• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban Signs New Contract for $6.9 Million a Year

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So really, lets see you take that bold step and quit living on the accomplishments of other teams, bring them on down to Tuscaloosa or even Atlanta or Dallas and lets see what them donkeys have for a team. No delays, lets see it in 2015 if you have the balls to try it yourself, or will you find yet another excuse such as heat, humidity, location, not being asked, panties too tight, girlfriend or wife wont let you have your balls back. Its all good, we know that Boise is just another shooting star and soon enough it will hit the atmosphere and burn out. Till then we can laugh at the one or two midlevel FBS teams you play that you pretend are really tough opponents.

No problem, but Boise already has 6 road games in 2015. So you'd need to come to Boise. I'm sure that we could adjust the schedule to accommodate y'all up here. Perhaps if the game is close, we'll do a return trip back South, but why would we want to go to Tuscaloosa? It's humid and tornado infested. Nothing really to do but hang around campus and do side trips to New Orleans or Atlanta. Boise has a dozen great choices from white water rafting to the longest systems of bike and hiking trails and trophy trout fishing literally in the middle of town. Oh, and as a capital city, all the amenities that a regional cultural hub can offer. We Broncos have made the trip down South numerous times for games, not once getting a return trip. So tell me, when has Alabama ever come up into this country for a reg. season game? As far as I can tell, the answer is never. Pity, it's beautiful up here, and the weather is much nicer in the fall.

So it's your turn. See y'all in Boise, or maybe not.:think:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem, but Boise already has 6 road games in 2015. So you'd need to come to Boise. I'm sure that we could adjust the schedule to accommodate y'all up here. Perhaps if the game is close, we'll do a return trip back South, but why would we want to go to Tuscaloosa? It's humid and tornado infested. Nothing really to do but hang around campus and do side trips to New Orleans or Atlanta. Boise has a dozen great choices from white water rafting to the longest systems of bike and hiking trails and trophy trout fishing literally in the middle of town. Oh, and as a capital city, all the amenities that a regional cultural hub can offer. We Broncos have made the trip down South numerous times for games, not once getting a return trip. So tell me, when has Alabama ever come up into this country for a reg. season game? As far as I can tell, the answer is never. Pity, it's beautiful up here, and the weather is much nicer in the fall.

So it's your turn. See y'all in Boise, or maybe not.:think:

:laugh3:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must be that time of year for The Smurf crew to tell us how they beat Oregon and Oky years ago.

And turn every thread Into their personal soapbox letting us know they still matter.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must be that time of year for The Smurf crew to tell us how they beat Oregon and Oky years ago.

And turn every thread Into their personal soapbox letting us know they think they still matter.

fify

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And turn every thread Into their personal soapbox letting us know they still matter.

Well, you guys needed some striped help to beat Oky, so we get it. No, I'm posting here because our dear Bama friends rise to the bait like big fat bass. And they are greedy cowards when it comes to scheduling. Oregon has gone into SEC country and kicked ass, SEC teams seem reluctant to do this, especially the top ones. Look, Florida hasn't left the state in 25 years or so for an OOC game. Bama plays FCS teams every single year, last year they did two of 'em.

Hell, no, while we enjoyed those old wins, we got business this year. I'm plenty worried about Ole Miss on the road, UConn, Louisiana, and BYU. While it's not the best OOC schedule, it's the best we can get, since we doubt that the Ducks ever want to come back.

You'd be pleased to know, Mamba, that we built a covered entrance for the visiting team to use entering and leaving the field. We affectionately call it "The LeGarrette Blount Tunnel." So while we move on, it's damn fun to remember that ass kicking, which may be at least part of the reason why teams seem reluctant to play us here.

Peace, old friend.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo. No sense is wasting the $ Boise will want when Bama could schedule any lower tier team for less and still get the same outcome. I would like an actual big name team that earned their way to being a big name, not one that let's people know they're there by whining louder than the rest.

Whether Alabama fans think Boise is a big name or not, the plain fact is that Boise has become a big name. Playing Boise is not simply "replacing a lower tier team with a lower tier team".

Alabama could schedule Boise, pay them a fair rate and still make more money than playing Charleston Southern. For t.v. revenue purposes, Alabama vs. Charleston Southern is a regional game, played at Noon EST, that is watched pretty much only by Alabama fans and cfb junkies. However, a game vs. Boise would be a nationally televised game played in primetime.

Regardless of what Alabama fans might think, Boise attracts the interest of most college football fans and more importantly, the casual fan who is much more likely to watch an Alabama/Boise game than an Alabama/Charleston Southern game.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether Alabama fans think Boise is a big name or not, the plain fact is that Boise has become a big name. Playing Boise is not simply "replacing a lower tier team with a lower tier team".

Alabama could schedule Boise, pay them a fair rate and still make more money than playing Charleston Southern. For t.v. revenue purposes, Alabama vs. Charleston Southern is a regional game, played at Noon EST, that is watched pretty much only by Alabama fans and cfb junkies. However, a game vs. Boise would be a nationally televised game played in primetime.

Regardless of what Alabama fans might think, Boise attracts the interest of most college football fans and more importantly, the casual fan who is much more likely to watch an Alabama/Boise game than an Alabama/Charleston Southern game.

Sure we could if they traveled to our house, might even pay them the asking price they seem so hell bent on. But the excuses are thick in that crowd ranging from humid and hot, tornado infested, panties in a wad, diaper chafes on log trips, Might get t-bagged and be scarred for life. Lets face it, some like Berkeley might enjoy that last one a bit too much. Frankly, i see no real value in even playing Boise whether its on the road or at their place, they simply are not the team they once were a few years back and until they shows signs of life again, its just another "Meh" lower tier opponent.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure we could if they traveled to our house, might even pay them the asking price they seem so hell bent on. But the excuses are thick in that crowd ranging from humid and hot, tornado infested, panties in a wad, diaper chafes on log trips, Might get t-bagged and be scarred for life. Lets face it, some like Berkeley might enjoy that last one a bit too much. Frankly, i see no real value in even playing Boise whether its on the road or at their place, they simply are not the team they once were a few years back and until they shows signs of life again, its just another "Meh" lower tier opponent.

