• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL's Top Franchise Players?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Custance Blog

Choosing NHL's top franchise player
in.gif

If you were starting a franchise from scratch and could choose from any current player in the NHL, who would be your top choice?

Who is, in essence, the NHL's top "franchise player"?

I asked a dozen NHL executives, coaches and players to send in their top five franchise picks, in order, then assigned point values for each vote to come up with an overall ranking.

Here are the overall results:

1. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks: 43 points (six first-place votes)

Conduct this poll a couple years ago and it’s likely that Sidney Crosby convincingly runs away with it. But with two Stanley Cups as captain of the Blackhawks, along with the two gold medals he shares with Crosby on Team Canada, Toews edged out the Penguins star as the player these panelists would most prefer to build their franchise around.

“He puts my franchise on the map,” one executive said. “On a scale of 1 to 10 for his skill, he’s probably a seven. His skating is a six. But his compete is a 10. His hockey sense is a 10. His defensive play is a 10. His character is a 10. His will is a 10. He’ll do things franchise-wise not only to make the guys on the ice better, but to make the team better.”

In terms of skill and point production, Crosby is the best in the league, but Toews’ combination of skill and leadership put him at the top of six of the ballots.

“Jonathan Toews has ownership of that team. He makes everyone accountable. He makes everyone better,” an Eastern Conference executive said. “There aren’t a lot of guys in the NHL you can say that about. He might be the only one.”

2. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins: 41 points (four first-place votes)

Toews may have gotten the edge, but this was a two-horse race for the title of top franchise player. You can’t go wrong with either of them.

“I don’t think it’s a slam dunk Toews over Crosby,” said one GM who had Toews first. “I think there’s more dynamic ability in Sidney. I think the other pieces go to Toews -- the intangible pieces. But we’re talking about Crosby; it’s not like that’s a consolation prize.”

Said another voter on Crosby: “He still is a 100-point guy. He still does have character. The other thing about Sid is a lot of the situation and the negative things that go with him in Pittsburgh may just be a function of Pittsburgh. Sid does work. He does make other players around him better.”

3. Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings: 21 points

Most of the ballots were heavy on centers, but Doughty was the clear-cut No. 3 on this list. If you’re taking a defenseman to build your team around, this is the guy. He’s got two Stanley Cups, he’s got two Olympic gold medals and he was a major contributor on all those championship teams.

The best part? He’s 24 years old. The window of high-level play you’re getting with Doughty may be longer than anyone's on this list. That was a consideration for one voter who went defense-heavy on his list.

“Defensemen are more valuable. They stay prime performers [for] longer periods of time. Doughty has already accomplished a lot, and his best years are ahead of him,” he said. “There are not a lot of elite scorers after 28 years old.”

4. Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks: 8 points

The fact that Getzlaf got so much support at 29 years old just shows how respected he is inside the game. At 6-foot-4, he’s a horse and a guy you can anchor your team around.

“He’s a winner,” said the Western Conference player who had Getzlaf at No. 4 on his ballot. “In the league now, big centermen who are skilled are at a premium. You look at teams who win, they have those guys.”

5. (tie) Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche: 7 points

MacKinnon may not be one of the five best players in the league at this moment, but if you’re building a team, there’s a strong case to be made starting with a franchise center who still hasn’t turned 19.

“It’s a little bit of a projection there,” said a GM who had MacKinnon at No. 3 behind Toews and Crosby. “It’s the dynamic ability and speed. I’ve got a lot of guys ahead of him today, but if you’re looking forward the next 10 years ...”

5. (tie) Shea Weber, Nashville Predators: 7 points

Doughty gets the edge because of his age, but even at 28 years old, there’s still a lot of premium game left in Weber, who scored 23 goals last season for Nashville. “Weber brings leadership that Drew doesn’t,” a voter said. One coach had Weber at No. 6 on a five-man list and an executive who had Doughty and four centermen considered Weber hard as his lone defenseman.

