• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Northwestern @ Nebraska -- 11am CST on ESPN2

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gona beat this dead horse one more time.

31 more O plays than Cats and 17 minutes more T.O.P. than Cats.

Fhat the wuck?

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't completely blame the coaches. they shoulder some of the burden, but they aren't out there dropping balls. TA was hit and miss and when he hit, our WRs can't go and drop the ball. this game to me was mostly on the offense. DL did go to the inside run way too much and we couldn't block that Lowry guy at all. but i saw some decent runs outside the tackle box and didn't understand why we weren't doing that more.

also, why in the hell don't we dial up more timing routes? those always seem to be something TA hits pretty well. and more crossing routes on the short yardage? I know I'd rather run, but if you are going to throw let's give TA something easy to hit, like the one Reilly scored on, every team that I've ever seen run those types of plays is constantly getting yards.

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game didn't go how we wanted, but what a beautiful day in Lincoln. The 95 team in the Tunnel was really something to see.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone notice Crawford didnt rock his Huskers hat last night? Been kind of a staple of his post match attire.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gona beat this dead horse one more time.

31 more O plays than Cats and 17 minutes more T.O.P. than Cats.

Fhat the wuck?

Play calling balance is perfect. Obvious, passing game rhythm was catywampus. Once Nebraska nails down that passing game rhythm "Huskers fer Champs."

Also, did you see how the passing defense improved, Nebraska pass defense is now 125th!!!

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
72nd in opponents passing rating. Not great, pretty average. The total yds is a bit misleading considering we've faced more pass attempts than anyone in the nation.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
72nd in opponents passing rating. Not great, pretty average. The total yds is a bit misleading considering we've faced more pass attempts than anyone in the nation.

Other coaches thought process, "Nebraska is bad against the pass, so we will pass against them."

Nebraska coaches process, "Their defense is not so good against the run, so we will pass against them." Or, "Their defense is pretty good against the pass, so we will pass against them."

Eventually, I expect to see some backward/lateral passing on a kickoff a return. I don't think we have passed on a punt attempt or a field goal attempt yet. Might as well try that too.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ran the ball on 44% of plays yesterday averaging 2.2 yards. I dont think play calling was the issue yesterday. Bad angles on the 1st big scramble. Obvious hold missed on the second scramble. Tommy going full retard on the pick6. Receivers dropping passes and giving up on routes. D not showing up on the last two drives. I am not one to blame kids for not executing, so its bad preperation.

I also think a lot of these kids don't and will never completely trust these coaches.

Last edited:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't completely blame the coaches. they shoulder some of the burden, but they aren't out there dropping balls. TA was hit and miss and when he hit, our WRs can't go and drop the ball. this game to me was mostly on the offense. DL did go to the inside run way too much and we couldn't block that Lowry guy at all. but i saw some decent runs outside the tackle box and didn't understand why we weren't doing that more.

also, why in the hell don't we dial up more timing routes? those always seem to be something TA hits pretty well. and more crossing routes on the short yardage? I know I'd rather run, but if you are going to throw let's give TA something easy to hit, like the one Reilly scored on, every team that I've ever seen run those types of plays is constantly getting yards.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. We continue to leave a lot of plays on the field with poor passes and dropped balls. The plays are there, they just aren't getting made.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ran the ball on 44% of plays yesterday averaging 2.2 yards. I dont think play calling was the issue yesterday. Bad angles on the 1st big scramble. Obvious hold missed on the second scramble. Tommy going full retard on the pick6. Receivers dropping passes and giving up on routes. D not showing up on the last two drives. I am not one to blame kids for not executing, so its bad preperation.

I also think a lot of these kids don't and will never completely trust these coaches.
On first down, we called 17 running plays. We averaged 2.06 YPC on those plays. 8 of them went for 1 yard or less, and 4 of them lost yards. On the other hand, we passed the ball 14 times for 67 yards (4.79 YPP) with 0 negative plays and 6 incompletions.

But by all means, let's criticize them for not sticking with the run.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
On first down, we called 17 running plays. We averaged 2.06 YPC on those plays. 8 of them went for 1 yard or less, and 4 of them lost yards. On the other hand, we passed the ball 14 times for 67 yards (4.79 YPP) with 0 negative plays and 6 incompletions.

Oak...
We had 22 first downs yesterday. I don't think yer math adds up correctly. There is noway we ran 17 - 1st down plays and passed on 14 - 1st down plays....

I don't know how many times they ran the ball between the tackles, but it felt like it was 30 out of 38 times. I don't consider that a plan for success either.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oak...
We had 22 first downs yesterday. I don't think yer math adds up correctly. There is noway we ran 17 - 1st down plays and passed on 14 - 1st down plays....

I don't know how many times they ran the ball between the tackles, but it felt like it was 30 out of 38 times. I don't consider that a plan for success either.
We gained 22 first downs, we had a 1st and 10 more times than that. 3 and out, getting the ball after scores/half, etc.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL... I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet..
You were right though...my numbers were a little off. We ran 34 first down plays. I missed a couple plays in there somewhere. We ran the ball 20 times on first down for 2.45 ypc. Slightly better, but not great. Ten of them were for 1 yd or less. Conversely, we passed 14 times for 4.79 ypc. Clearly I missed a couple running plays in there somewhere, but the overall point remains.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
You were right though...my numbers were a little off. We ran 34 first down plays. I missed a couple plays in there somewhere. We ran the ball 20 times on first down for 2.45 ypc. Slightly better, but not great. Ten of them were for 1 yd or less. Conversely, we passed 14 times for 4.79 ypc. Clearly I missed a couple running plays in there somewhere, but the overall point remains.

I'm not at practice to see what's happening, but I'd bet there is a lot more emphasis put on the passing game than the run.

How in the hellllll do we have 3 guys blocking the OLB? The MLB is left untouched. You can say all you want we can't run the ball, but that's not the case. I don't believe they put the same emphasis or practice time into running the ball during the week, the focus is to make TA a pocket passer. IMO
8VniWq.gif

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, a valid argument. Can't argue with those numbers.