• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors here on the east coast are saying the Dodgers have offered Lester $150MM for 6 years.

Before that rumor hit, Lester said he'd make his decision by the weekend. If the rumor is accurate, how many Teams did the Dodgers just kill?? SF? Boston? Chicago? NY Yanks?

You got the "Fat Man" and "Han Ram" - no way the Red Sox can be "killed."

In regards to Han Ram, is the American League allowing two DHs next season?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers and Padres continue to talk about a possible Matt Kemp trade.
It doesn't sound like anything is close, as Rosenthal notes that the Dodgers are talking to other teams and a deal with the Padres isn't necessarily more likely than with others. However, it's believed that Yasmani Grandal would likely be part of the return package for Los Angeles and San Diego would receive money in the deal. The Orioles and Mariners are among the other teams who have expressed interest in a trade for Kemp. Dec 4 - 5:32 PM

Mvpuig- you might get your Grandal Xmas wish! I'd love to put against Matt Kemp 16-18 times a year with all of his Ks.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boston sports shows are all buzzing about the Dodgers stepping into the Lester foray. They're saying if the Dodgers are truly in it, money will be not object. They started 2014 with a $230M payroll and adding few bucks wouldn't faze them. If the Dodger offer reported is true it's another $25M a year.

What the 'experts' here in Boston were thinking is that Theo Epstein of the Cubs will make a $160M offer and basically, the Red Sox will drop out. For some reason, they think the Giants may be the silent killer and will pony up $175M at the last minute.

With the numbers being discussed, can anyone really justify paying a major league pitcher who may get 30 starts, somewhere between $835,00 - $925,000 for every game he starts?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boston sports shows are all buzzing about the Dodgers stepping into the Lester foray. They're saying if the Dodgers are truly in it, money will be not object. They started 2014 with a $230M payroll and adding few bucks wouldn't faze them. If the Dodger offer reported is true it's another $25M a year.

What the 'experts' here in Boston were thinking is that Theo Epstein of the Cubs will make a $160M offer and basically, the Red Sox will drop out. For some reason, they think the Giants may be the silent killer and will pony up $175M at the last minute.

With the numbers being discussed, can anyone really justify paying a major league pitcher who may get 30 starts, somewhere between $835,00 - $925,000 for every game he starts?

The Dodgers are just driving up the Giants price. They are not a viable landing spot for Lester. Furthermore, they circulated a rumor that they are shopping Greinke just to make it sound more believable that they may be after Lester. It's a great bluff to place salary pressure on their rivals.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who says they aren't a viable landing spot? I think they're right in the middle of the race.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who says they aren't a viable landing spot? I think they're right in the middle of the race.

I think there are a few reasons.... First, Lesters age really pushes the Kasten belief to avoid signing long term deals on aging players. If it's a six year deal floating around, I don't think Kasten will approve it. All big signings go through him. Secondly, the Dodgers are trying to shed some payroll (shopping Ethier, Crawford and Kemp - maybe as many as two outfielders). Indications are they would have to eat dough on any trade involving one of those players to make a deal happen, and any kind of deal is a long shot as teams know they are desperate to move high price outfielders. The Dodgers psyroll will not remain at excessive levels as Kasten has said as much noting the building process of the farm system. Finally, the Dodgers have a strong three man rotation. They need a backend guy to bolster the rotation. I see a trade for a fourth or fifth starter.

Regardless, a great move in this bluff. It's clever, shrewd and hopefully thwarts the Giants!

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they also lost Hanley off the payroll

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Ethier, FedEx and cash for Montero deal would have been nice. If they can't sign a reliever to a good deal then why not take a serious run at Lester instead?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Ethier, FedEx and cash for Montero deal would have been nice. If they can't sign a reliever to a good deal then why not take a serious run at Lester instead?

A shame that Ethier deal fell through, Dbscks brass knew they would be stupid to get saddled with a portion of Ethiers contract. Would have been a coup for us.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would have been a great trade damnit DBags

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Kemp for Grandal and another player, would you guys do it? I personally wouldn't unless the Pads are willing to take Kemp's full contract. I don't see Grandal as a huge enough upgrade over Ellis. Would prefer to get rid of Ethier or Crawford, ideally both, before trading Kemp.

DodgerLou80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers will be making a big mistake if they trade Kemp to the Padres. If they want to trade him, make sure its not in the same division. I really don't understand why they want to get rid of him, but then again, i'm not the GM. He will really hurt them if he goes to the Padres.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers will be making a big mistake if they trade Kemp to the Padres. If they want to trade him, make sure its not in the same division. I really don't understand why they want to get rid of him, but then again, i'm not the GM. He will really hurt them if he goes to the Padres.

The Padres don't spend that much as it is and if they were to pay Kemp 20 million per year until 2020 then I'd say that works to our advantage. Ned made some good deals but he also made a lot of bad ones that bloated the Dodgers salary, I have faith that this front office will overcome the Brandon League type of deals with time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres don't spend that much as it is and if they were to pay Kemp 20 million per year until 2020 then I'd say that works to our advantage. Ned made some good deals but he also made a lot of bad ones that bloated the Dodgers salary, I have faith that this front office will overcome the Brandon League type of deals with time.

The Pads actually had a 90M payroll in 2014. They have been turning around the payroll story there for a few years now.

20M a year for a single player would still be a hit, but it isn't like the Pads are still a 30-40M team.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pads actually had a 90M payroll in 2014. They have been turning around the payroll story there for a few years now.

20M a year for a single player would still be a hit, but it isn't like the Pads are still a 30-40M team.

2020 is a long time, I see where you're coming from but 90 mil is still nothing compared to the Dodgers 238 mil and they're only paying Puig 6 mil a year. With Puig and potentially Pederson at such a bargain, there's no reason why the Dodgers shouldn't have the talent to make it out of the first round.

Last edited by a moderator:

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants and Dodgers (if they were ever in) out on Lester...

down to Cubs and RedSox

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants and Dodgers (if they were ever in) out on Lester...

down to Cubs and RedSox

Giants were all in and I know the Dodgers leaked they were in but never really were. No agent is going to deny a Dodger faux leak because they can use that to drive the price up. Good for the Dodgers! If we have to pay a premium, make everyone pay a premium!

And you're welcome for telling you all the real scoop.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants were all in and I know the Dodgers leaked they were in but never really were. No agent is going to deny a Dodger faux leak because they can use that to drive the price up. Good for the Dodgers! If we have to pay a premium, make everyone pay a premium!

And you're welcome for telling you all the real scoop.

Link?