• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brendan ryan's just a hop skip and jump away in utah

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be ugly.. all the teams around us will get better and Seattle will take a few steps.... or leaps backwards.

Also If Dipoto signs Duda I'll be delivering shit in a bag to Dips doorstep until the end of time. There are at least 4 better options in FA. I would probably rather just say fuck it and throw Vogelbach out there and save the money for pitching.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i'm at a point where i'd like to see a true commitment to rebuilding right now. anything else is dipoto under the delusion that we're just a few moves away from contending in 2018.
I’ll believe it when I see it. I think one of the main reasons Dipoto got hired was because he was able to sell ownership that we weren’t far away. This team can spend what they want on whatever is out there but they ain’t catching Houston barring lots of injuries. So why not rebuild now when your best case scenario is a 1 game playoff. Maybe by that time Houston won’t be able to keep all their studs that are under cheap club control now

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a complete rebuild is something the organization needs, but ownership is retarded and has boxed them in. When Felix was King Felix is when they should've done it. Suffered the 4-5 years of losing with crappy attendance, but not they have crappy attendance and if they do it they will see Kingdome type numbers. Plus, I'm not a fan/optimistic Jerry is the guy to do a rebuild. Granted, I haven't given him much time in draft stock but he has traded or released every top prospect the Mariners had prior to him except Diaz and hasn't improved the farm system at all.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2003 Mariners tickets.jpg

An omen? Just ran across these 2003 unused playoff tickets that I don't remember even buying...lol Funny, the section I have doesn't even exist anymore at Safeco. How times have changes in many ways in 14 years.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 168923

An omen? Just ran across these 2003 unused playoff tickets that I don't remember even buying...lol Funny, the section I have doesn't even exist anymore at Safeco. How times have changes in many ways in 14 years.
There is nothing to say.... except cheers bro

The Seahawks have lead me to the bottle today. This put an exclamation point on it

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing to say.... except cheers bro

The Seahawks have lead me to the bottle today. This put an exclamation point on it

Don't even get me fucking started on those fucking seachokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Greg Johns / MLB.com | @gregjohnsmlb | 12:35 PM ET
SEATTLE -- Now that the five-day window for teams to re-sign their own free agents has closed, the Hot Stove fun fully begins at 2 p.m. PT on Monday when players are able to begin signing with other teams. And for the Mariners, that means the opportunity to tap the market for potential help at first base, outfield, backup catcher and the pitching staff.

Hot Stove Tracker

General manager Jerry Dipoto typically favors trades over free agency, but that doesn't mean Seattle won't look to fill some of its needs on the open market.

Here's a look at some of the possibilities before the Mariners gather in Peoria, Ariz., for the start of Spring Training in February.

Free agents: 1B Yonder Alonso and Danny Valencia; INF Gordon Beckham; OF Jarrod Dyson; C Carlos Ruiz; RHPs Yovani Gallardo and Hisashi Iwakuma

Arbitration-eligible:
RHPs David Phelps, Erasmo Ramirez, Nick Vincent and Shae Simmons; LHPs Drew Smyly and James Paxton; C Mike Zunino

Biggest potential free-agent loss
Although he was largely a platoon player and missed the final six weeks with a sports hernia issue, Dyson provided a needed skillset of speed and defense in center field and posted a 2.6 bWAR while stealing 28 bases in 111 games with Seattle. If they can't bring Dyson back, the Mariners will seek another veteran who can provide similar leadership and complement their promising young group of outfielders.

Potential free-agent targets

The Mariners could bring back Alonso, but there are other veterans who might also fill the team's most obvious offseason hole. They aren't likely to compete for the big-ticket first baseman, long-time Royals standout Eric Hosmer, but the Indians' Carlos Santana could be an excellent fit. Former Mariner Logan Morrison broke out with a career-high 38 homers and 85 RBIs for the Rays last season and Lucas Duda, Mitch Moreland and Mark Reynolds are also available.

