• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OBP VS BA

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm.... Yeah! Max didn't exactly NEED to be stacking his team anymore than he already has. I was in shock! (Im giving you the stink eye right now Johnny.)

I'm not one to tell how to run a team, I'm simply the commish. I was just shocked at what the deal was. But I digress....

OBP is better than BA in roto IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Dozier has 6 homers. And 8 frickin RBI. (Shock and awe everywhere)

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or do any of you get the feeling like we're missing out on doubles? Triples are one thing, they're kind of fluky (for the most part), and rare, so I understand not having that as a cat, but doubles are a big difference maker, are they not? I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking, but the more I do think about it, it makes me think how terrible 5x5 cats are. It's just not enough, no matter which way you slice it. Two guys go 2-4, one with two doubles, one with two singles; I think the doubler should gain the advantage. (maybe OPS would handle this as well) -- I would think one of these two options are the best way to handle a H2H category league.

R, HR, SB, RBI, OBP, 2B x W, SV, QS, K, ERA, WHIP

R, HR, SB, RBI, AVG, OPS x W, SV, QS, K, ERA, WHIP

this is why I think points leagues are better... it's so easy to account for everything.. all you have to do is get the points values right.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 5X5 is definitely limiting. To me, the more categories, the better. But I also like free. (No negs for Ks and CS changes values a great deal as well.)

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My points league, that's it... except a walk is .5 -- and that's why points leagues rule the universe! Everything is accounted for in points leagues. Hits, walks, strikeouts, quality starts... etc. Should be the norm, IMO.

In a points league wouldn't it make more sense for walks and singles to be closer to the same value. The only difference in the two is the ability to advance runners and generate RBIs. But...in a points league if you get a single that drives in runs you will get points for RBIs. So, essentially the only difference is that a single can move a runner from first to third or second to third, no?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or do any of you get the feeling like we're missing out on doubles? Triples are one thing, they're kind of fluky (for the most part), and rare, so I understand not having that as a cat, but doubles are a big difference maker, are they not? I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking, but the more I do think about it, it makes me think how terrible 5x5 cats are. It's just not enough, no matter which way you slice it. Two guys go 2-4, one with two doubles, one with two singles; I think the doubler should gain the advantage. (maybe OPS would handle this as well) -- I would think one of these two options are the best way to handle a H2H category league.

R, HR, SB, RBI, OBP, 2B x W, SV, QS, K, ERA, WHIP

R, HR, SB, RBI, AVG, OPS x W, SV, QS, K, ERA, WHIP

this is why I think points leagues are better... it's so easy to account for everything.. all you have to do is get the points values right.

My take on category leagues(rotisserie and H2H), the categories measure the most important aspects of the game for a player...

offense:

BA or OBP(i prefer BA but they really do the same)- measures how often you get on base or how often you get a hit

HRs- Most important and best hit in the game

Runs and RBIs- this is what offense is all about

and SB- best statistic for baserunning

that is the 5 most important aspects in offense

Doubles are the 3rd best hit in the game, why should they get recognition while triples dont...

And you cant use OPS if you already have BA or OBP and HRs... that is just redundant

all categories should stand alone and should not be dependent on another category

Also, RBIs and HRs already focuses on the importance of OPS...

i wouldnt mind adding categories to 5X5, but i havent seen any that while using the traditional categories make sense...

I agree that points leagues can take into account more aspects of the game, but the problem with points leagues is that you have to find a weight measurement that makes sense(and that is no easy task), most leagues have a terrible weight measurement... the other problem with points leagues is that it doesnt matter how you get the points, which means you dont have to try to make a balanced team at all... you can focus entirely on HRs(which is the king category in those leagues)

Category leagues demand for a balance lineup(speed/power/avg) but measures it in a much more generic way... It is the flaw of category leagues, but i personally would take that flaw over points leagues anyday(unless i find a points system that makes sense)

I have seen leagues attempt to do 6 categories, but once you do that it downgrades the importance of other categories, and that is not a good thing...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on category leagues(rotisserie and H2H), the categories measure the most important aspects of the game for a player...

offense:

BA or OBP(i prefer BA but they really do the same)- measures how often you get on base or how often you get a hit

HRs- Most important and best hit in the game

Runs and RBIs- this is what offense is all about

and SB- best statistic for baserunning

that is the 5 most important aspects in offense

Doubles are the 3rd best hit in the game, why should they get recognition while triples dont...

And you cant use OPS if you already have BA or OBP and HRs... that is just redundant

all categories should stand alone and should not be dependent on another category

Also, RBIs and HRs already focuses on the importance of OPS...

i wouldnt mind adding categories to 5X5, but i havent seen any that while using the traditional categories make sense...

I agree that points leagues can take into account more aspects of the game, but the problem with points leagues is that you have to find a weight measurement that makes sense(and that is no easy task), most leagues have a terrible weight measurement... the other problem with points leagues is that it doesnt matter how you get the points, which means you dont have to try to make a balanced team at all... you can focus entirely on HRs(which is the king category in those leagues)

Category leagues demand for a balance lineup(speed/power/avg) but measures it in a much more generic way... It is the flaw of category leagues, but i personally would take that flaw over points leagues anyday(unless i find a points system that makes sense)

I have seen leagues attempt to do 6 categories, but once you do that it downgrades the importance of other categories, and that is not a good thing...

I agree with most of this....

There is a ton of customization available on Fantrax for free leagues in some areas (lime scoring formats) just not in other administrative areas like scheduling and those annoying illegal roster issues.

I think there are significant limitations to both points leagues and 5 x 5. Maybe with all the great minds here, we could create a format that captures the best of both worlds, one that correctly values players like Matt Carpenter and still requires the delicate balance needed for 5 x 5 success.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Incorporating triples in a categories league is just too "fluky" and rare.. there would be more ties in that cat than any other, IMO. Doubles are much more often, and just add that extra umph over the single.

Lots of cats blend together, you can't say OPS is redundant to AVG, but at the same time say R, HR, RBI don't run together.

And I think the thought of "balance" is over hyped. It's almost silly in H2H, because any given week, your balance can be lopsided. Totally agree in an original rotisserrie, where the balance from the whole season makes sense. And just because a points league doesn't require you to get stolen bases, doesn't mean Ben Revere is useless, and it doesn't mean I'd rather have a 20 HR hitter.

I agree you need good weights for points leagues, but that's not hard to do (IMO).