• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL should look at this policy

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with you. I think if drugs were legal, you are not going to see a nation full of addicts. Just like we don't see a nation full of drunks. Will there me more? Yes. But I don't think it would be some huge increase. I also agree, that no matter if legal or not, an employer has a right to set rules as to how their employees act while on the job. This includes both being high as well as being hungover from a high. But it would be determined by performance in their duties or how it affects their coworkers performance of their duties. If you take a job knowing the rules and expectations ahead of time and you violate those rules, you should fairly suffer the consequences. I just don't think that the Government should use laws, but let the market work as it should. You show up high/drunk and it affects your performance, you are gone. Regardless of a law. In short, the government should not be in enacting laws to influence morality, unless that morality affects the will, welfare or liberty of others (child molestation, etc). Obviously this is a very nuanced issue and I am talking about it at a very high level. But back to the point of pot, it is not a gateway drug any more that alcohol is.

I actually do think you would see much higher rates of addiction. I also say let them die if that is a consequence.

As for the NFL, they shell out guaranteed money for services expected but not yet received. People are simply a resource. If drugs taint the resource, would a seller want the tainted resource?

Do drug addicts affect the welfare and liberty of others? Yes they do. Rampant drug use will lead to a less productive society and higher crime. It also leads to higher hospitalization rates, higher rates of rehab, and we will be single payer eventually so higher taxes.

I agree it is very nuanced. Some get very touchy and don't actually read what I write. Here is what I am saying. Alcohol is bad. They attempted to ban it and the result was bad. Marijuana has some uses but the primary one on an open market is the high. I am fine with legalization or not because both can be argued and argued intelligently within the Constitutional realm. If you argue for legalization of marijuana though, you have to advocate for legalization of all drugs.

Probably less that the percentage of people that started with alcohol. I get that you are not specifically defending alcohol. But you are defending the government's ability to pick and choose which stimulant they will allow its citizens to partake when you single out pot.

BTW, you probably think I am a smoker at this point. You would be wrong. When younger, I did smoke recreationally (once in a while) so I understand what pot is, what it does, and what it doesn't do. Its all blown way out of proportion because of some societal perception led by those that want to legislate they believe you should do and don't do. Pot is not a gateway drug. That is a bunch of crap. For those that smoke pot and go on to hard drugs has little to do with the pot and more to do with their addictive personalities.

Oh I would almost guarantee the alcohol percentage would be higher or equal at near 100% for both because of availability. I have never singled out pot. I lump it in with illegal drugs versus alcohol which is legal. Alcohol is a depressant and weed is a hallucinogen but I understand what you are saying. Now if you condone legalization of marijuana and not cocaine, then you are doing that same thing.

You know what it does to you. Actually it does still have to do with weed...they would not become addicted if it tasted like shit and didn't make them feel good.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that it is fair for you to make a blanket statement the players would only use pot to get high & not to help them cope with pain. Will this be true for some players? Sure. However I can see as many or more using it to cope with pain which according to all accounts is severe w/ NFL players.

If you have ever had any kind of chronic pain or ailment that is severe you would realize that you probably do/take just about anything to ease the pain. When this type of situation occurs just about nothing else in your life is that important. None of us are mind readers & don't have the rt just to assume we know how players think or feel. This is just as wrong as when fans state that a player is not trying when they do poorly. Honestly - we don't have a freaking clue. I would be a little more careful with these type of assumptions.

I didn't say some don't use it for pain, but they don't use it for pain alone. Like I said, they would have a better argument if they had never done it before.

We all have a right to believe what we believe. My assumption doesn't hurt anybody, does it?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is against league rules and federal law. Marijuana does not have health benefits that I know of. It can be a pain killer and it too can be abused.

In a nut shell, the article says sports needs kids. They are the next generation and the next generation of fans. It states fandom starts young as well. Now, if parents see the future of their children as pot heads, they will prevent their children from being involved and definitely won't allow them to contribute to merchandising profits.

One final question. Why is it so personal to you?

marijuanna clearly controls seizure activity . the israelis have shown this and the pill form has helped my wife with it . it also does control her pain since she cant take other pain meds do to being allergic to them . now my wife only uses the pill form and doesnt smoke nor do i . i dont take the pill form either because i get tested for it in my job and i dont have a need to use it

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Has never been disproven"

Since when is that what we should use to decide things.

It's never been disproven that legalizing marijuana will create lasting peace and prosperity for the entire human race. Still a dumb thing to base anything off of.

Please don't look at statements without looking at what I replied.

Shark stated gateway was proven. I said it was never disproven.

