• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Northwestern football players unionize?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that you forfeited your amateur status if you had representation of any form.
Being in a Union does exactly that.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that you forfeited your amateur status if you had representation of any form.
Being in a Union does exactly that.

I would LMAO if ALL college athletes were immediately ruled ineligible and scholarships pulled.

Kain Colter don't give a fuck, he's gone anyway.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid ass kids....

Athletes are already being paid well beyond the scholarships they are getting.

They're treated as kings. This was all done for attention. Colter just wants attention.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. I guess we have an answer.

There are no longer amateur athletes in universities. Pull the scholarships. Rule them ineligible to compete because they are employees being represented by an agent.

They need to do this across the board (men's and women's sports) and get universities back in the business of educating people.

The students will no longer have to complain about practices and player meetings because there will no longer be a sport available. They can find a way to pay for their education/lodging/food and entertainment like everybody else. That is if they even want an education. My guess is they don't if they have to pay for it out of their own pocket.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny some guy unaffected by this change will screw over everyone else behind him.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title IX really does ruin any income athletic departments would make.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly the only time me and some of these rednecks will ever agree on anything. This makes about as much sense as the citizens united decision. A real clusterfuck of an idea.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title IX really does ruin any income athletic departments would make.

The Nebraska women's basketball team (which made it to the women's tournament), loses the school $2 million+ a year.

Effective immediately. Get sports out of our universities and get these schools back to what their main purpose is.
For the athletes where nobody gives a fuck about your sport , you can go play them at the Y.

Someone can start farm clubs for men's football and basketball where they can make a decent taxpayers wage and the owners can make a profit. They already have them for baseball.

Let's do this.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, let's the students worry about school. The decision is horrendous. I personally wouldn't care if they shut it all down. That's how strongly I feel about it too. Like getting a scholarship worth around 200 grand wasn't enough. Pay for your own education and ride the minor league bus from town to town practicing your craft when you join a d league.

SuperGnat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid ass kids....

Athletes are already being paid well beyond the scholarships they are getting.

They're treated as kings. This was all done for attention. Colter just wants attention.

He'll get attention allright. I suppose now the IRS has the right to tax the benefits these players (excuse me. "employees") receive in the form of scholarships and free transportation/meals/clothing. Meanwhile their poor parents are left with losing a $2,500 college tax credit and trying to figure out how to get their kid covered for health insurance because they know the poor bastard isn't going to do it on his own.

Attorneys and courts need to be very careful throwing the term "employee" around. It's a game changer for everyone involved and the victims of this are going to be the very people who sought this "victory".

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, these kids aren't just getting gigantic scholarships.......they're also eating whatever they want, whenever they want.........they're living free of rent.........AND they get a certain amount of extra cash that goes down as "grant" money to spend on the weekends.

It's ridiculous. I used to work in the Athletic Department at Nebraska......the kids are spoiled as hell. Everything they could possibly want, they have.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, this is a horrible life lesson. It teaches the kids that life is all about getting freebies while getting to do what you love.

Once the 98% who graduate and don't go pro realize that life is exactly the opposite, they'll probably go straight into the shitter.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'll email the NCAA and troll the shit out of them on this.

I'll play the part of some worried chick on a full ride scholarship for the women's swim team. You know they bleed money out the ass.

I wonder how long I can keep it going? :dhd:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, these kids aren't just getting gigantic scholarships.......they're also eating whatever they want, whenever they want.........they're living free of rent.........AND they get a certain amount of extra cash that goes down as "grant" money to spend on the weekends.

It's ridiculous. I used to work in the Athletic Department at Nebraska......the kids are spoiled as hell. Everything they could possibly want, they have.

Yep. Mr Colter wins. Athletes are all compensated employees with an agent. It's impossible to continue viewing them as amateurs and therefore in violation of the NCAA.

It's time to eliminate ALL sports from the universities. These athletes are more than welcome to continue playing them as hobbies like everyone else does that are not students.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nebraska women's basketball team (which made it to the women's tournament), loses the school $2 million+ a year.

Effective immediately. Get sports out of our universities and get these schools back to what their main purpose is.
For the athletes where nobody gives a fuck about your sport , you can go play them at the Y.

Someone can start farm clubs for men's football and basketball where they can make a decent taxpayers wage and the owners can make a profit. They already have them for baseball.

Let's do this.

How much money does the school lose from the mens gymnastics, wresting, and tennis teams?

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't this end Title IX? If these ladies are now employees of the school, then they can be evaluated. Since their division in the "company" generally bleeds money would that not be grounds to slash all women's sports (and other sports that don't make squat)? This is a business after all and employing these people is of no benefit to the University since they run on a deficit. Wow way to go Kain Colter, your sexist ass may have just cost female athletes everywhere their "jobs". Oh well it's business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much money does the school lose from the mens gymnastics, wresting, and tennis teams?

I don't care. Get rid of them.

Eliminate ALL athletics from the universities. The athletes are compensated employees with representation. They are no longer amateurs.

If they want to pursue gymnastics, let them pay for private training or be sponsored. If they want to play tennis, join a private club.

If your sport of choice can't fund itself in the private world, then I guess you now have a hobby.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people think that pay for play is the only issue that a players union would bring up? Look at the case of Jeremy Bloom. He happened to be the best mogul skier in the world while playing at Colorado. Training for mogul skiing is expensive as hell and he really needed the money from endorsements that would have had nothing to do with NCAA D1 football, and the NCAA stripped him of his eligibility for doing it. The whole thing was a complete load of bs with these hypocrites that are making billions throwing out the whole "spirit of amateurism" garbage. It was literally no skin off of anybody's back and they said no because they were afraid of where it might lead. These are the other types of things that a players union would address.