• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OBP vs BA

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here comes the big debate... the previous were just warmups for this one...

Again, 5X5 categories... all other categories are standard...

I have came to the conclusion that BA is the FAR superior Fantasy stat... and here is why I like BA more than OBP.

First off, the biggest reason people prefer OBP over BA is because OBP includes BB and for that reason it is a better stat to judge who the better player is... I don't disagree with that at all... But what Pro OBP people don't realize is that we already do include BB in fantasy categories... and that is with Runs... Runs has a direct correlation with OBP, the more you are on base the more you CAN score... So there really is no NEED for the more encompassing stat, since the other categories already take it into account...

My biggest problem with OBP, is that the since it is a better indicator to who the better player is, the list mirrors the lists of the other categories to closely... It almost takes away the whole purpose of categories, or at least the way I like to think of categories...

It is true that Non power hitters can have better OBP than power hitters, but it minimizes the window such that you are MORE willing to take the power guy over the non power guy with the better OBP, and also there is less of penalty to own some Power players...

Again, I like my categories to be independent of each other as much as possible, and I dislike when a specific style of player is benefited too much from multiple categories, while others are not...

What I also like with my categories is strategy for drafting... With OBP, that minimizes the strategy on draft day since it is near impossible to do well in that category if you don't have a good Power team, with BA it may be a valid strategy to go elsewhere than power, and that wont hurt your chances to WIN the BA category... Especially as the season progresses, just try to improve your OBP, if you don't have good Power... It is much harder to do...

BA just brings more strategy into the game, because there are many deemed fantasy unworthy that can help you in this category... And it is nice to bring a hole other talent pool into being valuable...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everything. I might have been on the OBP train last year, but I no longer feel that way for reasons you've mentioned.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everything. I might have been on the OBP train last year, but I no longer feel that way for reasons you've mentioned.

Yea, I too voted for OBP for MBBRL last season... I regret it now and hope we go back to BA...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be very disappointed if BA is a category.

Almost as disappointed as hearing a league is on Yahoo.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be very disappointed if BA is a category.

Almost as disappointed as hearing a league is on Yahoo.

Smitty, why you so against BA?? Do you not see why it is superior??

and yes that was a little jab to get this thread going!!!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes value away from players like Votto and Dozier and adds it to players like Torii Hunter, Cespedes and Ian Kinsler. And IMO fantasy value should mirror actual value whenever possible.

I don't understand the desire to limit value when the option is there to include it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how it's better for strategy in any way. Unless the strategy is to draft free swingers, which shouldn't be a strategy.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes value away from players like Votto and Dozier and adds it to players like Torii Hunter, Cespedes and Ian Kinsler. And IMO fantasy value should mirror actual value whenever possible.

I don't understand the desire to limit value when the option is there to include it.

just like how there is not one perfect stat and the more stats you use the better the analysis, some of that logic is true for fantasy categories... It is not about any one category, it is about how all the categories compliment each other...

we are not limiting anything, we are just using each category to its fullest with BA... If each category mirrors each other, then why do categories in the first place...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how it's better for strategy in any way. Unless the strategy is to draft free swingers, which shouldn't be a strategy.

Again, try to compete in OBP without competing in HRs... its very difficult...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's very limiting. Guys who take walks on a regular basis are limited with no scoring for their style of play. Unless someone drives them in. I don't see how walks mirror runs anymore than slap hit singles mirror RBI.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't try and compete in HRs, you aren't going to compete. Its the dominant category. RBI and Runs both are added by atleast one with every homer.

This is why I don't understand the seperation of cats angle. Two of the Five are directly tied to one.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's very limiting. Guys who take walks on a regular basis are limited with no scoring for their style of play. Unless someone drives them in. I don't see how walks mirror runs anymore than slap hit singles mirror RBI.

I agree, that that is a flaw... But just because it is a flaw does not mean the alternative is better...

think about it this way, what is easier: to form a team with HR and OBP or to form a team with HR and BA??

The answer is HR and OBP, what that means, is just by making the stat OBP it gives teams based with power an overwhelming advantage... By making it BA, balancing power with BA takes much more skill, and allows a weak power team to have a chance to win a category besides SB...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't try and compete in HRs, you aren't going to compete. Its the dominant category. RBI and Runs both are added by atleast one with every homer.

This is why I don't understand the seperation of cats angle. Two of the Five are directly tied to one.

But why give the power an advantage in 4 of the 5 categories??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we aren't giving lesser players false value.

We could get rid of HRs. (Which I don't want to do).
but it is not false value, it is just value of a specific aspect of the game...