• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Bears GM/Coaching Search Thread

C

cubzzzfanincali

Here's my thing with Shanahan. The guy's offensive expertise is in zone blocking. I mean...that's literally his expertise. Yes, the Bears currently mainly use zone blocking, so as far as that goes, it's a good fit. The Bears running game was not the fundamental problem this year....it wasn't the best, but when used, the Bears ran reasonably well, even though Forte didn't do much in the way of breaking off long runs.

But that's also the problem. Shanahan has not demonstrated anything whatsoever to show he is an expert in the modern NFL passing game, and it is the passing offense that is the biggest Bears success wild card right now. He had one great run of offense, the offense with John Elway, in the late 1990s, but by then Elway was already running a great passing game. Since then, what exactly is it that gives us reason to think he is going to save Cutler from himself? Cutler and Shanahan had a losing record together with a better defense in Denver. He is supposed to be our salvation? I'm not sure I understand that.

I think Shanahan has name recognition, and granted that some of the problems with this roster concern screwed up lines of respect and strong leadership, fine. But there are other guys who could turn out to be strong leaders, and probably offer more promise of unlocking this offense's passing potential.

So really, no thanks, I hope. Pick someone else.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan just as coach. I read on a sports line ticker that Brian Kelly was given more control of player acquisitions. Very few are able to walk both lines, it was Shannahans downfall in Washington. Pick to be GM or head coach and I think he would be exceptional in either.

Bottom line, Bears need to pay Trestman 7 million over the next two years if he does not take another nfl job. First time coaches in football are not following the NBA status of 5 million per year. Pretty sure Shannahan will be at the high end, where a promoted coordinator would probably be low end.
Money is no object. We need the right guy and money is not a factor.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since then, what exactly is it that gives us reason to think he is going to save Cutler from himself? Cutler and Shanahan had a losing record together with a better defense in Denver
Shanny's D in 2008 his last year with Cutler was ranked 30th giving up 448 points.

Cutler had 4526 yards and 25 TD's 18 Ints (Probowl season)
In 2008- the Bronco's split running duties between 3 guys: Peyton Hillis- 343, Micheal Pitman 320, Selvin Young 303.
I would have to think that Forte, Carey, and someone else- Could do better?

In Washington he had
2009- McNabb/Rex Grossman
2010- Rex Grossman/John Beck
2011- Rex Grossman/ John Beck
2012- RG3- rookie of the year
2013- RG3 fallout & injury's
That doesn't look like the best options for his career in Washington. Add that to dealing with Snider.

I'm not saying that he would be the best thing ever... and I'm not apposed to someone else, or a rookie HC- who knows Gase or Quinn could be the 2nd coming of Belicheck... I'm just weary is all.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still in the Dave Toub boat.........he would help the special teams, stay out of the way on offense and defense and just worry about time management and all the other head coaching duties. It worked before it will work again

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate to have to root for Shannahan.

Hated the fucking Donkeys, and his notoriously dirty fucking o-lines. Dude even looks like the devil.

Two words. Terell Fucking Davis.

I think there are more than two words, you watched the broncos with a new dominant running back for three or four years in a row. It worked for all of them. They didnt even bother to try to pay Moreno because the track record of finding 5 different 1000 yard running backs since Davis left under shannahan was almost a given. Zone blocking is so much better than calling out adjustments and trying to get 5 or 6 guys on the same page.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Shanny's D in 2008 his last year with Cutler was ranked 30th giving up 448 points.

Cutler had 4526 yards and 25 TD's 18 Ints (Probowl season)
In 2008- the Bronco's split running duties between 3 guys: Peyton Hillis- 343, Micheal Pitman 320, Selvin Young 303.
I would have to think that Forte, Carey, and someone else- Could do better?

In Washington he had
2009- McNabb/Rex Grossman
2010- Rex Grossman/John Beck
2011- Rex Grossman/ John Beck
2012- RG3- rookie of the year
2013- RG3 fallout & injury's
That doesn't look like the best options for his career in Washington. Add that to dealing with Snider.

I'm not saying that he would be the best thing ever... and I'm not apposed to someone else, or a rookie HC- who knows Gase or Quinn could be the 2nd coming of Belicheck... I'm just weary is all.

The denver defenses were 14th, 19th, and 29th in cutlers three denver years. On balance definitely better than the current bear defense.

There are many who think Shanahan is who is responsible for fucking up RG3. I agree that being saddled with grossman hurt his career record.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are more than two words, you watched the broncos with a new dominant running back for three or four years in a row. It worked for all of them. They didnt even bother to try to pay Moreno because the track record of finding 5 different 1000 yard running backs since Davis left under shannahan was almost a given. Zone blocking is so much better than calling out adjustments and trying to get 5 or 6 guys on the same page.

It was a joke. Shoulda added smiley I guess

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my thing with Shanahan. The guy's offensive expertise is in zone blocking. I mean...that's literally his expertise. Yes, the Bears currently mainly use zone blocking, so as far as that goes, it's a good fit. The Bears running game was not the fundamental problem this year....it wasn't the best, but when used, the Bears ran reasonably well, even though Forte didn't do much in the way of breaking off long runs.

But that's also the problem. Shanahan has not demonstrated anything whatsoever to show he is an expert in the modern NFL passing game, and it is the passing offense that is the biggest Bears success wild card right now. He had one great run of offense, the offense with John Elway, in the late 1990s, but by then Elway was already running a great passing game. Since then, what exactly is it that gives us reason to think he is going to save Cutler from himself? Cutler and Shanahan had a losing record together with a better defense in Denver. He is supposed to be our salvation? I'm not sure I understand that.

I think Shanahan has name recognition, and granted that some of the problems with this roster concern screwed up lines of respect and strong leadership, fine. But there are other guys who could turn out to be strong leaders, and probably offer more promise of unlocking this offense's passing potential.

So really, no thanks, I hope. Pick someone else.

That defense in 2008 was SOOO FAR from better. Do you remember the end of that season? I think they lost something like almost every single starter. They were shredded for 40-50 points every game. It was a laughing stock of a defense.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw that this was already addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cubzzzfanincali

40 or 50 points? Unlike this bear defense. Haha kidding. Unfortunately, only a little bit.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That defense in 2008 was SOOO FAR from better. Do you remember the end of that season? I think they lost something like almost every single starter. They were shredded for 40-50 points every game. It was a laughing stock of a defense.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw that this was already addressed.

Actually, while the injury part is correct, the points against is blatantly wrong.

2008 Denver Broncos Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The last 4 games of the season they gave up 17(win) 30(loss) 30(loss) and 52(loss)

While the D was bad(they gave up 30 or more points in 8 of the 16 games) they still won 3 of those games and went 4-4 the second half of the season.

The fact is they just weren't a very good defensively built team(the previous years stats back this up as well).

Last edited by a moderator:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, while the injury part is correct, the points against is blatantly wrong.

2008 Denver Broncos Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The last 4 games of the season they gave up 17(win) 30(loss) 30(loss) and 52(loss)

While the D was bad(they gave up 30 or more points in 8 of the 16 games) they still won 3 of those games and went 4-4 the second half of the season.

The fact is they just weren't a very good defensively built team(the previous years stats back this up as well).

Fair enough, all I know is that they were so damn helpless defensively in the final couple of weeks. Decimated by injuries everywhere, and even starting something like their 6th RB of the season on offense.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but vaguely remember Cutler's play dipping before he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I remember reading he had dropped alot of weight, but I can't even remember when that was to start looking. Anyone remember that?

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but vaguely remember Cutler's play dipping before he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I remember reading he had dropped alot of weight, but I can't even remember when that was to start looking. Anyone remember that?

My Mom says "bullshit". She knows hockey players have an insulin pump so Cutler can get one or manage his diabetes.

C

cubzzzfanincali

My Mom says "bullshit". She knows hockey players have an insulin pump so Cutler can get one or manage his diabetes.

I'm *obviously* no Cutler apologist, but this is one thing I give him a huge amount of credit for, considering what I (not a nurse) have seen from Type 1 sufferers, which is that it is a huge problem.

Dude, if your Mom, as a nurse, has that attitude about it, God help any Type 1 sufferers under her ignorant watch.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Read it again genius then ask your mommy if a undiagnosed diabetic condition could affect a professional athletes performance.

Here, i'll repost it and bold the operative words for you.

Dirk said:

There you go. Please tell me now how in ANY way you extracted from that quote anything about me mentioning it as a current situation?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Dirk, I appreciate what you are saying, but some Type 1 sufferers have a virtually impossible time controlling wild swing in sugar levels, even with insulin. If their body chemistry is bad, they are at some risk of diabetic coma more or less always.

Bad Type 1 sufferers are even at lethal risk even from an otherwise normal injury. I know a few people who have it know, and know a couple who have died from it. It's really disruptive to a life any of us would call normal.

I doubt Cutler's case is *that* bad, but really I have no idea. I actually partially blame some of his bad decision making on fucked up body chemistry. While I feel bad for the guy, if he can't control it, he shouldn't be our quarterback. Pure and simple.

But I would never just chalk up the issue to "bullshit". If any medical professional said any such thing to me, I'd have to consider that something between insanely incompetent and patent evil.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, Type 1 is fucking crazy. It's actually amazing that he has been as successful as he has.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk, I appreciate what you are saying, but some Type 1 sufferers have a virtually impossible time controlling wild swing in sugar levels, even with insulin. If their body chemistry is bad, they are at some risk of diabetic coma more or less always.

Bad Type 1 sufferers are even at lethal risk even from an otherwise normal injury. I know a few people who have it know, and know a couple who have died from it. It's really disruptive to a life any of us would call normal.

I doubt Cutler's case is *that* bad, but really I have no idea. I actually partially blame some of his bad decision making on fucked up body chemistry. While I feel bad for the guy, if he can't control it, he shouldn't be our quarterback. Pure and simple.

But I would never just chalk up the issue to "bullshit". If any medical professional said any such thing to me, I'd have to consider that something between insanely incompetent and patent evil.

Again, I'm not saying that his condition is contributing to his level of play for the past X years.

I was saying I remember his play dipping during the season before he was diagnosed.