• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Bears GM/Coaching Search Thread

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shannahan seems to be waiting for his phone to ring. Said bears were his number one choice.

It was announced today that the Bears will interview Shannahan immediately following the GM hire.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about instead of Ballard, we look at guys like Tom Heckert, Scott McCloughan, Nick Caserio, Matt Russell, maybe Eliot Wolf. Maybe even Eric DeCosta. The fact that Heckert and Russell have DUIs is so completely irrelevant to me it isn't even funny. We should be looking at them, they are good.

DeCosta wants absolutely nothing to do with the bears job.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeCosta sees Vincent moving up the ladder. I dont think Ozzie would want him as his assistant, but I dont think I am reaching too far in thinking Ozzie wants Vincent to take over for him and DeCosta has to notice family ties. I mean the guys we are interviewing are basically in Vincents job description. I highly doubt Ozzie gets fired and I doubt they dont take his suggestion when he retires.

Vincent Newsome is NOT related to Ozzie Newsome... Simple google search will help you.

DeCosta is Asst. GM and has been widely known that he is next in line to take that job once Ozzie retires. That's why he's not interested in going anywhere else. DeCosta's name has been out there for a few years, cause he's good. He's learned from the best and other teams see/want that. But he's NOT going anywhere. IT HAS NOTHING to do with the Bears or anyone else. Please LEARN stuff before you post.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vincent Newsome is NOT related to Ozzie Newsome... Simple google search will help you.

DeCosta is Asst. GM and has been widely known that he is next in line to take that job once Ozzie retires. That's why he's not interested in going anywhere else. DeCosta's name has been out there for a few years, cause he's good. He's learned from the best and other teams see/want that. But he's NOT going anywhere. IT HAS NOTHING to do with the Bears or anyone else. Please LEARN stuff before you post.

I think that it is true that DeCosta is content in Baltimore, but he has also most recently commented (within the last couple of weeks) how unattractive the Bears GM position is due to the fact that Ted Phillips is in the picture and tends to meddle in activities well outside of his expertise.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballard and Toub is gaining popularity. ........

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they at least talk to Shannahan before deciding. Ballard and Taub will just be saying the two wrong guys were let go last time.

If we are sticking to that route, then a Mike Singletary run Defense should be next on the list.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they at least talk to Shannahan before deciding. Ballard and Taub will just be saying the two wrong guys were let go last time.

If we are sticking to that route, then a Mike Singletary run Defense should be next on the list.

Taub better bring an excellent staff with him. This might make the bears actually invest in an offensive and defensive mastermind for both sides of the ball at the same time. I doubt it though, they probably want to keep Tucker around or bring in a shitty offensive coordinator.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taub better bring an excellent staff with him. This might make the bears actually invest in an offensive and defensive mastermind for both sides of the ball at the same time. I doubt it though, they probably want to keep Tucker around or bring in a shitty offensive coordinator.

This is the main issue with Toub. I posted this on another forum... I think we Bear fans look at him with rose colored glasses, hoping he can duplicate his amazing special teams success as a HC, and maybe he can. But to do so, Toub will have to find, not 1 but 2... yes 2 solid coordinators, OC & DC because he is neither. Lovie nor Trestman could find 1 solid coordinator to save their jobs so asking Toub to find 2 seems very problematic.

He has a lot of what the Bears need... Can deal with 3-4 stringers and make them function on the field, can get his coaching points across... Is a motivator... Won't take shit... but the above scares me.

C

cubzzzfanincali

This is the main issue with Toub. I posted this on another forum... I think we Bear fans look at him with rose colored glasses, hoping he can duplicate his amazing special teams success as a HC, and maybe he can. But to do so, Toub will have to find, not 1 but 2... yes 2 solid coordinators, OC & DC because he is neither. Lovie nor Trestman could find 1 solid coordinator to save their jobs so asking Toub to find 2 seems very problematic.

He has a lot of what the Bears need... Can deal with 3-4 stringers and make them function on the field, can get his coaching points across... Is a motivator... Won't take shit... but the above scares me.

You raise a good point, this needing to get yet another position right if Toub is hired. But I am going to make a contrarian view that kind of encompasses my entire feelings about this Bears offseason.

The basic point is this. The Bears do not need to get everything just exactly right this offseason. They don't. If they were on the verge of competing to win the Super Bowl, then they might. But they aren't. Face it, and your perspective on everything changes.

If they fuck every single other thing up about this offseason, there is one decision they are going to make that HAS to be the right choice. That is the GM. The GM can and should be the longest term position of the choices, affects everything about the team going forward, etc. If we make a bad third round pick, or hire the wrong OC, that's not good, but it isn't a franchise-crippling disaster. Picks fail, coaches can be fired. Obviously you don't WANT to fail...anywhere...but the downstream choices really are less important.

I'd say that after GM, that the second most important choice is what to do about Cutler. The third most important choice is the head coach. Then you get into the draft, the coordinators, the right offensive/defensive strategies, the right free agents, all that. But all of those are lower in importance than the first three.

So as far as Toub goes, let's say he really does have what it takes to be a successful coach in the long run. Just for discussion's sake. OK, so let's say we hire him, and he hires a true idiot or something for a coordinator. Let's say he makes Brandon Marshall the OC. Well, OK, sure, that might not work out well in 2015, but OC's can be replaced. The HC choice should not totally be viewing through that lens.