Then we can avoid the rest of your assertion.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
marijuanna clearly controls seizure activity . the israelis have shown this and the pill form has helped my wife with it . it also does control her pain since she cant take other pain meds do to being allergic to them . now my wife only uses the pill form and doesnt smoke nor do i . i dont take the pill form either because i get tested for it in my job and i dont have a need to use it

Did I ever say there was no use for marijuana? I said its primary use is to get high.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't look at statements without looking at what I replied.

Shark stated gateway was proven. I said it was never disproven.

Then we can avoid the rest of your assertion.

No what I said was that the gateway theory has never been proven. Thus it remains just that, a theory. Most real evidence points to it being a crock of shit though and more than likely something made up and spread to maintain the status quo as far as the public perception of certain things.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now live in a society where

1. Getting a good education will likely have you in debt to the government and the banks for between 10-30 years of your productive healthy life span.

2. 80% or more of the "LEGAL" pain killers will relieve your pain, but likely shorten your life span, run the risk of real addiction. And fully 100% of the mental health drugs that are legal will either help you.. or make you suicidal and or Homicidal. (oh yea, and they cost 10 times as much because they are "LEGAL")

3. The concept of marriage and fidelity are more a temporary thing than a life long commitment. Add to that, our children have become more a tax write off or a source of income.

4. Our government that is supposed to serve the people is doing everything it can to enslave the people irrespective of color.

5. And lastly, unless you are a part of the elite classes, you are most likely 3-5 years away from broke and homeless for about 70% of the country.

But legalizing weed, that right thee is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and destroys our society as we know it.

Who knew. :suds:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No what I said was that the gateway theory has never been proven. Thus it remains just that, a theory. Most real evidence points to it being a crock of shit though and more than likely something made up and spread to maintain the status quo as far as the public perception of certain things.

Post 23 Shark. You specifically said gateway theory was proven to be a crook.

I then said it has never been disproven.

There is an absolute correlation between alcohol and other drugs. There is an absolute correlation between marijuana and other drugs.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds::suds:
We now live in a society where

1. Getting a good education will likely have you in debt to the government and the banks for between 10-30 years of your productive healthy life span.

2. 80% or more of the "LEGAL" pain killers will relieve your pain, but likely shorten your life span, run the risk of real addiction. And fully 100% of the mental health drugs that are legal will either help you.. or make you suicidal and or Homicidal. (oh yea, and they cost 10 times as much because they are "LEGAL")

3. The concept of marriage and fidelity are more a temporary thing than a life long commitment. Add to that, our children have become more a tax write off or a source of income.

4. Our government that is supposed to serve the people is doing everything it can to enslave the people irrespective of color.

5. And lastly, unless you are a part of the elite classes, you are most likely 3-5 years away from broke and homeless for about 70% of the country.

But legalizing weed, that right thee is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and destroys our society as we know it.

Who knew. :suds:

Hahahaha...excellent points. It is all insane.:suds: I love you man.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post 23 Shark. You specifically said gateway theory was proven to be a crook.

I then said it has never been disproven.

There is an absolute correlation between alcohol and other drugs. There is an absolute correlation between marijuana and other drugs.

The Gateway theory has never been proven, any more so than the god theory, the big bang theory, or quite a few other things some of us take as fact based on a theory. At best the evidence is anecdotal. And those that subscribe to the theory are subject to seeing what they WANT to see because it re-enforces their predetermined belief in the first place. No one is ever going to do a real controlled study on the gateway theory because it would be first off inhumane to intentionally subject some one to a process that you are hoping proves that taking one substance will more than likely lead to taking another more harmful substance. And two, what happens if the theory is definitively proven to be wrong??

So in the end its a wonderful theory for those who have never or dont currently use drugs or alcohol to say, these things lead down the path of escalation. But it is my theory that every one has some sort of coping device, be it drugs, alcohol, food, religion or some other self serving belief system. A man or woman who says they have none of these and they live the perfect life where they never find themselves in need of some sort of coping device.....lets just say I dont want to know whats buried in the back yard or in that secret room in the basement.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say some don't use it for pain, but they don't use it for pain alone. Like I said, they would have a better argument if they had never done it before.

We all have a right to believe what we believe. My assumption doesn't hurt anybody, does it?

Again - how do you know that? Are you a mind reader? I have not gotten high in a very, very long time. However - some times I get cluster headaches & do various things to relieve them. If someone told me that smoking pot might reduce or make them go away I would seriously consider it & it would be 100% to reduce pain. I never really enjoyed getting high since it made me paranoid.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do drug addicts affect the welfare and liberty of others? Yes they do. Rampant drug use will lead to a less productive society and higher crime. It also leads to higher hospitalization rates, higher rates of rehab, and we will be single payer eventually so higher taxes.

