• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban Signs New Contract for $6.9 Million a Year

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a bargain to me. Remember what Bama was the decade before he got there? A decade of mediocrity. IMO he's worth every penny if not more.

Had a lot of NCAA interference into that decade also, some deserved and some not. Kinda hard to get a good coach when the chips are down and the establishment is riding you like a cheap blowup doll.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Err...we do have a professional sports franchise...so we got that going for us...which is nice.

I'm about 2 1/2 hrs from Tuscaloosa or Atlanta. Unless Huntsville got a pro team, it's pretty much all the same to me. :noidea:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Err...we do have a professional sports franchise...so we got that going for us...which is nice.

Many in Alabama are only a few hours from a pro sports franchise also. Birmingham area is only a few hours from Atlanta, Not that anyone would want to, but the ones on the coast of Alabama could drive to Jacksonville to see the Jags play and we have all kinds of airports in the state to fly anywhere that others can go. Anyone willing to shell out money for tickets to a pro game are likely to not mind shelling out money for travel expenses also. Its called a weekend roadtrip, not hard to do if you dont mind driving or flying.

Point being, we can do anything you can do, so having a sports franchise doesnt allow you to corner the market on getting out of the house.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He better be worth the money.

Already has been. If you looked at what he has been worth not only to the football team, but also the influx of new students and construction that has been going on, its been amazing the growth Alabama has had over his tenure as coach. Before Mal Moore died he praised Saban on what he has meant to the University and Battle has repeated those sentiments on several occasions.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He better be worth the money.

He can suck from here on out (which he won't) and he has already cashed that check multiple times over. He is basically probably 2mm to 3mm overpaid from the average coach at a major program but the exposure he has brought the university since he got there is worth more than 10 times that.

Donations, stadium expansion, merchandising and increased enrollment at the university itself has increased and the quality of students they are selecting has increased as a result of their success.

I don't particularly like the guy but Alabama could pay him 10mm a year and it wouldn't be a terrible investment as a whole but it would strain the budget and wouldn't be prudent. Now pay him this on day one and its just plain stupid but three rings later and it makes economic sense.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jezuz...Bamas just shoveling the cash out the door...why?

Oh yeah OOC schedules...:boxing:

Alabama's revenue has increased by 43 percent since 2009, when it won the first of three football national championships under Nick Saban. Revenue is up 112 percent since 2006, Alabama's last year with Mike Shula as coach. Alabama has since expanded its football stadium and reaped the benefits of new SEC television deals.

In 2012-13, Alabama listed spending $18.5 million on coaches' salaries and $11.1 million on athletically related student aid -- a difference of $7.4 million. That gap was $6.6 million in Alabama's 2011-12 EADA report.

This paints a pretty good picture what his worth has been to the Athletic department, this doesnt even speak to the increase in the student body which has been attributed to his being the coach and the football teams return to prominence.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can suck from here on out (which he won't) and he has already cashed that check multiple times over. He is basically probably 2mm to 3mm overpaid from the average coach at a major program but the exposure he has brought the university since he got there is worth more than 10 times that.

Donations, stadium expansion, merchandising and increased enrollment at the university itself has increased and the quality of students they are selecting has increased as a result of their success.

I don't particularly like the guy but Alabama could pay him 10mm a year and it wouldn't be a terrible investment as a whole but it would strain the budget and wouldn't be prudent. Now pay him this on day one and its just plain stupid but three rings later and it makes economic sense.

Thats a million dollar raise for each ring:lol:

Worth every penny.:nod:

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban is under Paid

He took a ship that was rotting from all sides and transformed into the best Football Program in CFB

6.9 is chump change for the amount of $ Saban generates for Roll Tide

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love college football. The players can't even sign their own jerseys, subject themselves to severe injury, realize that only one in a thousand of them will ever make real money from the sport, understand that their talent fills stadiums, and now must play for a man that makes more money than anyone in the state.

While we all love the sport, the pervasive influence of money will eventually ruin it, if it hasn't already. It is becoming obvious that the top conferences will eventually form semi-professional leagues. The myth of the "student athlete" is clung to desperately, and not even the ones who mouth the phrase believe it. But this is America, it's true for our big corporations and our government too.

No different than Corporate America. Salespeople can sell million dollar equipment and make a pretty good living making six digits, but the CEO and founder of the company will always rake in millions while other peeps are doing the brunt of the hard work. I will agree with you on one thing, money is going to eventually ruin CFB, starting with college realignment.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, for the extra million, do ya think that Ole Nick will understand the rules that when you try a super long field goal that the other team has the right to run the kick back?

Gosh, for a million bucks, do you suppose that he might put a few players with speed on the field, just in case? Nah, it was way too much fun to watch all those big Alabama linemen trying to run down a fast Auburn guy who made them all look stupid.

But now that he has that extra loot, maybe he'll spend a Saturday evening reading up on the rules.

I doubt it, gotta use that country club membership instead.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee, for the extra million, do ya think that Ole Nick will understand the rules that when you try a super long field goal that the other team has the right to run the kick back?

Gosh, for a million bucks, do you suppose that he might put a few players with speed on the field, just in case? Nah, it was way too much fun to watch all those big Alabama linemen trying to run down a fast Auburn guy who made them all look stupid.

But now that he has that extra loot, maybe he'll spend a Saturday evening reading up on the rules.

Jelly

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO@ Bozo State. Only 2 lifetime wins over a team that even finished the season ranked in the top 10.

:laugh3:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, he's just a terrible coach, just terrible.
:laugh3: