving Cincy
2015 Giants 4.07
2016 STL 4.69
2017 STL 4.21

For the Mariners, that's phenomenal.

Additionally, right now I'd say there is only one pitcher on the team who is definitively better than Leake - and that's Paxton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Mariners, that's phenomenal.

Additionally, right now I'd say there is only one pitcher on the team who is definitively better than Leake - and that's Paxton.

But our pitchers should not be the scale to compare with. Plus those numbers are from the NL where pitchers bat 3 times. Add the DH and his numbers are sure to go up and become exactly what we already have...but for 3 more years and more expensive. If he is so valuable, why would they give him up for so little? I really hope I am wrong on this one, but he scares the heck out of me. The only silver lining is that I know he can't be worse than the trash we keep throwing out there.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move. I just worry it's too little too late.

Leake hasn't pitched well since the All-Star break, but since 2013 he has been extremely consistent and is still only 29. From 2013-2017 he has started 150 games with a 3.90 ERA. That's a solid #3. In a Mariners rotation that consists of #5s and #6s, he's a huge upgrade.
Yeah I agree. This move does more for next season and the season after than it does for the next month. The rotation is so horrible it isn't to difficult to upgrade the position right now. Dipoto just can't seem to figure it out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shohei Otani is the greatest thing to happen to baseball in a century. Not only is he Japan’s best pitcher—featuring a high-90s fastball and three strong secondary offerings—he’s also one of the country’s best hitters. Blessed with a towering frame and unteachable athleticism, Otani dominates on the mound and absolutely rakes at the plate. He’s a staff ace who hits in the heart of the order on the days between his starts. He’s an athlete who, in 2016, was named the NPB Pacific League’s best pitcher and its best designated hitter—earning a 1.86 ERA in 20 starts and striking out 11.2 batters every nine innings, while putting up a 1.004 OPS, launching 22 home runs and reaching base at a .416 clip across nearly 400 plate appearances. He’s a player many scouts believe is ready to step into MLB today as a front-of-the-rotation starter or an everyday outfielder with a middle-of-the-order bat—or maybe both. He’s something baseball has not seen for lifetimes. He’s a modern day Babe Ruth. MLB - Sportsnet.ca
M's need to go all out for this guy. They won't, but they need to.

Add Otani and Darvish this off season and I'll go to a lot of games next season.

I listened to a scout on the air a few months back and he said Otani is linked to Darvish. Not sure how that works but shit go all in on both

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But our pitchers should not be the scale to compare with. Plus those numbers are from the NL where pitchers bat 3 times. Add the DH and his numbers are sure to go up and become exactly what we already have...but for 3 more years and more expensive. If he is so valuable, why would they give him up for so little? I really hope I am wrong on this one, but he scares the heck out of me. The only silver lining is that I know he can't be worse than the trash we keep throwing out there.

I'm looking at it as a salary dump by the Cardinals who would rather allocate funds elsewhere. I expect he continues his trend of being a mid to low 4 ERA type guy who is good for 190-200 IP a year. Assuming that Felix and Paxton are penciled into the rotation (this year and next), I see 3 rotation spots that need to be filled. Realistically speaking, we're not going to be able to sign the 3 best starting pitchers on the market. This trade fills a rotation spot.

Now we are down to two slots to be filled. Realistically speaking the Mariners could sign one of the top pitching options then either sign a mid-tier option or have Ramirez, Gonzales, Miranda and the plethora of other #5-#6 pitchers in the organization duke it out.

But keep in mind, this is all predicated on the assumption that Leake's arm is not shot. If it is... Well, fuck.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, considering that we gave up next to nothing for him and we're receiving $17m in cash I look at this as signing Leake to a free agent contract at around $10.3m a year for 3 years with a $5m buyout in 2021. IMO if he were to hit the market this offseason, he'd probably fetch $14m per year or so for a 3-4 year contract.

Looking at his velocity numbers, this year he is in line with his career norms. So that's a good sign at least.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can always just pray that since ownership hasn't seemed to give a crap about or realize Jerry is burning down the house, Jerry will go wild in free agency, put pen to paper then let Stanton and crew know he just raised the payroll $80 million.

I just hate that the Mariners can look across the street and see how two well ran professional sports franchises are run but the M's keep getting jerk off GM's. Jerry, seems to me, has decided he knows better than everybody and will do it his way. It's baseball, you can reinvent the wheel.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners are depressing :(. Let's talk Seahawks to brighten the mood a bit. :)

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah .normal..rumblings..
Seattle has to give up there pitching..
To.suit the cardinals..
Any and all..
Yeah..but don't forget..to pay..double..

Yeah .no thanks .again..