If Toub is the right guy for the job, then hire him, even if his chances of hiring a bad new coordinator are double because he isn't an expert out of the gate on both sides of the ball (doubt it, but you know what I mean).

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why did DeCosta refuse the Bears last time? I would prefer him over all, for the GM position.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why did DeCosta refuse the Bears last time? I would prefer him over all, for the GM position.

IIRC correctly, no reason was given just speculation that he's waiting for the Ravens job.

This time, quotes surfaced saying he wanted nothing to do with it as long as Ted Phillips is involved in football decisions.

Personally, I think he's just smart enough to realize that its not a General Manager they're looking for, it's a part time assistant manager. Who may or may not have all the keys to the store.

Anyone with a will and conviction enough to want to do things "his" way isn't going to;
A. Decide to interview for this job.
B. Get hired if he expresses that fact.

This is becoming clearer with each and every snippet that leaks out about George&Ted's Awesome Managerial Position Search II.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing about hiring Toub would be his tough guy approach. He has a leadership quality about him that was missing the last 2 seasons. And he would be more of the true head coach with not having to meddle much in the offense and defense. It may not be the best choice but it may be the right choice

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm...
Report now is that Shanahan is NOT a coach on Bears radar? Whaat?
AND
Todd Bowles interview that was scheduled for Saturday has been moved up to Thursday. Is that just a scheduling thing? Or do they have something more in store?
What does this say for the GM job? I would have to think they already have their GM and betting that Ballard is the guy.
Are these the only coaching names we are going to see? Gase, Quinn, Bowles? No word on Toub...
I don't like that these are the only three names, not bad names, but would like to see them at least interview a proven HC.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive Coaching candidates: Bowles and Quinn would most likely run a 3-4 scheme. Even Shanahan had a preference for a 3-4. How do they get to that scheme with our current personal? No idea what Gase would do- as he is an OC.
I have no problems with switching schemes. Just stop people and force turnovers.

I would REALLY like to see them interview more people.

News/Updates:
* Bowles inteview was moved up- because Atalanta Owners mother died. Causing him to flip interview dates with Bears and Falcons. This can't be ideal without a GM in place...yet.
* When the Bears interviewed Adam Gase last week- Ernie Accorsi was NOT in the room- Didn't attend the interview... WHAT the hell did you hire and pay him for??? (reports are that he got $300,000!! Now that's a job I want. Provide the same names as most other teams, and not even have to travel. Sweet)

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooney Rule

Not sure of all of the legalities, but some of these interviews may be scheduled so that the Bears as an organization meet the requirements of the Rooney Rule.

So scheduling may or may not have anything to do with ranking of the candidates.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Ballard and Lake Dawson are both still registered at North Chicago Hotel... Hmmm

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive Coaching candidates: Bowles and Quinn would most likely run a 3-4 scheme. Even Shanahan had a preference for a 3-4. How do they get to that scheme with our current personal? No idea what Gase would do- as he is an OC.
I have no problems with switching schemes. Just stop people and force turnovers.

I would REALLY like to see them interview more people.

News/Updates:
* Bowles inteview was moved up- because Atalanta Owners mother died. Causing him to flip interview dates with Bears and Falcons. This can't be ideal without a GM in place...yet.
* When the Bears interviewed Adam Gase last week- Ernie Accorsi was NOT in the room- Didn't attend the interview... WHAT the hell did you hire and pay him for??? (reports are that he got $300,000!! Now that's a job I want. Provide the same names as most other teams, and not even have to travel. Sweet)

we have defensive tackles and outside linebackers. All our inside linebacker candidates cannot play the middle by them selves. So two ILB is a good thing. They say you need big ends to play the 3-4. Somehow Peppers was able to translate to OLB in Green Bay.

our personell was right for the 3-4 last year. Houston is a big end, fuck allen anyway, I am sure Paea and Ratliff can play either spot. Ratliff and Ego better at the NT position where Sutton is quicker and can play end in the 3-4

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, again I'm not apposed to switching just need to add more players. Just being realistic.
The move to a 3-4 would require a big Nose. Don't have that. In most 3-4ers they play more man coverage on the outside. Don't have enough of those either. Jennings and Fuller are a good start-
Sure Houston/Ratliff played in a 3-4, Ego could do it at nose. And I actually like the idea of moving Allen to OLB- rush guy. (Just like they did with Peppers in GB) Can Willie Young switch to OLB? Get a couple more LB's for sure, needed that anyway.

Again- we needed a complete overhaul on Defense anyway. So switching schemes isn't a terrible idea.
Wait... am I talking myself into a switch? hmmm

A lot of moving parts and drafting for scheme isn't a quick fix. Let's see who the coach is first.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now with Ryan Pace on board... looking at coaching connections: Pete Carmichael Saints OC was interviewed for Bears job two years ago.
To go along with Doug Marrone and Dennis Allen who were also in Saints coaching stream early in Pace career. Need a jobs too. Just more names. Interesting.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...more reading of tea leaves: Pace is familiar with Adam Gase, who is married to the daughter of Saints assistant HC Joe Vitt. Ha...

6 degrees of Ryan Pace...