• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I don't think there is anything to it but why does a millionaire go to Seattle in December?

Maybe his wife is a twilight fan.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so bored this evening that I got into a friendly twitter battle with a fan (we follow each other) who actually posted that the M's were going to be so much better because of Nicasio and Healy over Pagan and Alonso/Valencia. I couldn't let that pass...

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so bored this evening that I got into a friendly twitter battle with a fan (we follow each other) who actually posted that the M's were going to be so much better because of Nicasio and Healy over Pagan and Alonso/Valencia. I couldn't let that pass...
Thats like arguing whos better between the browns this year and last year

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports reports the Indians have agreed to sign first baseman Yonder Alonso.

It is believed to be a two-year, $16 million contract with an $8 million vesting option for the 2020 season. Yonder will replace Carlos Santana, who recently signed a free agent contract with the Phillies. The veteran Alonso had a breakout season in 2017, slashing .266/.365/.501 with 28 home runs and 67 RBI in 142 games. He began the year with the Athletics and was dealt to the Mariners in early August. His previous high for homers in a season was nine way back in 2012 with the Padres

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats like arguing whos better between the browns this year and last year

That was one of my points to him. He was acting as if these two deals alone make us WS worthy.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports reports the Indians have agreed to sign first baseman Yonder Alonso.

It is believed to be a two-year, $16 million contract with an $8 million vesting option for the 2020 season. Yonder will replace Carlos Santana, who recently signed a free agent contract with the Phillies. The veteran Alonso had a breakout season in 2017, slashing .266/.365/.501 with 28 home runs and 67 RBI in 142 games. He began the year with the Athletics and was dealt to the Mariners in early August. His previous high for homers in a season was nine way back in 2012 with the Padres

He will hit 5 HRs against us this year, 2 will be walk offs.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if its the same tweet I saw. Guy was acting proud because Healy, the Yankee first baseman we got(sorry to lazy to look up the name and I forgot) and Nicasio was like 1 mill cheaper and had more club control then Pagan and Alonso.
I guess the bar is that low

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between the two groups of players is so minimal I don't think its even noticeable. Just like so many of Dips trades/moves he basically just reshuffled to come out with a very similar product. The bright spot is the potential of Healy to have a breakout year, its possible but still an if.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between the two groups of players is so minimal I don't think its even noticeable. Just like so many of Dips trades/moves he basically just reshuffled to come out with a very similar product. The bright spot is the potential of Healy to have a breakout year, its possible but still an if.

The part that I thought was so funny is that he said I was using his (Alonso) A's stats and that is wrong and that I should only use his Mariners stats because they were more to the point...while using Healy's A's stats as gospel. I just love biased comparisons. Of course you can't blame the guy, our own DIP does it all the time.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DECEMBER 21: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick has the details on Nicasio’s contract. The reliever will earn $7.5MM in 2018 and $9MM in 2019, with a $500K signing bonus. He can earn up to $4MM in incentives, which are based on games finished.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part that I thought was so funny is that he said I was using his (Alonso) A's stats and that is wrong and that I should only use his Mariners stats because they were more to the point...while using Healy's A's stats as gospel. I just love biased comparisons. Of course you can't blame the guy, our own DIP does it all the time.
Sometimes I can understand looking at things through a positive lens. Sometimes I can convince myself, but not this off season. I have seen too many of the same type of moves from Dipoto. So in this particular case I just see a redistribution of money without any "big" upgrade. He took the money that was used on first base put it into the bullpen and saved money at first base. I just don't see Healy as a huge upgrade from what we got out of the Valencia/Alonso combo. That said I think there may be some ceiling left on Healy but like I said earlier we don't know that and its a big if.

I am surprised there are some fans out there with a positive take on what has happened during this offseason.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Ryon Healy and Nicasio, but we still have a huge gaping hole of suck that is the rotation. I'm the last one to want to say this, but Felix is probably about done and Paxton can't stay healthy. The rest are replacement level players.

Another year of only watching for the small joy of walk off wins and no playoffs.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Ryon Healy and Nicasio, but we still have a huge gaping hole of suck that is the rotation. I'm the last one to want to say this, but Felix is probably about done and Paxton can't stay healthy. The rest are replacement level players.

Another year of only watching for the small joy of walk off wins and no playoffs.
I must like pain, because I know I will be watching.

And Yeah I like Healy and Nicasio too I just don't think it did anything to move the scale compared to what we already had.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is the feeling of most Mariners fans, and Jerry talks to us like we are children about how good the staff. Going into the off-season they have one big hole, and instead they a 1B, a reliever and shuffled in some guys who won't be in the organization by August.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the Healy trade, I just don't like the money we're paying Nicasio given his track record. If he continues pitching like he did in 2017, then it's justified. If not, it's a terrible signing.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the feeling of most Mariners fans, and Jerry talks to us like we are children about how good the staff. Going into the off-season they have one big hole, and instead they a 1B, a reliever and shuffled in some guys who won't be in the organization by August.

His arrogance really bothers me.

We don't dedicate our lives to baseball like he does, but at the risk of flattering many people on this board, I think many of us could make better decisions than he has made in his shoes if we had his job.

His surprise/arrogance after the Marco Gonzales trade is probably where he lost me. He could've said something along the lines of: "We understand prospect rankings, we understand that fans may not be happy with this given those rankings, and O'Neill was a great prospect, but we really saw something special in Gonzales and thought he was incredibly underrated"

Instead he acted surprised that fans were pissed. Treated fans and writers like idiots. I have my issue with a lot of Seattle sports writers, but they follow this shit 24/7 just like he does. His hubris I think is something that is going to really hurt our organization.

In his defense, what do you do? Sell off and lose your job after we win only 60 games? He should've cleaned house when he got here.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His arrogance really bothers me.

We don't dedicate our lives to baseball like he does, but at the risk of flattering many people on this board, I think many of us could make better decisions than he has made in his shoes if we had his job.

His surprise/arrogance after the Marco Gonzales trade is probably where he lost me. He could've said something along the lines of: "We understand prospect rankings, we understand that fans may not be happy with this given those rankings, and O'Neill was a great prospect, but we really saw something special in Gonzales and thought he was incredibly underrated"

Instead he acted surprised that fans were pissed. Treated fans and writers like idiots. I have my issue with a lot of Seattle sports writers, but they follow this shit 24/7 just like he does. His hubris I think is something that is going to really hurt our organization.

In his defense, what do you do? Sell off and lose your job after we win only 60 games? He should've cleaned house when he got here.

Completely agree. My thing with him is he sees himself as so much smarter than any other person in baseball and in his limited resume it sucked. The Angels were good before him, sucked with him and have returned to making bold moves and spending money. He was given a crappy deck with the contracts and farm system, but burning the farm system and spending money on just dudes doesn't make sense. How in the world does the Alonso deal make sense if they didn't want to resign him? Could've gotten Healy at the deadline, how does shipping off every single highly rated prospect for non needs on your team make sense? I keep using the he is trying to reinvent baseball but baseball isn't like basketball or football where you can come in, change things and have instant success like the Seahawks and Warriors. Those team won right away, then the league caught up, the Warriors adapted with Durant, won. The Seahawks are stuck in their ways and haven't. That's why I don't like his sticking to his philosophy of metrics and making hundreds of moves.

Seattle already has a disadvantage and now he has made it a pitstop organization that can't attract any free agents without bottom feeding or spending resources he already is short on, which he has made the only way to win. He gambled on Segura and Haniger. Segura is a 2B when they have one and Haniger but thus far is more prone to injuries than Paxton.

It's just so confusing what his goal is, and his condescending tone with fans and baseball people in general bugs me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe Healy and Nicascio are an upgrade over Pagan and Alonso/Valencia, but it's merely a marginal improvement. If you wanna use WAR, I'd say it's maybe half a game improvement at best lol.