In terms of illegal drugs & specifically marijuana this is dwarfed by the effects of alcohol, tobacco & poor diet in terms of hospitalization & the effects on the economy & it isn't even close. Except for tobacco the NFL promotes all of these in a major way.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - how do you know that? Are you a mind reader? I have not gotten high in a very, very long time. However - some times I get cluster headaches & do various things to relieve them. If someone told me that smoking pot might reduce or make them go away I would seriously consider it & it would be 100% to reduce pain. I never really enjoyed getting high since it made me paranoid.

You make a very valid point here. Most people that smoke to get high and continue to smoke to get high, do it because it does in fact make them feel good. Not paranoid, edgy or other negative effects. Most people that try it for pain relief, end up not smoking if all they get is high but their back still feels like twisted metal, its not the trade off they were hoping for. But you would risk sitting in your basement with a bit of the fuck they are coming to get me, if it relieved the fuck just shoot me and make my head stop hurting. :D

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a very valid point here. Most people that smoke to get high and continue to smoke to get high, do it because it does in fact make them feel good. Not paranoid, edgy or other negative effects. Most people that try it for pain relief, end up not smoking if all they get is high but their back still feels like twisted metal, its not the trade off they were hoping for. But you would risk sitting in your basement with a bit of the fuck they are coming to get me, if it relieved the fuck just shoot me and make my head stop hurting. :D

Agree 100% - it is a tradeoff. Again - if you encounter excruciating pain it pretty much stops you in your tracks & you are willing to do just about anything to relieve it. I can only imagine the pain that some players go through when they are basically experiencing low speed car crashes on a regular basis.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% - it is a tradeoff. Again - if you encounter excruciating pain it pretty much stops you in your tracks & you are willing to do just about anything to relieve it. I can only imagine the pain that some players go through when they are basically experiencing low speed car crashes on a regular basis.

Dude, if i knew for a fact that a joint or two every night would take care of my back and knee pain, and wasnt going to cost me $300 a month just so I could sleep at night.... Lets just say I would consider moving back to DC and dealing with my family.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, if i knew for a fact that a joint or two every night would take care of my back and knee pain, and wasnt going to cost me $300 a month just so I could sleep at night.... Lets just say I would consider moving back to DC and dealing with my family.
Amen. The reason I probably feel the way I do is that I have been diagnosed with a debilitating disease that has no cure and will only continue to get worse. However, research shows that pot helps to alleviate some of the significant symptoms of this disease. While I'm not there yet, its a real possibility that in my future I may very well want to try it to see if it will help. Unfortunately, as a resident of Virginia, this state will be the last to legalize weed. We are almost always 20 years behind the rest of the Union when it comes to issues like this. Hell, oral sex is still technically illegal in Virginia. Oh well, once a law breaker, always a law breaker!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been diagnosed with a debilitating disease that has no cure and will only continue to get worse.

So they finally classified Bruce Allen as a terminal disease for Redskins fans?? :pound:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it did make me paranoid , and i tended to have my life stagnate so i moved away from it . but that is me . my major addiction is to tabacco and hence i wont use it at all . been free of it 14 yrs . took alot to break the habit for the 18 years i did smoke

i put on weight but i wont be fat and a smoker

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Gateway theory has never been proven, any more so than the god theory, the big bang theory, or quite a few other things some of us take as fact based on a theory. At best the evidence is anecdotal. And those that subscribe to the theory are subject to seeing what they WANT to see because it re-enforces their predetermined belief in the first place. No one is ever going to do a real controlled study on the gateway theory because it would be first off inhumane to intentionally subject some one to a process that you are hoping proves that taking one substance will more than likely lead to taking another more harmful substance. And two, what happens if the theory is definitively proven to be wrong??

So in the end its a wonderful theory for those who have never or dont currently use drugs or alcohol to say, these things lead down the path of escalation. But it is my theory that every one has some sort of coping device, be it drugs, alcohol, food, religion or some other self serving belief system. A man or woman who says they have none of these and they live the perfect life where they never find themselves in need of some sort of coping device.....lets just say I dont want to know whats buried in the back yard or in that secret room in the basement.

Your exact word were that gateway theory was proven crook. No that isn't true just because it hasn't been proven true.

I believe in gateway because it makes sense. You smoke pot and you get high. The body builds a tolerance and you have to smoke more and you may never see the before mentioned high. So you take something stronger. It is a logical progression. I don't believe in gateway because I want to be Dean.

See...I never claimed to be perfect and I do have coping devices. Please don't tell the police about my back yard.