Outfield: Dipoto could go a lot of directions here, including the trade market. He's also said he'd be comfortable with Mitch Haniger and Guillermo Heredia in center, so replacing Dyson could be done by adding a corner outfielder instead. If power isn't a necessary ingredient, versatile veteran Jon Jay might be a good fit. Melky Cabrera or Curtis Granderson still provide some pop and plenty of experience, while Rajai Davis offers the element of speed.

Rotation: Unless Japanese two-way standout Shohei Ohtani says he's not coming to the Majors this offseason, he'll remain atop the Mariners' -- and most every team's -- wish list. And he'd potentially help out with that corner outfield opening as well. More realistic options would be right-handers Lance Lynn, Alex Cobb and Tyler Chatwood or lefties like Jaime Garcia or Francisco Liriano.

Wild card scenario
It seems unlikely to happen yet, but at some point over the final six years of his contract, the Mariners figure to shift Robinson Cano to first base to save his legs and keep his bat in the lineup. If they did so now, that would fill the first-base void and shift the major need to second base, where there are free-agent options like Howie Kendrick, Neil Walker, Logan Forsythe and Brandon Phillips.

Greg Johns has covered the Mariners since 1997, and for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com Columnist

Jim Duquette

Predicting destinations for top 25 free agents
Former MLB general manager projects market as free agency begins today at 5 p.m. ET

1. Yu Darvish, 31, RHP
Darvish is the top starting pitcher available, and he should command top dollar, given his stellar stuff and longstanding track record of success. The right-hander showed the ability to adapt late in 2017, tweaking his delivery and pitch mix to spark a strong finish after struggling at times in July. He should command a contract in the range of six years, $140 million, despite his World Series struggles.

Interested teams: Dodgers, Rangers, Yankees, Mariners, Cardinals, among many others
Duquette's prediction: Mariners

14. Yonder Alonso, 31, 1B
Alonso turned in a breakout 2017 season, recording an .866 OPS that was boosted by a hefty .501 slugging percentage. While he'll have to convince teams that his career year was not an aberration, his impressive campaign has likely created some believers. Look for a contract similar to Mark Trumbo's three-year, $37.5 million deal with the Orioles last offseason.

Interested teams: Rays, Mariners, Indians, Mets
Duquette's prediction: Mariners

---------------------

I personally have switched gears and hope we get Lynn, Cobb, and Cain. Swarzak and another power arm for the pen would be nice. Time is now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone is interested enough to watch...I wasn't.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Cano to 1B would be the most sound thing for the organization to do right now but doubtful it will happen. It is a ton easier and cheaper finding normal production for a 2B than keeping Cano and 2nd and going FA for 1B. Plus, it also opens up the option of either getting or developing a SS so Segura can return to his better position for the organization in 2B.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Cano to 1B would be the most sound thing for the organization to do right now but doubtful it will happen. It is a ton easier and cheaper finding normal production for a 2B than keeping Cano and 2nd and going FA for 1B. Plus, it also opens up the option of either getting or developing a SS so Segura can return to his better position for the organization in 2B.

What? Are you smoking something? Mariners would never do something that makes perfect baseball sense. They will grind his old body out at 2B til the end of times! :)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Are you smoking something? Mariners would never do something that makes perfect baseball sense. They will grind his old body out at 2B til the end of times! :)

I know Stanton was part of the Nintendo group but he talks like a legit business guy and you'd figure that a smart business guy would realize it is much cheaper to get a 2B than a 1B in free agency or much easier to develop a middle infielder than a 1B. I know logic isn't a strong suit for the club but they need to spend wisely not just spend to not be called cheap.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One interesting idea:

The Rays are caught in the middle a little bit. Too good to go full rebuild, yet not close enough to blow their budget and truly compete in the stacked A.L. East. The Rays will be looking to move some extraneous and pricey parts, while keeping their core and impressive minor league system intact.

Tampa Bay currently has 13 arbitration eligible players, their projected salaries combining to eat up $41 million. That would account for half of the Rays projected Opening Day Salary in 2018. The Mariners have an ability to swallow money and are in dire need of pitching.

