• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could you sit here and say the RAIDERS have only a two year window when the players we are locking up are just starting their careers? It don't even make sense. Now i understand where you are coming from with the cap and all, but these players ain't old like AR, Brady, Big Ben, etc. they are just starting those careers cd.
Theres a new era taking over in the NFL. The old is about done.

And as for Seattle? They are still a contender cd. Heck they could win it all next year, we don't know that.
They still have RW along with a good defense.

No team wins the SB year after year, no team! But as long as you have great QB play along with a solid team around that QB you will always have a chance. It don't even have to be a great team around that QB just a solid one and you have a chance.. That cap puts all teams on the same level, it's just the teams with the great QB always comes out on top. Unless you build an all time great defense, and those come around every 10 years or so..

You are misunderstanding the 2-year window. I said the window is easier now because some of the players are still on cheap contracts. You get that when Russell Wilson was on a deal paying him less than $1 million it was easier to pay other guys right? Now that he is making over $20 million a year that is $20 million that used to be available to add talent ot the team around him. Same with the Raiders as they add more contracts that pay top dollar the money for other players to sign gets more difficult. So now signing guys like Penn, Osomele, Hudson, Sean Smith get much more difficult.

And yes the Seahawks have a chance. Again this is about the best chance. The best chance is when you have top tier players on cheap contracts to add talent around them. Teams are figuring out that depth is a huge part of the equation when it comes to winning a Super Bowl and when you cannot add as much depth because of less money to spread around the roster it gets more difficult. Pretty much means you have to hit in the draft over and over again which gets more difficult because your team is winning giving you later draft picks and not as sure fire big time players. Doesn't mean you can't still find talent just means it gets tougher.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to recommend some articles for you to read here Idaho to understand that 3-4 DE is not like that of a 4-3 DE. Teams that play a 4-3 usually like their DE's in that 260-275 lbs. range and ability to bend around the edge to get after the QB. 3-4 DE's they like them in that 290-300 lb. range because they want them to hold up in the run game and take on double teams if need be. 3-4 DE's usually shadow more inside where a 4-3 DE plays usually on the outside shoulder of at least the OT or the TE if they have one to that side. Again very different skill sets and why you cannot try and compare JJ Watt and what he is asked to do and that of Mack and what the Raiders ask him to do.

2) Yes some of the issue was throwing at our LB's but you do realize that just because some of the LB's struggled in coverage that doesn't mean all of them did right? I mean that would be like me saying that Mack was terrible because well the Raiders defense was a bottom-10 unit this past year. One does not equal the other. Same with Miller and in coverage and against the run. Von graded out as the best run stopping OLB in all of football this past year. What was happening is teams were running away from him because the other side was weak. Why attack the strength of a defense when you can attack the weakness?

As for the Super Bowl run please don't tell me you are trying to downplay the role Von Miller had in winning us a Super Bowl. I'm not sure I can even try to respond to that because it is ridiculous. The Broncos won a Super Bowl going against 3 of the top-5 offenses in football that season in the Steelers, Patriots, and Panthers. The Panthers had just torn through the Cardinals and Seahawks who both had top-7 defenses like they didn't even exist. Those "terrible" WR's destroyed some good secondaries before they got to the Broncos. So don't sit here and try to downplay the Broncos winning a Super Bowl.
You really should run for some type of office cd, a lot misdirection man, lol
Dude, none of that 3-4 OR 4-3 matters. Players play what they play and they get ranked by their play not if this guy is a 3-4 or a 4-3. It's about who is the better player. Mack won the DPOY so they clearly think Mack was the better player last year. Im talking about overall player not OLBs, MLBs, 3-4 or 4-3 or whatever.
You want to break this down by position and im talking as a whole. It's not the same thing.

The secret was out on how to beat the Bronco defense. Throw at the LBs right? And is Miller a LB? Yes he is.
And this brings up another point? The overall NFLN rank of the LBs? Take Miller and Mack out and we both ranked way lower.. As you just said, they went away from Miller cuz the other side was weak..

Im not down playing the SB win or Millers play.. Im saying a player like him had it easy cuz Cam had to hold the ball.. LockDown secondary dude..

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are misunderstanding the 2-year window. I said the window is easier now because some of the players are still on cheap contracts. You get that when Russell Wilson was on a deal paying him less than $1 million it was easier to pay other guys right? Now that he is making over $20 million a year that is $20 million that used to be available to add talent ot the team around him. Same with the Raiders as they add more contracts that pay top dollar the money for other players to sign gets more difficult. So now signing guys like Penn, Osomele, Hudson, Sean Smith get much more difficult.

And yes the Seahawks have a chance. Again this is about the best chance. The best chance is when you have top tier players on cheap contracts to add talent around them. Teams are figuring out that depth is a huge part of the equation when it comes to winning a Super Bowl and when you cannot add as much depth because of less money to spread around the roster it gets more difficult. Pretty much means you have to hit in the draft over and over again which gets more difficult because your team is winning giving you later draft picks and not as sure fire big time players. Doesn't mean you can't still find talent just means it gets tougher.
I understand that dude. But even with the RW and all those big contracts on the defensive side of the ball for Seattle, they are still a threat to win the SB. Then you have a good GM from the same tree Reggie came from on that team. They lose players and they find other ones to replace the ones they lose..
The key to everything is drafting.

We won't be signing players like those again, well maybe a few here and there, but more like the class we just got. Newhouse, Cook, Patterson, etc.
And Reggie is building a foundation of young players to replace the ones we lose.. We have young guys that could step right into our OL and play at a high level.. Those super young players already seen time last year..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really should run for some type of office cd, a lot misdirection man, lol
Dude, none of that 3-4 OR 4-3 matters. Players play what they play and they get ranked by their play not if this guy is a 3-4 or a 4-3. It's about who is the better player. Mack won the DPOY so they clearly think Mack was the better player last year. Im talking about overall player not OLBs, MLBs, 3-4 or 4-3 or whatever.
You want to break this down by position and im talking as a whole. It's not the same thing.

The secret was out on how to beat the Bronco defense. Throw at the LBs right? And is Miller a LB? Yes he is.
And this brings up another point? The overall NFLN rank of the LBs? Take Miller and Mack out and we both ranked way lower.. As you just said, they went away from Miller cuz the other side was weak..

Im not down playing the SB win or Millers play.. Im saying a player like him had it easy cuz Cam had to hold the ball.. LockDown secondary dude..

You realize that the plays in the Super Bowl were not coverage sacks though right? Those were plays where he beat his man from the very beginning and went and made the play. The secondary yes did their job but if you are getting to the QB in under 3 seconds that has very little to do with the secondary and much more to do with winning your job. He did the same thing against the Patriots who had Gronk, Edelman, and others to throw to. He did it against the Steelers who have maybe the best WR in the game in AB. So not like this was just a one time occurrence. This was an every game of the playoff run occurrence.

And as for the AP group voting him DPOY again that is one voting unit. NFL.com just came out with an article talking about MVP's that won that shouldn't have won because somebody had a better season. Just like we can't take the NFL top-100 as this is the end all be all. It is part of the proecess.

And that secret changes man on how to beat the Broncos. They added some major beef to the DL to help in the run defense and our ILB's that were the ones actually getting beat in coverage are actually healthy right now compared to last year. We had back ups playing for part of the season. Amazing what a starting player can do to improve a unit. We just didn't have the depth of the year before on defense to weather the offense struggling. That was a huge focus of this offseason was to improve the depth and get back to the 2015 level of play on defense with hopefully an improving offense.

And you can't say that you are not downplaying what a player did and then turn around and say he had it easy. Sorry that doesn't exactly work together. Either he had it easy and made him look better or he just played that well compared to any other player that played the Panthers that year. I mean they had those WR's all year and were the highest scoring offense in the NFL yet somehow they get to the Super Bowl and they are terrible? I'm sorry but they earned that 15-1 record and had blown out some really good teams in the playoffs up to that point.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that dude. But even with the RW and all those big contracts on the defensive side of the ball for Seattle, they are still a threat to win the SB. Then you have a good GM from the same tree Reggie came from on that team. They lose players and they find other ones to replace the ones they lose..
The key to everything is drafting.

We won't be signing players like those again, well maybe a few here and there, but more like the class we just got. Newhouse, Cook, Patterson, etc.
And Reggie is building a foundation of young players to replace the ones we lose.. We have young guys that could step right into our OL and play at a high level.. Those super young players already seen time last year..

You are just not getting this Idaho. I never said the window completely closes. I said it is harder once those big contracts get put on the pay roll. This is simple math. Less money to build depth means it is tougher to build depth. If I have $20,000 to go and get supplies for a party. It is easier than say if I have $5,000 to try and plan the same party. I have to get creative in how I use my money and maybe cut corners elsewhere to try and put out the same product. It is the same in the NFL. That is why other than with Manning at the helm or Brady at the helm the other Super Bowl winners over the last 15 or so years have been guys on prove it contracts at the QB position or rookie contracts that became stars during the process. Big Ben, Flacco, Wilson, and even Rodgers while they have all produced great teams have struggled to fully get over the top once their big deals were signed. Doesn't mean they don't have a chance but the numbers always point to things being much more difficult after.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize that the plays in the Super Bowl were not coverage sacks though right? Those were plays where he beat his man from the very beginning and went and made the play. The secondary yes did their job but if you are getting to the QB in under 3 seconds that has very little to do with the secondary and much more to do with winning your job. He did the same thing against the Patriots who had Gronk, Edelman, and others to throw to. He did it against the Steelers who have maybe the best WR in the game in AB. So not like this was just a one time occurrence. This was an every game of the playoff run occurrence.

And as for the AP group voting him DPOY again that is one voting unit. NFL.com just came out with an article talking about MVP's that won that shouldn't have won because somebody had a better season. Just like we can't take the NFL top-100 as this is the end all be all. It is part of the proecess.

And that secret changes man on how to beat the Broncos. They added some major beef to the DL to help in the run defense and our ILB's that were the ones actually getting beat in coverage are actually healthy right now compared to last year. We had back ups playing for part of the season. Amazing what a starting player can do to improve a unit. We just didn't have the depth of the year before on defense to weather the offense struggling. That was a huge focus of this offseason was to improve the depth and get back to the 2015 level of play on defense with hopefully an improving offense.

And you can't say that you are not downplaying what a player did and then turn around and say he had it easy. Sorry that doesn't exactly work together. Either he had it easy and made him look better or he just played that well compared to any other player that played the Panthers that year. I mean they had those WR's all year and were the highest scoring offense in the NFL yet somehow they get to the Super Bowl and they are terrible? I'm sorry but they earned that 15-1 record and had blown out some really good teams in the playoffs up to that point.
Some of those were coverage sacks cd. And yes Miller did beat his man at times..Again that was one of those great defenses. Cam had no chance against that defense, because he had no WRs to challenge the secondary.
Heck i went to the main board and said Cam had no chance for that reason. The Bronco front 7 feasted!

And yes everybody will come out with some type of rank of who is the better players. Shoot, im sure you have a list. There's only one that counts and that's the legit one. Mack was a beast on a very good young team.
A total IMPACT player.

And all teams added to rosters this year. But we are talking about last year and how teams beat the Bronco defense by going at Miller and the LBs. Elway knew this and added to his DL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of those were coverage sacks cd. And yes Miller did beat his man at times..Again that was one of those great defenses. Cam had no chance against that defense, because he had no WRs to challenge the secondary.
Heck i went to the main board and said Cam had no chance for that reason. The Bronco front 7 feasted!

And yes everybody will come out with some type of rank of who is the better players. Shoot, im sure you have a list. There's only one that counts and that's the legit one. Mack was a beast on a very good young team.
A total IMPACT player.

And all teams added to rosters this year. But we are talking about last year and how teams beat the Bronco defense by going at Miller and the LBs. Elway knew this and added to his DL.

They didn't go at Miller though. Again in the run defense why go after the best OLB in football against the run. They went to the other side. Same in the passing game of when Miller drops back into coverage why challenge him when you could challenge one of the back up ILB's that are trying to cover a RB out in the flat? Just because the unit struggled doesn't mean one player struggled.

