• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NLDS Game 4 SF @ ATL thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was exactly my response when I heard him. He assumes that the Phillies pitching will be dominant (a fair assumption) but that the Giants pitching will be hittable (all evidence seems to contradict that). Further, he only "analyzes" the top three pitchers, but the Phils are going to need a fourth starter in game four, and we will have the advantage in that game as we'll be at AT&T and Bum is better than any fourth starter they have. He also doesn't "analyze" the bullpens at all -- of course we know which team would win that comparison.

If the Giants are going to win this series, here's how I see it playing out:

Game 1: Timmy @ Doc -- we lose a close one. Phils up 1-0
Game 2: Cain @ Oswalt -- we win a close one. Series tied 1-1
Game 3: Hamel @ Chez -- we win a close one. Giants up 2-1
Game 4: Blanton @ Bum -- we win an easy one. Giants up 3-1
Game 5: Doc @ Timmy -- Timmy wins rematch. THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT.

That's my call: Giants in 5. You read it here first.

The awesomeness would be infinite. It's not an unreasonable take. I think Phils in 6 but nobody knows nuthin. Go Giants!

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll call Giants in 7.
1. Timmy @ Halladay-Phillies score their only run in a walk off in the 10th.
2. Cain @ Oswalt- Cain loses by giving up 2 runs (1 earned) in 8.
3. Hamels @ Sanchez-Giants score early but Sanchez has his meltdown we've all been waiting for. Giants take a beating and lose 9-2 in a very demoralizing defeat.
4. Blanton @ Bumgarner-Giants down 3-0 still start Bumgarner and he throws a 1 hitter through 9 and the Giants win 4-0.
5. Halladay @ Lincecum part 2-Timmy shuts them down through 9 again and he drives in the only Giants run on a suicide squeeze with Fontenot scoring from 3rd.
6. Cain @ Oswalt-Both pitchers are shutting it down through 5, when Pat the Bat hits a 3 run shot that proves to be the only runs scored.
7. Sanchez @ Hamels-Sanchez gets redemption by outdueling Hamels 3-1 through 8 with Posey hitting for the cycle and Wilson closing the door.

...that's right, I called the Giants coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win the series. With what this team has done all season, can anybody really doubt this prediction?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies better think it over, they don't want none of this:

funny-pictures-angry-sloth.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rowand is back no matter what...his contract is untradeable and we won't eat it.

I think we're looking at an OF roster of: Burrell, Torres, Ross, Nate, Rowand. Maybe Belt makes the squad over Nate.

I was thinking Rowand back starting, he obviously isn't going anywhere.

I can't wait for Saturday boys!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking Rowand back starting, he obviously isn't going anywhere.

I can't wait for Saturday boys!

You know what I left out of that analysis? Mark DeRosa.

So, I'm thinking we re-sign Burrell to a one year deal -- he's already said he'd be OK with a backup role next year. Torres, Ross, Rowand, DeRosa, Nate, and Belt are under team control. So I see it this way:

LF -- DeRosa
CF -- Torres
RF -- Ross
Bench -- Burrell, Nate/Belt.

We trade Rowand and eat most of the contract. That's the only way I see this working out unless they choose to not re-sign Burrell. The other option would be to start DeRosa at third and keep Rowand. However, I think Panda will be OK next year and reclaim the starting job.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what I left out of that analysis? Mark DeRosa.

So, I'm thinking we re-sign Burrell to a one year deal -- he's already said he'd be OK with a backup role next year. Torres, Ross, Rowand, DeRosa, Nate, and Belt are under team control. So I see it this way:

LF -- DeRosa
CF -- Torres
RF -- Ross
Bench -- Burrell, Nate/Belt.

We trade Rowand and eat most of the contract. That's the only way I see this working out unless they choose to not re-sign Burrell. The other option would be to start DeRosa at third and keep Rowand. However, I think Panda will be OK next year and reclaim the starting job.

Fuck, I forgot about him too.

I like DeRosa, but I think he'd be better served playing off the bench, starting often at many different positions and giving guys blows when they need it.

I really don't see this team changing much next year with the exception of DeRosa coming back, Belt up and Guillen gone. I don't think they will make any big trade or sign any of the stars on the market (though I could see them inquire about Dunn) nor do I think they should. They should just sign a backup middle infielder and some relievers to ST invites. If the opportunity presents itself to get rid of Rowand, that would probably be the biggest news, but in no way in hell do I see that happening.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I like DeRosa, but I think he'd be better served playing off the bench, starting often at many different positions and giving guys blows when they need it.

I really don't see this team changing much next year with the exception of DeRosa coming back, Belt up and Guillen gone. I don't think they will make any big trade or sign any of the stars on the market (though I could see them inquire about Dunn) nor do I think they should. They should just sign a backup middle infielder and some relievers to ST invites. If the opportunity presents itself to get rid of Rowand, that would probably be the biggest news, but in no way in hell do I see that happening.

There's an option that I don't think many people have talked about to get rid of either Rowand or Zito. Oliver Perez! The Mets are sick of him more because of how worthless he is than because of his ridiculous contract. He is only signed through next year and if the Mets are stupid enough to think they can compete, then they will be happy to get rid of that dead weight to pick up another overpaid starter (or maybe Rowand but far less likely,) that is actually serviceable. Of course we might have to throw in somebody along the lines of Thomas Neal or Francisco Peguero so that the Mets bite, but I think this is semi-realistic if Sabean pressed the right buttons.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why do you make me do this? Tell you what, I'll just highlight it, and you can come up with your own jokes. :D

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

^^^Im sure there's groupies for that

There's groupies for anything remotely cool

There are no groupies for my undefeated fantasy football team..:(

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, if Belt is up then you have seven OF assuming we re-sign Burrell (7.5 if you include Huff). Seven is too many, so I think they'll try and move Rowand to the AL, and they'll trade Nate.

As for the infield, I see it like this: Panda, re-sign Uribe, Franchez, re-sign Huff, Fontenot, Ishi. That leaves one spot which I think they'll fill with a starting SS FA (JJ Hardy?).

The catchers are set.

The bullpen should be: Wilson, Affeldt, Romo, Lopez, Ramirez, Casilla. Runzler, Ray, and Mota would also be in the mix if someone gets hurt.

The starters should remain the same.

So, to sum up
Let walk: Rent, Guillen
Re-sign: Huff, Uribe, Burrell.
Sign: FA SS
AAA: Ray, Runzler, Velez, Burriss, Ford, Gillespie, Hinshaw, Joaquin, Peguero, Pill, Pucetas, Rohlinger, Sosa, Graham, Edlefsen.
Trade: Rowand, Nate

Keep: Posey, Whiteside
Franchez, Panda, Fontenot, Ishi
DeRosa, Torres, Ross, Belt
Timmy, Chez, Cain, Bum, Zeets
Weez, Affeldt, Romo, Lopez, Ramirez, Casilla

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

^^^Im sure there's groupies for that

There's groupies for anything remotely cool

There are no groupies for my undefeated fantasy football team..:(

Aren't there fantasy groupies for your fantasy team?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if Belt is up then you have seven OF assuming we re-sign Burrell (7.5 if you include Huff). Seven is too many, so I think they'll try and move Rowand to the AL, and they'll trade Nate.

As for the infield, I see it like this: Panda, re-sign Uribe, Franchez, re-sign Huff, Fontenot, Ishi. That leaves one spot which I think they'll fill with a starting SS FA (JJ Hardy?).

The catchers are set.

The bullpen should be: Wilson, Affeldt, Romo, Lopez, Ramirez, Casilla. Runzler, Ray, and Mota would also be in the mix if someone gets hurt.

So, to sum up
AAA: Ray, Runzler, Velez, Burriss, Ford, Gillespie, Hinshaw, Joaquin, Peguero, Pill, Pucetas, Rohlinger, Sosa, Graham, Edlefsen.

I like this roster. If Jhonny Peralta can be had cheaper than J.J. Hardy, I would be fine with that signing as well.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What are everyone's thoughts on Brandon Crawford? I know that he isn't where he should be with the bat yet, but he has a great glove and phenomenal range. I think that Uribe/Renteria at SS has shown that it's more important to have a good defensive SS than it is to have one that can hit a bunch of HR (unless you can get both at once.) It might hurt his development, but maybe we could package up Panda to get a stud SS prospect and use Crawford as a stopgap if his hitting doesn't come around.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are everyone's thoughts on Brandon Crawford? I know that he isn't where he should be with the bat yet, but he has a great glove and phenomenal range. I think that Uribe/Renteria at SS has shown that it's more important to have a good defensive SS than it is to have one that can hit a bunch of HR (unless you can get both at once.) It might hurt his development, but maybe we could package up Panda to get a stud SS prospect and use Crawford as a stopgap if his hitting doesn't come around.

Worth a shot, but personally, I'd support signing a stopgap. It's slightly less risky. At this point, the only way the team can get better is if they go to/win the World Series. The only trade that is made should be with that in mind. While I'm sure that is usually the goal, the closer this team gets to a title, the more Sabean needs to ask about each trade, "Does this get us a ring?" Of course, some things are out of his control, but I believe Hardy or Peralta make this team better than giving up most future pieces in a trade would.

That said, I'm certainly behind the right trade, but if you thought Sabean was cautious before, imagine after this year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The catchers are set.

So, to sum up

This is what I was getting at.

Some SS options, JJ Hardy, Jhonny Peralta, Bobby Crosby, Christian Guzman, Jerry Hariston, Cesar Izturis, Omar Vizquel, David Eckstein.

Internally, Burriss, Crawford, Rohlinger.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is what I was getting at.

Some SS options, JJ Hardy, Jhonny Peralta, Bobby Crosby, Christian Guzman, Jerry Hariston, Cesar Izturis, Omar Vizquel, David Eckstein.

Internally, Burriss, Crawford, Rohlinger.

A little bit of optimism if we can't fill this position effectively for quite a period of time. Thinking way long term if we find ourselves in the same all pitching/no hitting position a few years from now, Tulo and Hanram will both be free agents right after the Zito and Rowand contracts expire. Hopefully this position gets filled long before then, but it is a possibility that we live year to year on Uribe types at short until something good presents itself that Sabean can jump on.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't there fantasy groupies for your fantasy team?

Yes. Yes, there are.

They all have amazing racks and cheer on every imaginary point an actual football player makes for my fantasy team.

seriously though, if you are ever stuck in a situation where you need a conversation time killer i.e girlfriend's girlfriend's boyfriend and you know they watch football/play fantasy football, just ask them about their lineup..got me through alot of wedding receptions and birthday parties where I didn't know anyone.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Yes, there are.

They all have amazing racks and cheer on every imaginary point an actual football player makes for my fantasy team.

seriously though, if you are ever stuck in a situation where you need a conversation time killer i.e girlfriend's girlfriend's boyfriend and you know they watch football/play fantasy football, just ask them about their lineup..got me through alot of wedding receptions and birthday parties where I didn't know anyone.

Absolutely. Not to mention helpful for business. I'm pretty sure I got a new client for the law firm that I work for purely from a fantasy football inspired BBQ. It's the new golf course for deal making (you know, along with actually golfing).