• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic: Reall Good Advice!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is actually a lot of 4K content. The graphics are fantastic.
My 42" & 55" Panasonic Plasmas are 13 and 14 years old now. GREAT pictures still, but they won't last forever.
I'd probably go with a Sony OLED if I had to buy one today.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 50" Panasonic is 13 years old. I have NFL+
I have cable and don't know if I have any premium channels.
I have Amazon prime but don't watch their series because after 6 shows or so, the main characters will "come out" and I'll be watching gay ****.
I hate sitcoms.
All news is bad news.
Movies better be action adventure or damn good.
I don't know what 4k or 8k is.
Today is a good day! My wife does not have the TV on!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is actually a lot of 4K content. The graphics are fantastic.

My 42" & 55" Panasonic Plasmas are 13 and 14 years old now. GREAT pictures still, but they won't last forever.
I'd probably go with a Sony OLED if I had to buy one today.
This is a topic where "what makes you happy" should be the basis of a purchase decision (and there are no "right" answers, just "your" answer). I highly endorse the @cheerupcharlie approach if it makes you happy. But it doesn't for me. Mediocre graphics as long as I can be immersed into a story. I usually buy on the cheaper side, but look for features that currently make a difference. $400 or so is usually my sweet spot but I realize that wouldn't cut it for a lot of you. I expect 5 years from that but usually get more. I bought two in the past 15 years, 3 in the last 25.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 65" LG in my office/bedroom and the wife has a 55" Vizio in her "nest" in the family room. She also has a 42" Vizio in her library along with all of her Pulitzer Prize fiction winners since 1936 and her Classic fiction since 1920. Yes, she has read every one and some she's read two or three times. Since I only sit 6' fromthe TV, it's as good as being in the movies. If eith of these crap out, I'm getting a Sony OLED 75" for the office/bedroom suite.

I also have a A110 projector that I can hook up. Wife won't let me hook it up in the Great Room so I don't have a 5' x 8' wall open enough to project the TV or movies.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a topic where "what makes you happy" should be the basis of a purchase decision (and there are no "right" answers, just "your" answer). I highly endorse the @cheerupcharlie approach if it makes you happy. But it doesn't for me. Mediocre graphics as long as I can be immersed into a story. I usually buy on the cheaper side, but look for features that currently make a difference. $400 or so is usually my sweet spot but I realize that wouldn't cut it for a lot of you. I expect 5 years from that but usually get more. I bought two in the past 15 years, 3 in the last 25.
I whole heartedly agree. Whatever makes you happy.
Two in the last...13, and four in the last 30. Living room and bedroom.
I never cheap out, but I usually get last years top of the line when new tech is introduced.
I need to update my surround system. I have a Pioneer amp and separate surround amp that my wife bought for me in 1986.
It was a great system 37 years ago. Time for a new Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505 and a Klipsch speaker system.