• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair, all the off days MLB players get and their private planes just makes travel an excuse. Besides, the Mariners have the best sports psychologists in the world now so travel shouldn't effect the mind which Yogi Berra said is essentially 50% of baseball.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 2008 thru 2017 M's have only once finished single digits out of 1st (2016 9 games back).

From 2004-2017 we have only finished single digits back twice.

In 2007 they finished 6 games back. In 2008 they finished 39 games back.

Just some Mariners humor for the holidays.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Household Names and Long-Term Payroll

Not sure this is even remotely correct, but I don't care enough to double check it. It just looks impossible.

I'm battling a severe hangover and I'm on like 4 hours sleep, but this is very confusing. I agree, I don't know how it's possible.

It just doesn't make sense. Could have something to do with the methodology.

Additionally, you typically evaluate payroll on a year-by-year basis. Sure, the Mariners will have some bigger contracts to account for in the intermediate term: Leake, Cano, Seager, Felix, Segura, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have payroll flexibility in the future.

I think this way of looking at payroll commitments is strange and offers a prism through which to view our financial commitments that makes it appear as if the Mariners are more constrained financially than they really are.

My perspective is that this way of looking at it is a creative way of playing mental gymnastics to justify the Mariners not spending more.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, all the off days MLB players get and their private planes just makes travel an excuse. Besides, the Mariners have the best sports psychologists in the world now so travel shouldn't effect the mind which Yogi Berra said is essentially 50% of baseball.

I've always been kinda confused by the travel excuse in sports. Sure I understand home field advantage, but I don't think sitting on a plane for four hours is really an excuse for poor performance.

I could be biased because I've never really suffered from jet lag before. When I flew to Paris from Seattle with a stop in Iceland, I didn't really miss a beat. Same thing when I flew from Rome -> London -> Iceland -> Seattle.

Also I have to imagine as a pro athlete when you've been traveling like this for years you get used to it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jerry-dipoto-620-250x149.jpg
Is it me or does Dipito look like Tom Brady?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember him?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners grant Andrew Albers release to play in Japan, M’s down to just one Canadian LHP from University of Kentucky

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been kinda confused by the travel excuse in sports. Sure I understand home field advantage, but I don't think sitting on a plane for four hours is really an excuse for poor performance.

I could be biased because I've never really suffered from jet lag before. When I flew to Paris from Seattle with a stop in Iceland, I didn't really miss a beat. Same thing when I flew from Rome -> London -> Iceland -> Seattle.

Also I have to imagine as a pro athlete when you've been traveling like this for years you get used to it.

I can understand the excuse for football, but never have for NBA or MLB players. Bus leagues or heck even the PCL there is some merit to an excuse. But MLB has implemented so many off days it is ridiculous that an organization can use it as an excuse. Even with the time change the earliest a player would be heading the ballpark is 10 his time. It's not football where players are getting wakeup calls at essentially their 5 am to get ready.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My perspective is that this way of looking at it is a creative way of playing mental gymnastics to justify the Mariners not spending more.

Yea I know the $$ committed for this year is like the 5th most in baseball. Not sure if that included Gordon's salary or not. But shoot once you get out of Felix's deal I would think it opens up more flexibility.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL Notes: Darvish, Mariners, Schoop, Kinsler

Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto chatted with Larry Stone of the Seattle Times about his aggressive and active approach on the trade front, refuting the notion that he’s torn down the team’s farm system (a minor league system that was poor when he inherited it in the first place). “We have not emptied the farm system to go acquire veteran players to make a run at a postseason,” says Dipoto. “…[W]e have effectively moved players around the league to acquire players that are in their prime who are under team control, almost all of whom are in their 20s.”

Lol he's delusional.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean yes the farm system sucked to begin with. No one would ever dispute that. However the fact we are sitting here two years later and its no better plus with two non playoff years then what are we supposed to think?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol.