• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Fielder

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Ogando's first year as a starter so I'm not to sure the Rangers were alarmed at his late season struggles. If you have faith that Euhara will bounce back next year after bombing then it's hard to imagine that you don't think Ogando will regain his spot in the rotation.

Holy shit we agree!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Ogando's first year as a starter so I'm not to sure the Rangers were alarmed at his late season struggles. If you have faith that Euhara will bounce back next year after bombing then it's hard to imagine that you don't think Ogando will regain his spot in the rotation.

and i do have faith that Ogando can be a force in the rotation but only if he can develop a 3rd pitch that he can throw for strikes. part of his issue in the 2nd half was his strength problems not having thrown the number of innings he was getting into but the other was he had 2 pitches and he was inconsistent with the 2nd which forced him to throw his FB more and more often. and the strength issues resulted in him not controlling the location which allowed hitters to sit on his 2nd pitch and wait for him to groove his FB. a good starter needs 2 go-to pitches and at least a 3rd pitch to keep hitters off balance most have 4. maybe if he develops a 2-seam & a 4-seam fastball and improves his slider and works on a change-up

70% of his pitches were Fastballs
about 28% of his pitches were Sliders
and finally about 2% were changeups

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and i do have faith that Ogando can be a force in the rotation but only if he can develop a 3rd pitch that he can throw for strikes.

I don't believe TEX will make Ogando's return to the rotation conditional on picking up another pitch at all. Guy had a 13-9 record throwing 169 innings and was an All Star in his first full year in the majors and first year as a starter. That earns him a spot in the rotation just by showing up for camp.

If Ogando develops a curve and/or a changeup that he can throw for strikes to go along with his hard stuff ... well in my opinion that changes him from being a mid rotation SP to one who can duel it out for one of the top spots.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland and ogando could be a hell of a 1-2 punch in another season or so.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland has #1 type stuff. One of these days it will all click for him. I hope the rangers are the one holding his contract when it does.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see either of them being #1 ... (a true #1 as opposed to CJ being called a #1). Maybe Ogando-Holland are potentially co-number 2s though.

CJ was 6th in the Cy Young voting. Had a 2.94 ERA, struck out 206 batters and had a 1.19 WHIP even after floundering for a few starts. Those most definitely are stats of an ACE.

I guess they could always sign Mark Buehrle to improve that #1 spot. He of 3.59 ERA, 1.30 WHIP and 109 strikeouts.

Both Holland and Ogando throw 97 mph and are nasty. What more do you guys want from them? Both are very inexperienced at the ML level and yet both just had phenomenally good seasons. No reason to think both won't improve next season and if they do then both are unquestionably #1 material.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ was 6th in the Cy Young voting. Had a 2.94 ERA, struck out 206 batters and had a 1.19 WHIP even after floundering for a few starts. Those most definitely are stats of an ACE.

I guess they could always sign Mark Buehrle to improve that #1 spot. He of 3.59 ERA, 1.30 WHIP and 109 strikeouts.

Both Holland and Ogando throw 97 mph and are nasty. What more do you guys want from them? Both are very inexperienced at the ML level and yet both just had phenomenally good seasons. No reason to think both won't improve next season and if they do then both are unquestionably #1 material.

That's what I don't get about people. Give CJ a little credit at least. He just finished his second full year as a starter and had some great numbers in a hitters park. He has a fairly low number of innings and there is no reason to believe he won't improve. People don't get that there just aren't a bunch of lee's, halladays, and verlanders floating around available to be picked up. But we have multiple guys with that type of potential.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I don't get about people. Give CJ a little credit at least. He just finished his second full year as a starter and had some great numbers in a hitters park. He has a fairly low number of innings and there is no reason to believe he won't improve. People don't get that there just aren't a bunch of lee's, halladays, and verlanders floating around available to be picked up. But we have multiple guys with that type of potential.

Maybe there is reason to believe that he won't improve. He's 31, he's lost a little zip on his fastball and he looked like maybe he was a little tired in the playoffs.
I don't really have a strong opinion on CJ one way or the other so I'll leave it up to the FO guys to make the right decision. However, you can bet that what CJ has done in the past and even what he might do next year doesn't have much bearing on a 4 or 5 year deal. The fact that they will be paying him a lot of money to pitch when he's 35 or 36 years old does.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe there is reason to believe that he won't improve. He's 31, he's lost a little zip on his fastball and he looked like maybe he was a little tired in the playoffs.
I don't really have a strong opinion on CJ one way or the other so I'll leave it up to the FO guys to make the right decision. However, you can bet that what CJ has done in the past and even what he might do next year doesn't have much bearing on a 4 or 5 year deal. The fact that they will be paying him a lot of money to pitch when he's 35 or 36 years old does.

He also pitched every fifth day after the all-star break. That was his second full year as a starter and that was quite a load to put on him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also pitched every fifth day after the all-star break. That was his second full year as a starter and that was quite a load to put on him.

the whole pitching staff looked tired toward the end. and like you said this was only his 2nd year as a starter so he has less wear on his arm than starters 2 or 3 years younger than him. so the idea of giving him a 5-year deal makes sense