As for the Super Bowl I think I'm done with that conversation. IF you think those were coverage sacks then I recommend you go watch those playoffs again and just see how often Von beat his guy. It is why teams were jumping offsides like crazy because the RT was so freaked out about Von beating him around the edge. That had very little to do with coverage and all to do with how Von is the best around the edge OLB in football right now.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are just not getting this Idaho. I never said the window completely closes. I said it is harder once those big contracts get put on the pay roll. This is simple math. Less money to build depth means it is tougher to build depth. If I have $20,000 to go and get supplies for a party. It is easier than say if I have $5,000 to try and plan the same party. I have to get creative in how I use my money and maybe cut corners elsewhere to try and put out the same product. It is the same in the NFL. That is why other than with Manning at the helm or Brady at the helm the other Super Bowl winners over the last 15 or so years have been guys on prove it contracts at the QB position or rookie contracts that became stars during the process. Big Ben, Flacco, Wilson, and even Rodgers while they have all produced great teams have struggled to fully get over the top once their big deals were signed. Doesn't mean they don't have a chance but the numbers always point to things being much more difficult after.
Then why bring up the 2 year window to begin with? If you don't mean what you are saying by the 2 year window then why even bring it up?

See you are trying to say the RAIDERS will only have two years to win then the big contracts all kick in and we won't be able to get players anymore, thus be a losing team.
What im saying is, as long as you have a top shelf QB along with a solid team around him you will always have a chance.. 7 years from now if Carr is still on top of his game we will have a chance to win the SB.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't go at Miller though. Again in the run defense why go after the best OLB in football against the run. They went to the other side. Same in the passing game of when Miller drops back into coverage why challenge him when you could challenge one of the back up ILB's that are trying to cover a RB out in the flat? Just because the unit struggled doesn't mean one player struggled.

As for the Super Bowl I think I'm done with that conversation. IF you think those were coverage sacks then I recommend you go watch those playoffs again and just see how often Von beat his guy. It is why teams were jumping offsides like crazy because the RT was so freaked out about Von beating him around the edge. That had very little to do with coverage and all to do with how Von is the best around the edge OLB in football right now.
The first part of your post made my point about how NFLN ranked our LBs core.

And the second part of the post made it as well..

You say Miller is the best OLB edge rusher in the game, and i say Mack is the best all around defensive player in the game.. More bang for the buck dude.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why bring up the 2 year window to begin with? If you don't mean what you are saying by the 2 year window then why even bring it up?

See you are trying to say the RAIDERS will only have two years to win then the big contracts all kick in and we won't be able to get players anymore, thus be a losing team.
What im saying is, as long as you have a top shelf QB along with a solid team around him you will always have a chance.. 7 years from now if Carr is still on top of his game we will have a chance to win the SB.

No again you are not understanding what I'm saying...

1) I say they have a 2-year window because after 2 years good chance Cooper and Mack will both be up for contracts. Most likely the two of them combined will be between $40-50 million of cap room per year. Right now the two of them combined equal about $12 million per year. So you are talking about $30+ in less cap room to work with on a year to year basis. So that would be Osemele, Penn, and Sean Smith gone from the team in ability to sign during FA. That is a lot of talent out the window. Doesn't mean you can't find players to play and do well but it means you either have to take a chance on very injured FA's, low cost but possibly high reward FA's, or hope you hit in the draft. Penn, Osemele, and Sean Smith were all high end players when the Raiders signed them. You had a decent idea what you were getting out of them before they stepped on the field for the Raiders.

2) So if having Cooper and Mack on the books on top of Carr and Jackson takes away from the overall cap space available the ability to win the Super Bowl becomes more difficult. That is just simple math. It means you have to find talent in other ways other than just spending big time money in FA to fill holes. Again teams can do that but it gets more difficult. Again that is why Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson have struggled to win a Super Bowl after getting their big contracts. They don't have the depth of talent aroudn them. They are still winning organizations but Super Bowl champs well that hasn't happened. Big difference between being a winning team and winning the Super Bowl. Every year about half the league have winning seasons. Only 1 is named Champion.

So that is why I say the window for winning a Super Bowl is 2-years before it gets much more difficult.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first part of your post made my point about how NFLN ranked our LBs core.

And the second part of the post made it as well..

You say Miller is the best OLB edge rusher in the game, and i say Mack is the best all around defensive player in the game.. More bang for the buck dude.

Not even going to argue anymore man. We are just going around in circles.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No again you are not understanding what I'm saying...

