• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2018 Speculation Thread - Update - NHL says they are not participating

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Russia takes gold in 2018 and then subsequently have their gold medal stripped due to half the team testing positive for meldonium.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These types of numbers for a World Cup final game would make Bettman pee uncontrollably.

March 1st, 2010

Canada's victory against Team USA in the Olympic gold-medal game Sunday night was the most-watched hockey game in the United States in 30 years.

The game drew an average viewership of 27.6 million, making it the most-watched hockey broadcast since the U.S. team beat Finland to win gold at 1980 Olympics. That game drew 32.8 million fans and came on the heels of the historic U.S. win against the U.S.S.R. in the "Miracle on Ice" game.

Olympic final most-watched hockey game in 30 years

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, today's decision doesn't bother me. The season is long enough as is, no need for a 2 week break in action during the season. Be good to see amateurs play olympic hockey again.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of curious to see if OV will still go to the Games in 2018.

100% chance he goes. Leonsis has came out in December and said he will support him if the NHL decided not to go.

Capitals owner supports Ovechkin in Olympics

"He knows I have his back on this one. If this is what's so important to him and he wants to go to the Olympics, he should be able to do that," Leonsis told ESPN.com. "Alex has meant so much to us. He doesn't ask for much back. ... I'm not shy about saying it, I would support the player in this instance."

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see if there is any penalty for a player going to the Olympics anyway. That would irk me more than this already does.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see if there is any penalty for a player going to the Olympics anyway. That would irk me more than this already does.

I don't think the NHL would do anything (they would leave it to the team to suspend the player or hand down any other punishment they deem suitable). if Leonsis stands by his decision to support OV, I don't see the NHL stepping in to hand down any kind of discipline.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% chance he goes. Leonsis has came out in December and said he will support him if the NHL decided not to go.

Capitals owner supports Ovechkin in Olympics
Yeah it's one thing if OV goes. It's quite another if Backstrom, Holtby, Kuznetsov etc. all decide they wanna go too. If you open that floodgate what are you leaving for those guys who are staying home?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's one thing if OV goes. It's quite another if Backstrom, Holtby, Kuznetsov etc. all decide they wanna go too. If you open that floodgate what are you leaving for those guys who are staying home?

I for one want to see Tom Wilson and Jay Beagle leading the Caps in ice time.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jagr,not wanting to piss off either side,will fly back and forth,and play for the Czechs and his new team,the Vegas Knights.

Being up there in age he'll only average a couple of goals in each contest played.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canadian and US fans should just boycott watching the Olympics and let the networks know that that's going to happen ahead of time.

WF else during the winter games are worth my time, I do enjoy the snow boarding and downhill but after that.....snooze!!

Ok I do like the speed skating also....

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Men's doubles luge is the bees knees.

world_cup_luge.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x563.jpg

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok what the story behind the for sale signs on the helmits

I suspect it means exactly what it says. If you've got some funding, they've got some head space :wink:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This will be a serious problem for the Caps it the owner and OV push it.

What if Auston says he is going? Crosby? Laine? And more importantly, what if one team allows it and others do not? Like it or not, Bettman needs to get the teams all on one page for this.

I think most fans will watch Olympics with pros over a regular season NHL game. If Crosby, Malkin, Kessel (oh wait, he is not worthy) all go to the Olympics, who is going to come out for the Tuesday night tilt between PIT and COL next February?

Problem the NHL has is that a precedent has been set. And much like anything in life, once you give something it is da_ned tough to take it away again.

Obvious solution:

Let the pros play. And "if" Canada wins, then each NHL team contributing a player gets........wait for it......

A Win In The Bank for the playoffs that year!

(oh, and the US teams get the same offer, but they wont choose their best players and will have Torts coaching, so, hey, it is really irrelevant).