• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL West Talk

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres - 0 starters, 2 all-stars (plus Rodney)
Rockies - 1 starter, 2 all-stars
Diamondbacks - 0 starters, 1 all-star
Dodgers - 0 starters, 3 all-stars
Giants - 2 starters, 4 all-stars
Jake Lamb could have easily been the 2nd D'Back if they only had some fans.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Pomeranz' last game in a Padre uni was the All-Star game.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck with Espinoza, I'll be rooting for him. Wish the Sox didn't have to part with him, but they still have Kopech/Groome. So at least there's still some very intriguing arms in the system.

Espinoza's 2016 stats don't look impressive, but you have to remember that he's among the youngest players in the Sally league. He's had some pretty impressive outings and some real clunkers.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck with Espinoza, I'll be rooting for him. Wish the Sox didn't have to part with him, but they still have Kopech/Groome. So at least there's still some very intriguing arms in the system.

Espinoza's 2016 stats don't look impressive, but you have to remember that he's among the youngest players in the Sally league. He's had some pretty impressive outings and some real clunkers.
How would you grade the trade for both teams?
Red Sox got a SP that they needed who has some control past this season, although there is a risk because of the lack of success he had prior to 2016.
Padres got a young arm with a lot of potential. He doesn't have great numbers in low A this year and trading a guy like Pomeranz for any teenager prospect is gonna have some risk involved, but I've been seeing him in the top 15-20 of midseason rankings and seen some talk of Pedro martinez when reading about him.
Helps the Red Sox win now and helps the Padres future which is what they're shooting for right now, seems like a win/win.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you grade the trade for both teams?
Red Sox got a SP that they needed who has some control past this season, although there is a risk because of the lack of success he had prior to 2016.
Padres got a young arm with a lot of potential. He doesn't have great numbers in low A this year and any trading a guy like Pomeranz for any teenager prospect is gonna have some risk involved, but I've been seeing him in the top 15-20 of midseason rankings and seen some talk of Pedro martinez when reading about him.
Helps the Red Sox win now and helps the Padres future which is what they're shooting for right now.

B for Sox and B/B- for the Padres, I guess. Sox fill an immediate need with Pomeranz, and they managed to get one of the best SP on the market without completely giving up young pitching talent. He's pretty damn good, but there's some legitimate questions about his workload.

Padres get one of the most talented pitching prospects out there, but he's years away from reaching the majors right now. And it remains to be seen whether he can handle a full season in the minors as a starter.

Pomeranz didn't come out of nowhere either, though, he was a pretty big prospect (and the centerpiece of the Ubaldo trade). I'm not too worried about him moving from Petco to Fenway, mostly because Petco isn't the pitchers park it used to be ever since they moved the fences in. He has a respectable GB% rate this year to go along with his elite strikeout rate. Helps that he also throws a third quality pitch now (cutter).

Last edited:

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B for Sox and B/B- for the Padres, I guess. Sox fill an immediate need with Pomeranz and he's pretty damn good, but there's some legitimate questions about his workload. Padres get one of the most talented pitching prospects out there, but he's years away from reaching the majors right now. And it remains to be seen whether he can handle a full season in the minors as a starter.

Pomeranz didn't come out of nowhere either, though, he was a pretty big prospect (and the centerpiece of the Ubaldo trade). I'm not too worried about him moving from Petco to Fenway, mostly because Petco isn't the pitchers park it used to be ever since they moved the fences in. He has a respectable GB% rate this year to go along with his elite strikeout rate.
When I think about the fact that the Padres traded Yonder Alonso and Mark Rzepczynski for Pomeranz, which means they got a top 15-20 prospect for those 2 players this year, it makes me feel much better about it. Padres weren't gonna contend this year or next anyway, so I'm not worried about him being years away. I know Pomeranz had been a high draft pick so there was potential there and it's not like he's an old guy either(27). I hope it works out for Boston, Pomeranz was a hell of a lot of fun to watch this season and it'll be cool for him to compete in meaningful games this August and September. We won't really know if it works out for San Diego until Espinoza is in the major leagues, while Boston wants and needs instant results from Drew.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres got Pomeranz for a scrub 1B and a decent mid-reliever. They were then able to flip him for a TOP prospect.

Nice series of transactions for the Pads, if you ask me.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres got Pomeranz for a scrub 1B and a decent mid-reliever. They were then able to flip him for a TOP prospect.

Nice series of transactions for the Pads, if you ask me.

Agreed.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres - 0 starters, 2 all-stars (plus Rodney)
Rockies - 1 starter, 2 all-stars
Diamondbacks - 0 starters, 1 all-star
Dodgers - 0 starters, 3 all-stars
Giants - 2 starters, 4 all-stars
You know Kershaw would've started if his back wasn't hurting, right?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Cueto started, right?
Yes, and the reason why he started was because a bunch of other pitchers were injured, which is the point that went way over your head. Kershaw and Syndergaard would've started ahead of him if available to pitch.

I'm not knocking Cueto's start or the validity of it, I just don't like what you seemed to be implying with your post.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and the reason why he started was because a bunch of other pitchers were injured, which is the point that went way over your head. Kershaw and Syndergaard would've started ahead of him if available to pitch.

I'm not knocking Cueto's start or the validity of it, I just don't like what you seemed to be implying with your post.
I am "implying" empirical fact. I wasn't applying commentary.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres finally beat MadBum and the Giants!
dWEyA.gif

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am "implying" empirical fact. I wasn't applying commentary.

It's an empirical fact that 100% of PB&J sandwich eaters die. So what? Cueto would not have been the All-Star Starter if Syndergaard and Kershaw were healthy.

You put up a scoreboard as if it say "look more starters for us than you!" so I felt it necessary to point out that Cueto's start came with an asterisk. He wasn't the best 1-half starter pitcher, he was the best 1-half starting pitcher who wasn't battling an injury at the time of an exhibition game. Not that big of a deal, but if you feel like keeping score then I feel like perspective is warranted and there's no sane baseball fan on the planet who would disagree that Kershaw would be more worthy than Cueto (not to knock Cueto, he's having a fantastic season).

I can't believe it's taken me two posts to illustrate this point to you, normally you're not one of the dense ones.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an empirical fact that 100% of PB&J sandwich eaters die. So what? Cueto would not have been the All-Star Starter if Syndergaard and Kershaw were healthy.

You put up a scoreboard as if it say "look more starters for us than you!" so I felt it necessary to point out that Cueto's start came with an asterisk. He wasn't the best 1-half starter pitcher, he was the best 1-half starting pitcher who wasn't battling an injury at the time of an exhibition game. Not that big of a deal, but if you feel like keeping score then I feel like perspective is warranted and there's no sane baseball fan on the planet who would disagree that Kershaw would be more worthy than Cueto (not to knock Cueto, he's having a fantastic season).

I can't believe it's taken me two posts to illustrate this point to you, normally you're not one of the dense ones.
Woulda.
Coulda.
Shoulda.
Didn't.

If you want to play imaginary scenarios, the Giants should have had the starting SS as well. I wasn't bitching about that BECAUSE HE DIDNT START!