• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame willing to negotiate the exit of Brian Kelly.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't hear anything in his comments that would lead to your conclusion. what am i missing?
It was just generalizing from his comments on Saturday about him [Brian Kelly] looking at other potential job opportunities.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just saw this. This is very interesting. I think they keep Kelly but might talk him into talking another job so they don't have to pay the whole extension money.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling we are about to lose more recruits.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope if they do it they replace Kelly with a Big name real quick or if they keep kelly they hire a DC real quick.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope if they do it they replace Kelly with a Big name real quick or if they keep kelly they hire a DC real quick.
Well what do you think about Mark Helfrich? He was just fired this morning from Oregon.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND needs to decide rather quick on BK. If recruits are not sure and think he might leave, then they are not going to stick around. If you are going to replace him, take your lumps and see what that new coach can bring to ND in terms of recruits. Getting a new DC would be nice, so maybe the new guy can convince some of these kids to stay. The kids who want to play for ND will still come, those who just want to play football will leave. I want the kids who want to be here and bleed blue&gold....

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Notre Dame will get rid of Kelly this year, not unless he decided to take a different job. He needs to bring in a great DC not hire from within.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Notre Dame will get rid of Kelly this year, not unless he decided to take a different job. He needs to bring in a great DC not hire from within.
I agree, I think ND might try and convince him to take another job but in the end Kelly stays for 1 more year.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly's been "exploring" other job opportunities for the last couple of years whether he'll admit it or not. That is part of the reason why I want him gone. This team has so many glaring coaching deficiencies, and with a lack of commitment from the HC, I don't see any of our problems magically fixing themselves.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear stories like this and I wonder, why are both sides pussy footing around. He doesn't want to be here, and we really don't want him here anymore. Part ways, be professional about it already.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear stories like this and I wonder, why are both sides pussy footing around. He doesn't want to be here, and we really don't want him here anymore. Part ways, be professional about it already.

In Kelly's defense, he's using Notre Dame until he can secure another job. In Notre Dame's defense, they're playing the ugly girlfriend who takes all the usage because she can't find anyone better.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Kelly's defense, he's using Notre Dame until he can secure another job. In Notre Dame's defense, they're playing the ugly girlfriend who takes all the usage because she can't find anyone better.
This could very well be true. Who would really want to coach ND. I mean Meyer who loves ND and called it his dream school turned us down 3 times. Bob Stoops turned us down twice.

The Big time HC dont want anything to do with ND because they know how hard it is and that is why I respect Kelly coming here. He wasnt scared. Overall Kelly did an ok job here but time might be up now. I dont know if he can rebound from this season. I dont see a bright future with this bad D. Like I said this D is at least 2 years away from being ok. Last year was our shot but we got hit hard with injuries on offense and BVG was a bad DC with all that talent he had.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Kelly's defense, he's using Notre Dame until he can secure another job.
That's been obvious since 2012. Its also why his seat should have been a lot warmer before this year. The rationale for letting him muddle along at 8-5 is that the program needs stability and can't keep mis-firing on coaches every 3 years. But if the coach has an ulterior motive of looking to "better deal" himself, that provides no more stability. Also, he knows he can mail it in and probably hit 8-5 most years.

In any event, this should have been a wake up call for the administration. The ND football coaching job is no longer a marquee or "destination" job. Coaches are riding off the ND brand too, to land a better gig somewhere else. Its again, the complete monetization of the program at the expense of results. The school is guilty of it, and now that's probably bleeding into the coaches and even some of the players.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone here remember a couple years ago when i called for kelly's ouster? i took a lot of shit for that.
can you hear me now?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone here remember a couple years ago when i called for kelly's ouster? i took a lot of shit for that.
can you hear me now?
Per my prior posts, I was in the camp that was willing to give him a little bit of leash to turn it around for the sake of some sort of stability. Back to back firings in 3-4 seasons kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth for yet another starting over point. I did have some hope that maybe he'd learn a thing or two from his mistakes.

Yes, he's always done some maddening things on game day that have been present from day one. Yes, he has little to no ability to point the finger at himself. The yelling on the sidelines never bothered me I had coaches that screamed all the live-long day, and a lot of his more public rants were more than justified IMO.

When he made the decision to retain BVG after Stanford last year, that's when he more or less lost me for good. I thought that decision was irredeemably bad. Even at 10-3, that was exactly the kind of decision making that cost win-able games.

There were people calling for his head mid-way through his first season though. Those people doing the chest-beating now are quite annoying. It was un-reasonable to call for his head in 2010 or even 2011 IMO. The rest is just hind-sight. But I'd say if after his Eagles dalliance, people were done with him, I think that is more than reasonable, in light of where we are right now.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can you hear me now?
No because you are wrong. He took us to a NC game and went to Fiesta bowl and beat LSU. So yes u deserve the shit. LOL