• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2018 Speculation Thread - Update - NHL says they are not participating

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman on the NHL at the Olympics:

“After five experiences, it hasn’t had any positive impact, at least here in North America.”

I was feeling pretty positive after this game.

I Remember walking home after that game. There are barely any moments that i have more or as patriotic (sp) then I did during that 20 minute walk

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Remember walking home after that game. There are barely any moments that i have more or as patriotic (sp) then I did during that 20 minute walk
The NHL can't use that footage to promote or cross-promote its product. That is an NHL player scoring one of the most famous goals in hockey history against another NHL player on a sheet of ice filled with NHL players in an arena that hosts an NHL team and they would be served if they used that footage on one of their broadcasts or in promotional material.

That is why the NHL are being dicks about this, and I can't really blame them.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bunch of fucking cowards

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say that it disappoints me as a fan, as Olympic hockey games have been some of the best hockey I have ever watched. Heck, I know I wasn't the only one up at 3 am watching the gold medal game from Sochi in 2014.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say that it disappoints me as a fan, as Olympic hockey games have been some of the best hockey I have ever watched. Heck, I know I wasn't the only one up at 3 am watching the gold medal game from Sochi in 2014.

Agreed.

Not a new idea, but why not participate and forgo the ASG in Olympic years? I know it is about the $$$, so strongarm the IOC to make the greedy owners financially whole.

I am trying hard to see the owner's point about the 2 week shutdown of the League, which I do think is fair, but participation by the best players is very good for the sport.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and the bobsled concept of "Canada I" and "Canada II" teams should be allowed.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Paek and Richard Park win co-mvps of the tournament

Canada wins gold

upon finishing 8th, Team USA veterans TJ Oshie and David Backes bring back stray dogs to America saving them from ending up on Korean BBQ menus

yup ... with the news today ... the above prediction is 98% likely to happen for sure now ... its definitely ahead of the ... paek :whistle:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Not a new idea, but why not participate and forgo the ASG in Olympic years? I know it is about the $$$, so strongarm the IOC to make the greedy owners financially whole.

I am trying hard to see the owner's point about the 2 week shutdown of the League, which I do think is fair, but participation by the best players is very good for the sport.
They already forgo the ASG in Olympic years.

The owners did try to strongarm the IOC. They wanted some incentive, any incentive to give them the best players on earth in the middle of the regular season and the IOC flat-out rejected any notion of paying the NHL for players. They even rescinded the travel and lodging costs they had provided to the players in Sochi.

There has never been any proof of an Olympic-related bump in fan interest in the NHL. It’s just never happened. How can you convince billionaires to lend out their multi-million dollar toys with no reward and at substantial risk?

I like the Olympic tourney as much as anybody because I enjoy watching the Canadians let the Americans think they have a chance in hell before ripping their hearts out of their chests but frankly I’m fine with this.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot of unnecessary work for a job where you sit for 60 seconds, then you are done. :nod:

It's funny, the bobsledders around the Olympic Village are thought of as the best conditioned athletes at the Games.

/Just like F1 drivers are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already forgo the ASG in Olympic years.

The owners did try to strongarm the IOC. They wanted some incentive, any incentive to give them the best players on earth in the middle of the regular season and the IOC flat-out rejected any notion of paying the NHL for players. They even rescinded the travel and lodging costs they had provided to the players in Sochi.

There has never been any proof of an Olympic-related bump in fan interest in the NHL. It’s just never happened. How can you convince billionaires to lend out their multi-million dollar toys with no reward and at substantial risk?

I like the Olympic tourney as much as anybody because I enjoy watching the Canadians let the Americans think they have a chance in hell before ripping their hearts out of their chests but frankly I’m fine with this.

Thanks for the info.

/As usual, I am a few weeks late to the party.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Lemieux 2002 Olympics

2002olympics.jpg

Mario Lemieux 2004 World Cup

Mario-Lemieux-with-2004-World-Cup-Trophy-Photofile-Photograph-C12189087.jpg

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I put kimchee on my poutine is it then not poutine anymore?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of curious to see nonpros in the Olympics.

*non - North American Pros.

I am sure KHL players will be there. Swedish Elite, DEL, etc.

I'm torn. I like the idea that players who aren't already one of the top 10 on earth at their position getting a shot to play. I think you'd see some serious passion and effort. Might mix some things up. And I would enjoy watching the games without my sphincter clenched every time Bobrovski goes into the splits for fear he's gonna blow out his groin.

But the hockey is pretty phenomenal, watching line combos that you could only have on Xbox.