• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Carousel - League-Wide Openings and CandisatesI've

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about having this as part of Lucas' thread on coaching candidates, but didn't want to pollute that one. There will probably be more openings, but this is a spot for discussion about rumors on what coaches are going where.

Jacksonville had a jump start, so quite a few names are already being discussed. Last week Tom Coughlin was interviewed and this week both Kyle Shanahan and Harold Goodwin (Cardinals) are being interviewed. Other names thrown around are Marrone who finished the season as the interim, Mike Smith, Todd Haley, McDaniels, Todd Haley, and Anthony Lynn.

LA Rams - the big name thrown around in LA is Sean Payton, which of course if a "trade" is worked out would mean an additional opening in New Orleans. Interim coach John Fassel and McDaniels are being interviewed this week and Anthony Lynn's name has also been mentioned.

Buffalo Bills - It appears they are hard after Anthony Lynn who finished the year as the interim after Rex was fired. The former Bronco is seen as an up and coming coach - and small market Buffalo is hard pressed to compete with most other franchises for top candidates. I've heard from my niece that the Lions DC and Tom Coughlin are the other names mentioned around the building.

San Francisco - The 9ers say they will hire their new GM first before hiring a coach - a good idea. But then I see this morning that they will interview McDaniels this week. So much for working the plan. Meanwhile they are interviewing the Chiefs and former Bears employee Chris Ballard for the GM position.

San Diego Chargers - first names rumored out of our AFC West opponent are Marrone, Shanahan, David Shaw, Dave Toub, and former Falcon coach Mike Smith.

Of all the jobs, I think Denver's is the most attractive - but let's carry on discussion there in Spirit's thread.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston and Detroit are also on the watch list. Have to wait for playoffs to complete
Josh , Doug and Kyle seem to the top 3 hottest

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice spelling on the title. :rolleyes2:

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston and Detroit are also on the watch list. Have to wait for playoffs to complete
Josh , Doug and Kyle seem to the top 3 hottest
Anthony Lynn also gets mentioned a lot.

Speaking of that, from a personal standpoint, I have mixed feeling about where (if) Lynn gets hired. It's almost a certainty that Jason will go wherever he goes as Anthony thinks highly of Jason. One one hand staying in Buffalo will be the easiest transition, part of me thinks that for his career Jason would be better served moving on to a new franchise.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List of 9ers rumored candidates
McDaniels
Tom Cable
Anthony Lynn
Vance Joseph
Doug Marrone

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Lynn also gets mentioned a lot.

Speaking of that, from a personal standpoint, I have mixed feeling about where (if) Lynn gets hired. It's almost a certainty that Jason will go wherever he goes as Anthony thinks highly of Jason. One one hand staying in Buffalo will be the easiest transition, part of me thinks that for his career Jason would be better served moving on to a new franchise.

Yeah not sure the Bills are where I would stay. Going to be tough to win the division any time soon with NE continues to stay on top. They are in quite the bind with the QB situation of maybe cutting Tyrod and not having much else beyond him at this point. Draft position wise not in a great spot to get one of the top-2 QB's and not a great draft for QB's anyway.

I would say Lynn could find better opportunities. I wouldn't be shocked if Denver gave him a call to come work with the Broncos young QB's and give him a great chance to win right away.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance Elway gives a college coach a look ? Fisher ? :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance Elway gives a college coach a look ? Fisher ? :)

David Shaw's name is being floated out there for the Broncos. He has the connection through coaching Elway's alma mater and being one of the few college coaches people really think could do well making the leap to the NFL. He runs a pro style system in Stanford so the transition wouldn't be crazy. He also helps meet the Rooney rule of a minority coach.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph or Shanny imo

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Shaw's name is being floated out there for the Broncos. He has the connection through coaching Elway's alma mater and being one of the few college coaches people really think could do well making the leap to the NFL. He runs a pro style system in Stanford so the transition wouldn't be crazy. He also helps meet the Rooney rule of a minority coach.
He also coached 9 years in the NFL, so it's not like an unfamiliar environment.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also makes $4MM . Again who would be his OC?
Just saw this, sorry Chris. I wasn't promoting him for the job, just making the statement that he wouldn't be a newbie to the NFL.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any news about the Broncos head coaching interviews? Denver is obviously the best head coach opening right now. The 49ers are waiting to see what happens in Denver. The 49ers interviewed Kyle Shanahan and are supposed to interview Vance Joseph on Thursday assuming he does not get an offer from the Broncos today. The word over hers in California anyway is that if Vance Joseph leaves Denver today without an offer from the Broncos he isn't going to get one from the team.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any news about the Broncos head coaching interviews? Denver is obviously the best head coach opening right now. The 49ers are waiting to see what happens in Denver. The 49ers interviewed Kyle Shanahan and are supposed to interview Vance Joseph on Thursday assuming he does not get an offer from the Broncos today. The word over hers in California anyway is that if Vance Joseph leaves Denver today without an offer from the Broncos he isn't going to get one from the team.

Broncos interview Vance Joseph this afternoon. I would guess if he isn't hired tonight or tomorrow by the broncos they are going with Kyle Shanahan.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Pattersonca65 And Joseph has left and headed to San Diego. Seems like it will be Baby Shanny.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Klis of 9News reporting that Vance Joseph is still at Broncos HQ as of 30 minutes ago. Elway's tweet never said that Vance had left.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping the initial rumors were wrong and that they are still talking.