To be honest, I can see where t-bagging would be a deal breaker for most.:lol:

Seriously though, my post was simply to refute the money issue as has been mentioned by some of the 'Bama faithful. I just don't see where 'Bama is going to make more off of a regional game vs. a Charleston Southern rather than a national game vs. Boise.

Additionally, if it were a home and home and Boise did what Boise tends to do and make it a close game or even win, then the anticipation of the game the following season gets ramped up exponentially.

Of course, the flip side of that could be that if 'Bama curbstomps Boise, then the follow-up game loses much of it's appeal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, when you say "a few years back", do you mean all the way back to 2012 when Boise went 11-2 and finished in the top 20?

Or do you mean all the way back to 2011, when they went 12-1 and finished in the top 10?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, when you say "a few years back", do you mean all the way back to 2012 when Boise went 11-2 and finished in the top 20?

Or do you mean all the way back to 2011, when they went 12-1 and finished in the top 10?

No I mean when they played more than one somebody a year and had a decent SoS and were somewhat feared. Lets face it, right now they are not really feared by anyone. Time will tell, but its still my opinion they dont offer much in terms of tangible assets if they are played. they simply fill a spot on the schedule that another Mid Major might fill and the cost to play them makes their actual worth too high a price in terms of what they bring SoS boost wise. Frankly i dont see the worth and I am sure i am not alone.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I can see where t-bagging would be a deal breaker for most.:lol:

Seriously though, my post was simply to refute the money issue as has been mentioned by some of the 'Bama faithful. I just don't see where 'Bama is going to make more off of a regional game vs. a Charleston Southern rather than a national game vs. Boise.

Additionally, if it were a home and home and Boise did what Boise tends to do and make it a close game or even win, then the anticipation of the game the following season gets ramped up exponentially.

Of course, the flip side of that could be that if 'Bama curbstomps Boise, then the follow-up game loses much of it's appeal.

Alabama makes around 7 million a home game and would probably only be paid 1.5 to play at Boise. If it were a neutral site they MIGHT get a guaranteed payout of 5 million if they negotiated hard but I doubt it. So believe it or not Alabama would lose money playing Boise instead of Charleston Southern and those numbers do not include the economic impact what the city of Tuscaloosa makes.

All in all the tax payers of Alabama could give up around 2 to 4 million and could be as much as 5 million if you count the local economy in the total.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild turkey is right in this one. Those neutral site games aren't big money makers compared to a home game, which is why lining up bad teams has become so popular. It's a license to steal money. And the victims are their own fans, who allow themselves to be robbed blind year after year.

Besides, this thread really isn't about Boise or Alabama, if one gets down to it. It's about how money has replaced honest sport in college football. Signing up those bad teams is the moral equivalent of paying to watch grown men beat up on children.

Part of me can't blame the Tide. But when someone pays the coaching staff of the football team more than the entire budget of many schools, things seem to be getting out of hand.

After all, what the team has done over the last decade isn't disputable. And, our dear Alabama fans are quite willing, it seems to pluck down good money to watch those Charleston Southern type games. I can only conclude that they WANT their schools to continue bringing in bakery pastries to play at home for their non-conference games. If they truly wanted their school to play the best, they wouldn't buy the tickets and would deluge the AD with angry calls, texts, emails, and letters.

And why should Saban care? He gets a king's ransom to figure out how in the world he can beat the Coastal Carolina Shower Soaps, Florida International Houses of Pancakes, and the Chattanooga Choo Choos by only 5 touchdowns instead of by 10. The key, make sure that the fans have had plenty to eat and drink, then they won't notice the lousy quality of the play on the field.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An article that came out in today's paper talked about Saban's big pay increase. It's a pretty good one. At the OU Caravan, Bob Stoops was asked about it. He brought up some good point's about the pay raise's.

College football coaches' salaries are crazy, but it's money well spent | News OK

“The business model seems to work for them, so I don’t know what the issue would be,” said Bob Stoops, business marketing major, University of Iowa, 1983.

But I can’t condemn such largesse. I figure Stoops and Saban have 45, or 68, times as much responsibility as the average prof. Win the Sugar Bowl. Keep the fans happy so the coffers stay full. Keep your players academically eligible and off the police blotter. The Iowa business marketing grad points out that Saban’s check — or his own — isn’t likely to bounce anytime soon. Saban’s salary isn’t crazy if you compare it to what ’Bama makes off football.

“When you compare it to what maybe they bring in, probably not,” Stoops said. “Compare it to what they were bringing in before he got there and before the program’s doing what it is now. Business is business. I don’t think anybody pays something that they’re not able to afford, or that doesn’t put them in a positive position. That’s in all businesses.”

The Saban story at Alabama is the Stoops story at Oklahoma. OU’s athletic department was losing money before Stoops’ 1998 arrival. Losing ballgames and hemorrhaging cash. That changed and changed quickly.

“In our case, I don’t know, we’ve given roughly 40 to 44 million dollars to our academic programs and the university as a whole over the last 10 years,” Stoops said Thursday night during a pep rally at the OU-Tulsa campus. “That seems to be a pretty positive business model. When before Joe Castiglione and president Boren got here, I think they were losing money. (The university) was funding the athletic program.

And the money paid to football coaches might remain unpopular throughout campus. Except for one enclave. Those paychecks make perfect sense in the business college.