The most obvious name for Mariners fans to consider is Jake Odorizzi. Odorizzi will enter the 2018 season at the age on 28, and still has 2 full season of club control remaining. He also fits the Dipoto check list with a K/9 of 8.0, a 3.0 BB/9, and has made 28 or more starts in 4 consecutive seasons.
Dipoto also love to invest in the “proven player coming off a bad year’ type, which applies to Odorizzi. After posting a 3.91 FIP in 2014-2016, that jumped up to 5.41 FIP. The home runs are a problem, with Odorizzi giving up 59 long flies in 2 seasons. But a move to Safeco Field and away from the A.L. East could help. Odorizzi is projected to make $6.4 million in 2018

Alex Colome is another intriguing option for a Mariners team looking to add to its bullpen. Colome had a monster season in 2016, posting a 1.91 ERA with a massive 71:15 K/BB ratio in just 56.2 innings. He was named to the All-Star team as a result.

Colome fell back down to earth in 2017, but was still a quality bullpen arm. He led the A.L. in saves (not saying that means anything) with 47. But his K/9 dropped by 3.5, from 11.3 to 7.5 K/9. His BB/9 also jumped from 2.4 to 3.1. Colome is projected to earn $5.5 million and will have 3 full seasons of club control. Colome will turn 29 on December 31st.

Those are the 2 most obvious names that appear on the Rays arbitration list. Some guys like Brad Boxberger makes some sense. Once a solid reliever, Boxberger has struggled to stay healthy recently, and is scheduled to make $1.9 million in 2018. When healthy, Boxberger has late inning stuff and some experience closing.

The Rays have just $36 million committed to players in 2018, and Chris Archer is the pipe dream of pipe dreams. If the Rays are willing to listen on Kevin Kiermaier, the Mariners should aggressively pursue.
The Rays have a deep farm system, and a few names could conceivably help the Mariners in 2018. Yonny Chirinos is a minor league producer who must be added to the Rays 40-man before the Rule 5 draft. His blend of excellent control and 3 average pitches could be interesting to Dipoto.

Joe McCarthy has the control the zone profile Dipoto covets and has the flexibility to play first base and in the outfield. He also is an impressive 57 of 70 in stolen base attempts. Asking McCarthy to make the jump from AA to the Bigs might be too much. He should be ready by July.

The Rays could use a young corner outfielder like Ben Gamel to pair with Kiermaier and Steven Souza, and some younger options in the bullpen like Nick Vincent or maybe Thyago Vieira.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree because I am tired of platooning at first base which is what we will do again. Seeing how Dipoto only thinks starters go 15-18 outs now, I assume we will need the extra arm in the bullpen. That means only 3 bench spots.
Ideally I wouldn't hate the idea of signing Cozart which moves Segura to 2nd and Cano to 1st. Wont happen though

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The Mariners would like to retain impending free agent center fielder Jarrod Dyson, but his age (33) might stand in the way of them giving him a multiyear deal and lead to his exit, Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times writes. First baseman Yonder Alonso could return, on the other hand, considering both the Mariners’ need at the position and general manager Jerry Dipoto’s assessment of the late-season trade acquisition’s performance in Seattle. “He plays a pretty solid first base. I think he gave us a presence after we got beyond the middle of our order,”Dipoto said of Alonso, who batted .265/.353/.439 in 150 plate appearances after coming over from Oakland. While the M’s are open to keeping Alonso, he’ll be part of “a pretty flush class of free-agent first baseman,” according to Dipoto, who added that “there are a lot of different options for us, and we want to make sure that we’re maximizing our potential at that position.”
I'd prefer we retain Dyson so we can use our money at other positions. He played well and shouldn't be too expensive.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Crasnick‏Verified account @jcrasnick 42m42 minutes ago
Teams that have reached out early on J.D. Martinez have gotten the impression Scott Boras is looking for something in the $200 million range.

---------------------------

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wow. That's insane.

Only outfielder above the $200m threshold is Giancarlo Stanton.

Wtf does he expect? Jason Heyward is the second largest contract at $184m but he was what? 27 when he signed his contract? 6-7 years at $20-23m or so I think would be reasonable. Idk if Boras is expecting a massive annual salary (highest is $27m) or a lot of years.