“Weber, to me, would be in the mix there. [Duncan] Keith is a little bit older. I put Doughty just ahead of that crew. And the more I think about it, the more Oliver Ekman-Larsson is in that conversation. He’s not far behind those.” One of the players had Ekman-Larsson on his list. “The guy is unbelievable,” he said. “Some of the [stuff] he does is unbelievable. Watch the guy, the way he defends is so effortless. It’s crazy.”

7. (tie) Anze Kopitar, Kings: 6 points (one first-place vote)

He was on only two ballots, but one of them was a first-place vote. It came from a player who competes often against Kopitar and feels his game is still underappreciated even after two Stanley Cup runs. “He’s underrated, but he’s great,” he said. “He’s killing penalties for them. He plays every situation. He’s just a great all-around player. He’s underrated for what he does and how good he is. Any guy who can lead their team to a championship two out of three years is right up there. Kopitar, Toews and Crosby are all in the mix.”

7. (tie) John Tavares, New York Islanders: 6 points

“Incredible skill and just starting to mature into the guy who will take that team to full-time respectability,” a coach said. “The Olympics were awesome for him, to be surrounded by so many winners.”

9. (tie) Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens, and Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins : 5 points

Building around goalies wasn’t a popular choice, but those who included goalies leaned toward Price and Rask.

“I considered goalies, and the truth is they’re the player who has the most impact on your team’s success. They can make coaches and management look really good,” a voter said. “Who is that goalie who is so good and consistent and still young enough that you know for the next 10 years he’ll be a difference-maker?”

At 26 years old and with an Olympic gold medal on his résumé, Price could be the one. Rask, at 27, is the other strong option for those who want a goalie. “I think he’s the best goalie in the league,” said an exec who had him No. 2 on his ballot. “He’s young. He’s high-character and he would inspire his teammates to be better players because of his skill level.”

9. (tie) Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning: 5 points

For those looking for pure goal-scoring, Stamkos is the guy. In two of the past three seasons, he’s led the NHL in goals per game. Last year, he averaged 0.68 goals per game, and in 2011-12, that number was 0.73, good for 68 goals on the season. That’s ridiculous. “Arguably the top goal scorer in the game,” said a general manager. “I think he’s pretty good.”

12. P.K. Subban, Canadiens: 4 points

“He’s just a horse,” one executive said. A coach had him the highest, at No. 2 on his ballot. “Incredible personality and he has a lust for life that makes him the player he is,” he said. “He has the game to back it up and dynamic game-changing ability, and he is only getting better as he matures.”

13. Evgeni Malkin, Penguins: 2 points

Another big center (6-foot-3) who is still young enough at 27 to build around for the next several years.

Others receiving votes: Henrik Lundqvist, Rangers; Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues; Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings; Patrick Kane, Blackhawks; Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Phoenix Coyotes

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the executives polled were mostly out of the West and were sleeping when their teams played the Blue Jackets.

I'd have Ryan Johansen ahead of Kopitar, Price and McKinnon, but below Tavares and Stamkos.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the executives polled were mostly out of the West and were sleeping when their teams played the Blue Jackets.

I'd have Ryan Johansen ahead of Kopitar, Price and McKinnon, but below Tavares and Stamkos.

Or, perhaps they were looking at his 1st two seasons when he looked clearly overmatched at the NHL level. Give me a second year where he builds on his success from last year and he can enter the conversation.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, perhaps they were looking at his 1st two seasons when he looked clearly overmatched at the NHL level. Give me a second year where he builds on his success from last year and he can enter the conversation.

