• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be the least amount of excitement/hope I've had for an offseason/new season in a while. Maybe I'm just still mentally beaten down by last year. Usually we either have young guys(who never amount to anything here) or a new regime (who eventually disappoint). Just feels like an aging core with a regime that is 2 or 3 more failed seasons from being axed. I am really not expecting anything at this point

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cano got a bunch of crap in 2015 about his performance, and this year's was actually worse.

and felix is felix.

i don't care about spending $50 million on these guys when they're worth maybe half that. not my money.

but i do care about having no pitching, and dipoto saying he doesn't see it as a problem. and the list goes on and on.

this team is 4 years away from anything right now, minimum.

i never thought i'd get to this point, but now that i don't have cable, and the only games i can see are out of market using mlb.tv, it might be time to get behind another team. i need something to do on my weeknights. and i don't think it would make me a fairweather fan to come back when/if the idiot owners and gm put a cohesive plan to rebuild together. but what am i saying. like all m's fans, i'm a glutton for punishment.

on a funnier note, for some reason, the noob howdy-doody fuckers in here who'd freak out over some of us talking about reality, both the good and the bad, don't have a whole lot to say....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cano got a bunch of crap in 2015 about his performance, and this year's was actually worse.

and felix is felix.

i don't care about spending $50 million on these guys when they're worth maybe half that. not my money.

but i do care about having no pitching, and dipoto saying he doesn't see it as a problem. and the list goes on and on.

this team is 4 years away from anything right now, minimum.

i never thought i'd get to this point, but now that i don't have cable, and the only games i can see are out of market using mlb.tv, it might be time to get behind another team. i need something to do on my weeknights. and i don't think it would make me a fairweather fan to come back when/if the idiot owners and gm put a cohesive plan to rebuild together. but what am i saying. like all m's fans, i'm a glutton for punishment.

on a funnier note, for some reason, the noob howdy-doody fuckers in here who'd freak out over some of us talking about reality, both the good and the bad, don't have a whole lot to say....

Could always just start drinking.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the trend continues then this coming up year the Mariners will be just good enough to miss the playoffs by about a game then the following year be under .500 by about 10 games

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the trend continues then this coming up year the Mariners will be just good enough to miss the playoffs by about a game then the following year be under .500 by about 10 games

Unfortunately, this is very accurate.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This offseason is going to blow for the Mariners. No real money to spend. No prospects to give up in a deal to make them better. Are we in the trade Paxton for prospects area yet? A controllable guy with Kershaw type stuff when healthy should net a good group of prospects back.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This offseason is going to blow for the Mariners. No real money to spend. No prospects to give up in a deal to make them better. Are we in the trade Paxton for prospects area yet? A controllable guy with Kershaw type stuff when healthy should net a good group of prospects back.
I think they will trade Cruz. 2018 is his walk year and I doubt if he is offered an extension. So they may as well trade him. They would be trading him in July anyway and they would get a better package if they trade him now versus July.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will trade Cruz. 2018 is his walk year and I doubt if he is offered an extension. So they may as well trade him. They would be trading him in July anyway and they would get a better package if they trade him now versus July.

Cano would throw the biggest temper tantrum if they shipped Cruz out...( though I agree with you)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See, I see that backwards. I'd think they'd get a better package for him at the deadline from a team who is unsuspectingly in the raise like say a team like the Twins or Jays, a team where the Red Sox and Yankees drive up the price.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we find out if the new ownership is really committed to "winning" if they expand that payroll...

JD is gonna have to "pony up" a little more then market value if they are gonna make moves...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that trading cruz mid season next year could net the most, but it depends on the market at that time, which depends greatly on what happens over the next few months of offseason trades.

but i'm at a point where i'd like to see a true commitment to rebuilding right now. anything else is dipoto under the delusion that we're just a few moves away from contending in 2018.

if trading somebody like cruz in july is part of a clearly articulated rebuilding plan that's in effect right now, then okay.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The obvious problem with waiting until July to deal Cruz or anyone is that we may be "in it" and they wouldn't dare make a deal to tick off the masses at that point. This is a problem they have had for many years going back to the Beltre walk year (though he was hurt a lot that year as well).

I think you either extend him for say 2 years or trade him by the first of the year.