1) I say they have a 2-year window because after 2 years good chance Cooper and Mack will both be up for contracts. Most likely the two of them combined will be between $40-50 million of cap room per year. Right now the two of them combined equal about $12 million per year. So you are talking about $30+ in less cap room to work with on a year to year basis. So that would be Osemele, Penn, and Sean Smith gone from the team in ability to sign during FA. That is a lot of talent out the window. Doesn't mean you can't find players to play and do well but it means you either have to take a chance on very injured FA's, low cost but possibly high reward FA's, or hope you hit in the draft. Penn, Osemele, and Sean Smith were all high end players when the Raiders signed them. You had a decent idea what you were getting out of them before they stepped on the field for the Raiders.

2) So if having Cooper and Mack on the books on top of Carr and Jackson takes away from the overall cap space available the ability to win the Super Bowl becomes more difficult. That is just simple math. It means you have to find talent in other ways other than just spending big time money in FA to fill holes. Again teams can do that but it gets more difficult. Again that is why Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson have struggled to win a Super Bowl after getting their big contracts. They don't have the depth of talent aroudn them. They are still winning organizations but Super Bowl champs well that hasn't happened. Big difference between being a winning team and winning the Super Bowl. Every year about half the league have winning seasons. Only 1 is named Champion.

So that is why I say the window for winning a Super Bowl is 2-years before it gets much more difficult.
I told ya i get all that. And i know it gets harder to win a SB, nobody wins them all.
The key word there is harder but it could still be done as long as you have great QB play. Then you add game breakers like Coop and Mack with solid OL play to that QB you will always be a threat.
You win 3 SBs in a 12 -15 year career that's HOF awesome..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told ya i get all that. And i know it gets harder to win a SB, nobody wins them all.
The key word there is harder but it could still be done as long as you have great QB play. Then you add game breakers like Coop and Mack with solid OL play to that QB you will always be a threat.
You win 3 SBs in a 12 -15 year career that's HOF awesome..

Agreed that is an awesome career that any player should hope for. We will just see if Carr can even win one though before we start talking HOF career here. HE is a great player and should have the Raiders competitive every year he is healthy. The Raiders have some great players not trying to take away from that. I'm just a numbers guy that has seen the type of structure that most teams who have won the Super Bowl have had. There are exceptions to the rule of course but for the most part if the Raiders want their best chance they need to do it in the next 2. Like I said it gets very difficult after that with how the roster most likely would be structured. I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 teams that have won it since the Salary Cap came into play that were able to do it with so many big contracts at the top of the Salary Cap for the team.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm relaxed. I just don't see the point in continuing the conversation.
Im afraid this a debate that will rage for a looong time between RAIDER and Bronco fans.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that is an awesome career that any player should hope for. We will just see if Carr can even win one though before we start talking HOF career here. HE is a great player and should have the Raiders competitive every year he is healthy. The Raiders have some great players not trying to take away from that. I'm just a numbers guy that has seen the type of structure that most teams who have won the Super Bowl have had. There are exceptions to the rule of course but for the most part if the Raiders want their best chance they need to do it in the next 2. Like I said it gets very difficult after that with how the roster most likely would be structured. I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 teams that have won it since the Salary Cap came into play that were able to do it with so many big contracts at the top of the Salary Cap for the team.
Im not putting Carr in the HOF. All im saying is, if you have great QB play with a solid team around said QB you will have a chance to win it all.. And that goes for every team in the league not just the RAIDERS.

And numbers guy should know,if something can be done once, it could be done again and again and yet again.
Besides players salary's are going up every year. Every team has to pay if you want top talent! Heck even the Pats paid a lot of money this offseason for younger talent..

Then you talk about depth issues when teams keep their top talent for big money. Eh, that's what the draft is for, as well as signing good Vets for CHEAP that have a year or two of good ball left in them and want a SB. Shoot, that's been one of the Pats formula to keeping the team good for this long.
If you have a franchise QB that window is open till his playing days are over.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not putting Carr in the HOF. All im saying is, if you have great QB play with a solid team around said QB you will have a chance to win it all.. And that goes for every team in the league not just the RAIDERS.

And numbers guy should know,if something can be done once, it could be done again and again and yet again.
Besides players salary's are going up every year. Every team has to pay if you want top talent! Heck even the Pats paid a lot of money this offseason for younger talent..