He's already in the conversation. The premise is starting a franchise from scratch. Now I love me some Datsyuk, but he's on the last couple years of his career and his body is breaking down. To choose him over Johansen, a budding superstar in his early 20's, is something Paul Holmgren would do. A smart GM would target those young guys over the guys in their 30's. And goalies are too fickle to be considered franchise cornerstones.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's already in the conversation. The premise is starting a franchise from scratch. Now I love me some Datsyuk, but he's on the last couple years of his career and his body is breaking down. To choose him over Johansen, a budding superstar in his early 20's, is something Paul Holmgren would do. A smart GM would target those young guys over the guys in their 30's. And goalies are too fickle to be considered franchise cornerstones.

Remember, the basis for the list was asking for top 5 lists. No way Johansen should be on ANYONE'S top 5 list at this point. Holmgren would have both Datsyuk AND Johansen on his list, right behind Bobby Clarke, some kid who impressed in a pee-wee league last year, and Ilya Bryzgalov.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, the basis for the list was asking for top 5 lists. No way Johansen should be on ANYONE'S top 5 list at this point.

What's the justification for MacKinnon being listed in the top 5? Both he and Johansen are young budding stars and both potted 63 points last year.

Again, these guys polled must all be from the West, because it's crazy to see MacKinnon rated over Stamkos and Tavares and no consideration for Johansen.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting no Claude Giroux not even in the honorable mentions.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the justification for MacKinnon being listed in the top 5? Both he and Johansen are young budding stars and both potted 63 points last year.

This goes back to my first reply. MacKinnon had those points IN HIS FIRST YEAR in the league. Johansen was mediocre at best in his first 2, so he clearly slots behind MacKinnon at this point. Doesn't mean he can't turn out to be the better pick in the long run, but MacKinnon is the safer pick right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting no Claude Giroux not even in the honorable mentions.

Yep, not a single vote for Giroux in anyone's top 5. Not really surprising considering he's probably not even a top 5 center let alone a top 5 overall player.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, not a single vote for Giroux in anyone's top 5. Not really surprising considering he's probably not even a top 5 center let alone a top 5 overall player.

Also no mention of Ovechkin. Who thought his stock would ever dip this low?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also no mention of Ovechkin. Who thought his stock would ever dip this low?

Definitely. People like winners, and Ovechkin hasn't won crap or even come close.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one single mention of Jamie Benn...

Bogus list.

Did you read how the list was calculated? Those polled had to vote for their top 5. Jamie Benn is good, but should not be considered a top 5 player in anyone's mind.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read how the list was calculated? Those polled had to vote for their top 5. Jamie Benn is good, but should not be considered a top 5 player in anyone's mind.

I reckon... we will see.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. If it was me and I had to choose between Jamie Benn or McKinnon, Kopitar, Price, Subban, Malkin, Pietrangelo, Lundqvist, Kane, Datsyuk or Ekman-Larsson to start my franchise, Benn would've been the choice to round out my top five. There was obviously homerism from the voters.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. If it was me and I had to choose between Jamie Benn or McKinnon, Kopitar, Price, Subban, Malkin, Pietrangelo, Lundqvist, Kane, Datsyuk or Ekman-Larsson to start my franchise, Benn would've been the choice to round out my top five. There was obviously homerism from the voters.

You guys know how long I've been beating that drum... and I will keep maintaining;

Making the Canadian Olympic team only showed him how good he can really be... and he was an absolute beast against the Ducks in the playoffs. And - he's only 24.

I have a real strong sense this season is going to be "special".

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know how long I've been beating that drum... and I will keep maintaining;

Making the Canadian Olympic team only showed him how good he can really be... and he was an absolute beast against the Ducks in the playoffs. And - he's only 24.

I have a real strong sense this season is going to be "special".

Maybe so. Power forward types do tend to have a slower development curve.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. Power forward types do tend to have a slower development curve.

Agreed... and some get buried on crap teams where their talents are unrecognized. That's why I was so happy to see his success on the Canadian national team. I've been watching him grow up for several years and he is an absolute joy to watch.

Jim Nill has added some significant pieces. They will be better. And Jamie Benn will be at the front of the charge. He's everything you want in a power forward.