• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2018 Speculation Thread - Update - NHL says they are not participating

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, a lock out can provide a much higher entertainment value than a 3 week tournament once every four years. Next lockout is due for an entire season again if the pattern holds and I can't wait.

Well, if the result is a clamp down on "tapping" (aka slashing) and other infractions to allow the skilled players to showcase their talents, it might be not a bad price to pay.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya what was the 2014 final rating lol. Then turn the start time back a few more hours and that's what you'll get in Korea.

yah 2010 was certainly the perfect storm ... all north american final ... televised on a sunday afternoon ... most importantly, televised live on the main NBC network

thats what figure skating will always have over hockey ... people who watch it dont care that its pre-taped and the main network loves it most because you dont have to stick with it for 3 hours straight ... you can break away from figure skating and show biathalon or 1 of the many "up close and personal" skater profiles or a 20 minute segment on Apolo Anton Ohno

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah 2010 was certainly the perfect storm ... all north american final ... televised on a sunday afternoon ... most importantly, televised live on the main NBC network

thats what figure skating will always have over hockey ... people who watch it dont care that its pre-taped and the main network loves it most because you dont have to stick with it for 3 hours straight ... you can break away from figure skating and show biathalon or 1 of the many "up close and personal" skater profiles or a 20 minute segment on Apolo Anton Ohno

Just this past Saturday night, my wife and daughter were upstairs watching figure skating while I was downstairs in the mancave watching HNIC as they were being aired at the same time :D

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not so sure about that comeds ... i think for sure you could say that 2 or 3 Olympics ago ... It all boils down to whether a US team/competitor is in a final gold medal event/game now ... If the US is in the final, mens hockey becomes the marquis event

/when the US womens national hockey team was fighting over wages last week, Christine Brennan came out with revenue numbers from the Sochi Olympic year that showed USA Hockey had triple the revenue as US Figure Skating
Maybe my numbers are outdated, perhaps the ratings for the games did climb.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you record that? Can you send it to me? PAL format please.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just this past Saturday night, my wife and daughter were upstairs watching figure skating while I was downstairs in the mancave watching HNIC as they were being aired at the same time :D

Dude, get yo' women in line. Make 'em watch a real sport.

When we started, my wife thought it was "embarrassing" when I would yell at the referees. Heck, she didnt know the difference between a referee and a linesman. And she thought Holtby was good.

But she has learned. She recognizes Don Cherry, knows that Matthews > Gretzky, and actually authorized me spending $2,500 on tickets to see the Nashville-Toronto game a couple of weeks ago (we didn't go). She is a total fan, watches both HNIC games, the only thing she is still wrong about is the hipcheck. She thinks it is dangerous and has no place in hockey. :noidea:

You can get them there dash, I know you can! Unless you dont want them in your mancave, in which case carry on.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, get yo' women in line. Make 'em watch a real sport.

When we started, my wife thought it was "embarrassing" when I would yell at the referees. Heck, she didnt know the difference between a referee and a linesman. And she thought Holtby was good.

But she has learned. She recognizes Don Cherry, knows that Matthews > Gretzky, and actually authorized me spending $2,500 on tickets to see the Nashville-Toronto game a couple of weeks ago (we didn't go). She is a total fan, watches both HNIC games, the only thing she is still wrong about is the hipcheck. She thinks it is dangerous and has no place in hockey. :noidea:

You can get them there dash, I know you can! Unless you dont want them in your mancave, in which case carry on.

I've tried Dave, believe me I've tried - They were Canucks fans for a while when Luongo was in Vancouver, but once they sent him packing to Florida, they lost interest.

/I've also lost the fight against Justin Bieber :pout:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tried Dave, believe me I've tried - They were Canucks fans for a while when Luongo was in Vancouver, but once they sent him packing to Florida, they lost interest.

Some times you just gotta throw in the towel.

rocky-iii-560-mickey.jpg

Sorry man. Bieber? Damn that is tough.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Much like everyone else when it comes to Florida and hockey.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Team Canada B Team
woof. (way too many former Canucks)

Hockey Canada contemplates ‘B team’ to replace NHL stars at 2018 Olympics

2018 team (without NHL players)

Goaltenders:

Zach Fucale, Brampton (ECHL); Drew MacIntyre, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Ben Scrivens, HC Dinamo Minsk (KHL); Danny Taylor, HC Sibir Novosibirsk (KHL)

Defencemen:

Chay Genoway, Jokerit Helsinki (KHL); Geoff Kinrade, Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk (KHL); Chris Lee, Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL); Patrick McNeill, Ingolstadt ERC (Germany); Shaone Morrisonn, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Maxim Noreau, SC Bern (Switzerland); Blake Parlett, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Mat Robinson; HC Dynamo Moscow (KHL); Jonathan Sigalet, Frolunda HC (Sweden); Daniel Vukovic, Genève-Servette (Switzerland)

Forwards:

Chris Didomenico, SCL Tigers (Switzerland); Andrew Ebbett, SC Bern (Switzerland); Matt Ellison, HC Dinamo Minsk (KHL); Cory Emmerton, HC Ambri-Piotta (Switzerland); Andrew Gordon, Linkoping HC (Sweden); Dustin Jeffrey, Lausanne HC (Switzerland); Brandon Kozun, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL); Jonathan Matsumoto, Red Bull Munchen (Germany); Jacob Micflikier, EHC Biel-Bienne (Switzerland); David McIntyre, EV Zug (Switzerland); Marc-Antoine Pouliot, EHL Biel-Bienne (Switzerland); Mason Raymond, Geneve-Servette (Switzerland); Derek Roy, Omsk Avangard (KHL); Greg Scott, CSKA Moscow (KHL); James Sheppard, EHC Kloten (Switzerland); Nick Spaling, Genève-Servette (Switzerland); Paul Szczechura, Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL); Maxime Talbot, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL)

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NHL leaves it up to individual teams to handle Olympic participants, do you think we might see a lot of the guys in the minors play?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob mac asked this same question in the cesspool this morning ... but from a players perspective ... this could totally tear up some dressing rooms

Not saying this is causing a rift, but the constant questions are bound to bring out differences of opinion.

Capitals' Holtby won't play in Olympics without NHL involvement

The quote that the media will focus on to drive clicks is ""couldn't leave his team". Grab the popcorn. Neither Holtby or OV hide their feelings. And the media will eat it up.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team Canada B Team
woof. (way too many former Canucks)

Hockey Canada contemplates ‘B team’ to replace NHL stars at 2018 Olympics

2018 team (without NHL players)

Goaltenders:

Zach Fucale, Brampton (ECHL); Drew MacIntyre, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Ben Scrivens, HC Dinamo Minsk (KHL); Danny Taylor, HC Sibir Novosibirsk (KHL)

Defencemen:

Chay Genoway, Jokerit Helsinki (KHL); Geoff Kinrade, Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk (KHL); Chris Lee, Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL); Patrick McNeill, Ingolstadt ERC (Germany); Shaone Morrisonn, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Maxim Noreau, SC Bern (Switzerland); Blake Parlett, Medvescak Zagreb (KHL); Mat Robinson; HC Dynamo Moscow (KHL); Jonathan Sigalet, Frolunda HC (Sweden); Daniel Vukovic, Genève-Servette (Switzerland)

Forwards:

Chris Didomenico, SCL Tigers (Switzerland); Andrew Ebbett, SC Bern (Switzerland); Matt Ellison, HC Dinamo Minsk (KHL); Cory Emmerton, HC Ambri-Piotta (Switzerland); Andrew Gordon, Linkoping HC (Sweden); Dustin Jeffrey, Lausanne HC (Switzerland); Brandon Kozun, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL); Jonathan Matsumoto, Red Bull Munchen (Germany); Jacob Micflikier, EHC Biel-Bienne (Switzerland); David McIntyre, EV Zug (Switzerland); Marc-Antoine Pouliot, EHL Biel-Bienne (Switzerland); Mason Raymond, Geneve-Servette (Switzerland); Derek Roy, Omsk Avangard (KHL); Greg Scott, CSKA Moscow (KHL); James Sheppard, EHC Kloten (Switzerland); Nick Spaling, Genève-Servette (Switzerland); Paul Szczechura, Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL); Maxime Talbot, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL)

you mentioned spengler cup above ... this looks 90% like the roster for the last spengler cup team lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if it was posted here but i think I heard Ferraro say that the Russian Olympic team will not accept players with valid contracts from leagues that have said they wont be allowing players to go to the Olympics

meaning we might be seeing some contracts terminated/voided Kovalchuk style ???? :think: