• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Northwestern football players unionize?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the appeal falls flat, the NCAA will be split into schools that pay and don't.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so stupid. Can't believe it passed. Pretty sure it gets shot down on appeal. With that being said, since these crybabies got their wish, N'Western should treat them like employees. No more scholarships; let them pay that $50K a year tuition out of their pockets. Pay them minimum wage since they do not have a degree. Do these dumbfucks even realize how great they have it made, especially when they graduate and that degree says Northwestern University, not to mention they aren't paying that expensive as hell tuition? I want to fight Kain Colter right now.......

Wow, really? I'm generally anti-union but a situation like this is exactly what the concept of unionized labor was made for. It will be interesting to see what DC does with the appeal. Regardless, between this an the O'Bannon lawsuit, college sports is about to change drastically.

FatDaddy6003

CBS Survivor
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,741.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so stupid. Can't believe it passed. Pretty sure it gets shot down on appeal. With that being said, since these crybabies got their wish, N'Western should treat them like employees. No more scholarships; let them pay that $50K a year tuition out of their pockets. Pay them minimum wage since they do not have a degree. Do these dumbfucks even realize how great they have it made, especially when they graduate and that degree says Northwestern University, not to mention they aren't paying that expensive as hell tuition? I want to fight Kain Colter right now.......
:agree::lol::yahoo::clap::nod::10::suds:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This, plus make sure they pay proper taxes on all of the free clothing they university gives them, plus the gifts they receive from bowl games.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, and burn down Ryan Field and tear up all the television contracts they have for the football program as well, because nothing makes a point better than shooting yourself in the face!

This is long overdue. These lame amateur rules were made years ago and the schools were cool with keeping them because they were making truck loads of money.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it is a private university it could just drop athletics altogether and tell the Big 10 they can find another team.
There is precedent for this. The University of Chicago dropped athletics and leet the B1G, although they still are part of the B1G's academic arm, the CIC. Highly unlikely to happen.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what happens when some athlete wants to file a grievance because his coach called him a lazy bastard and to get it in gear? Are teams going to elect captains and trade union representatives too? Is a coach going to risk arbitration when he wants to run his team until their ankles smoke because they blew a game in the 4th quarter from not being in shape? Can the team go on strike? How many fans (who are already stressed from ticket prices) will finally say "fuck it" and find something else to do on Saturday afternoons?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are employees, they can be fired.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If We Paid NCAA Basketball Players What They're Really Worth, This Is What They'd Earn - David Berri - The Atlantic

I found this article interesting although its basketball.. basically saying student athletes are creating more revenue than they are getting paid in a scholarship.... I have raised the issue before....why not just give all "employees" a scholarship.....sorry nick saban, les miles etc....we aren't going to give you this multi million dollar contract. but heres a scholarship for you and your immediate family.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA should cave and agree to it all and at the last second announce they will pay them the minimum wage.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah for unions. Welcome to the real world kids were nothing is free. In the past you paid your due with sweat, now you pay taxes and tuition.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It costs an average of $34,000/year for a non-resident student living in university housing to attend OU. That's a serious chunk of change for the average American family and OU is dirt cheap compared to a lot of other schools in the NCAA. That's a free ride to get a degree that should make the student even more money later in life. And, for some, it's an opportunity to hone athletic skills that can lead to professional contracts. I have yet to read about any good athlete turning down a scholarship for the privilege of paying his/her own way through school with aid from their parents, loans or other types of scholarships. The very few people at any university lucky enough to be going to school free can kiss my dimpled ass if they feel "exploited". And trust me, the vast majority of students at ANY school are going to seriously resent it if they hear an athlete bitching about how hard he/she has it. Want spending money? Then work during the summer like I did if your parents really can't help you. I'm sick of hearing about how hard athletes have it in school. Wanna trade what you are doing for what I was doing when I was 19 years old? Go hump 80 pounds all day while some fucker is shooting at you and then get back with me.

how much money does bob stoops get paid? just over 5.5 million....how much do they rake in for tv deals? athletic jersey sales. in the college days of Adrian peterson how much did Oklahoma make off of #28 jerseys? why not just give bob stoops a scholarship and call it a day?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much money does bob stoops get paid? just over 5.5 million....how much do they rake in for tv deals? athletic jersey sales. in the college days of Adrian peterson how much did Oklahoma make off of #28 jerseys? why not just give bob stoops a scholarship and call it a day?

Doesn't really matter what Stoops makes. These players are student/athletes, not employees. Says so on the scholarship they sign. If they don't like it and think their lives are such a struggle as a college football player, then don't sign the scholly, wait 3 years and declare for the NFL draft.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Stupid. This may open up opportunity for a semi-pro league.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If We Paid NCAA Basketball Players What They're Really Worth, This Is What They'd Earn - David Berri - The Atlantic

I found this article interesting although its basketball.. basically saying student athletes are creating more revenue than they are getting paid in a scholarship.... I have raised the issue before....why not just give all "employees" a scholarship.....sorry nick saban, les miles etc....we aren't going to give you this multi million dollar contract. but heres a scholarship for you and your immediate family.

GMAFB, the regular employee in corporate America has always busted their ass more than the CEO has and the CEO always gets paid millions more. No difference here.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't really matter what Stoops makes. These players are student/athletes, not employees. Says so on the scholarship they sign. If they don't like it and think their lives are such a struggle as a college football player, then don't sign the scholly, wait 3 years and declare for the NFL draft.

lol im just saying you all have such a problem them getting paid anything...but turn your head while others make millions. a little biased don't you think? you and I both know that if stoops didn't get anything but a scholarship he would pass.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol im just saying you all have such a problem them getting paid anything...but turn your head while others make millions. a little biased don't you think? you and I both know that if stoops didn't get anything but a scholarship he would pass.

They don't need to get paid, they already receive a $150K scholarship for free. Did you go to USC? If so, surely you would know these fucking guys have it made already.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But thanks to title IX, the men's football and basketball programs end up funding the majority of the mandated women's athletic programs. Football maybe big revenue generators in the Bigboy confs like the Bigs, PAC, and SEC, but a lot of that revenue is used to fund the AD budgets for all the other sports at these schools, especially the women's programs that the majority are major cash losers.

UW is a prefect example. The athletic and medical school are the only two entities that pay for themselves and aren't subsidized by any state funds. And the only reason the athletic program can is because of the revenue from the men's football program. It pays for women's basketball, soccer, softball, etc...every one of them.

Can't wait to see how this union bullshit collides with title IX.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun paying the women's bowlers. LMAO