Then you talk about depth issues when teams keep their top talent for big money. Eh, that's what the draft is for, as well as signing good Vets for CHEAP that have a year or two of good ball left in them and want a SB. Shoot, that's been one of the Pats formula to keeping the team good for this long.

Again I'm not arguing that the Raiders can or can't stay competitive once this 2-year window closes. It just gets harder. And yes because something has happened before it can happen again. The odds though play in the favor of teams that have a cheap QB and are able to build around them unless they have a HOF QB that is willing to take a pay cut. Tom Brady on the years he has won the Super Bowl have all but 1 had him under 10% of the cap for his team. Most years it has been under 6% of the cap. Their 10 year drought from winning were years with him making more than 10% of the cap. All of a sudden he takes a bigger pay cut and boom they win 2 of 3 Super Bowls with the other being in the AFC Championship. Now yes they were still competitive during that 10-year drought making it all but 1 of those years to the playoffs but the odds of them going the whole way were hurt. That is all I'm saying.

Heck for Manning with the Broncos. His final year he took a $4 million pay cut to help the team out getting him under 10% of the cap. And boom they go out and win that Super Bowl. Now $4 million doesn't sound like much but it was the cost of getting the starting LG for the team and him being our best OL of the year. Or you could look at it as helping to get a guy like Darian Stewart who has turned into a premier FS in the league finishing top-10 of all safeties in 2015. Those little savings add up big time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yes the draft is supposed to help with depth. Not every draft is going to be good though. You have a couple of bad drafts in a row and boom your team is hurting big time. Even the best drafting teams have had bad drafts. Baltimore was known for great drafting but the last few years have been terrible for them. Seattle was known for great drafting but again the last few years have not treated them well. So the draft even for the best teams is not a consistent source. So when you have the ability to counter a bad draft with a good FA period then it helps to keep your team on top. You can have more eggs in more baskets to equal success.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I'm not arguing that the Raiders can or can't stay competitive once this 2-year window closes. It just gets harder. And yes because something has happened before it can happen again. The odds though play in the favor of teams that have a cheap QB and are able to build around them unless they have a HOF QB that is willing to take a pay cut. Tom Brady on the years he has won the Super Bowl have all but 1 had him under 10% of the cap for his team. Most years it has been under 6% of the cap. Their 10 year drought from winning were years with him making more than 10% of the cap. All of a sudden he takes a bigger pay cut and boom they win 2 of 3 Super Bowls with the other being in the AFC Championship. Now yes they were still competitive during that 10-year drought making it all but 1 of those years to the playoffs but the odds of them going the whole way were hurt. That is all I'm saying.

Heck for Manning with the Broncos. His final year he took a $4 million pay cut to help the team out getting him under 10% of the cap. And boom they go out and win that Super Bowl. Now $4 million doesn't sound like much but it was the cost of getting the starting LG for the team and him being our best OL of the year. Or you could look at it as helping to get a guy like Darian Stewart who has turned into a premier FS in the league finishing top-10 of all safeties in 2015. Those little savings add up big time.
All the teams that have really good young QBs along with good offensive and defensive young talent will be coming up for contracts. And they will all get paid more than what RAIDER players are getting now. So i mean we all in the same boat as far as the money numbers go in the near future, unless you think the Bucs, Titans, Texans, etc will win the SB here in the next few seasons?

And i see you always throw out Brady for taking less? Wasn't he at one time the highest paid or near the top of NFL salary's?? Brady is in the game for legacy now, he made his NFL money already, he want's rings!
Carr and all the young talent are coming up for first time contracts and want to get paid as they should. When Carr's contract is up he too will take less for rings..

The RAIDERS core OL is all signed for years cd, not just the next two years.. The DL, secondary, WRs other than Crabs are all young. Reggie is always stocking the roster with young talent with young players ready to step in.
Watson who you guys picked up wanted more than what Reggie was willing to pay. And he has young players ready to step in that have more than 2 years on those contracts..

cd i read somewhere that Lynch was looking good for you guys? Let's say he becomes the franchise QB you guys drafted him to be? By the time his contract is up, his will make Carr's look like a steal, and i mean steal.So will you be arguing that you guys only have a 2 year window like you are against the RAIDERS?