• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Executive: "When I see Jameis Winston, I see Jamarcus Russell"

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL executive: 'With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell' - CBSSports.com

NFL executive: 'With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell'
By Jared Dubin | NFL Writer

April 24, 2015 10:06 am ET

images

An unnamed NFL executive, speaking to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, compared presumptive No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston to an all-time draft bust. "With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell," the executive said. "Isn't it interesting?"

"I see the body. I see the lack of focus. I see the same coach and system. Only Winston's not as good an athlete and his arm isn't as strong as JaMarcus'," the executive said. "We're looking at another guy that's a product of the system and has tremendous athletes around him."

It's especially strange to hear the "system" talk applied to Winston, since it has been Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota who has had to deal with that more in the lead-up to next week's draft. One of the virtues many scouts extoll when talking about Winston is his familiarity with the pro-style offense due to the system he ran under Jimbo Fisher at Florida State. In this case, though, it's being used as a negative.

If we exclude the possibility that this executive is hallucinating -- looking at one person and seeing an entirely different person is quite weird and something that should be checked out -- and run with the comparison, let's see what similarities we can come up with.

• Size: Jameis stands 6-feet-4 and weighs 230 pounds. Russell is 6-6 and was 265 pounds heading into the NFL Draft
  • Coach: Fisher, who coached Winston at FSU, was the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator during Russell's time at LSU
  • Name: Both players have names that start with the letters J-A-M and end with "iss" sounds.
Yep. That's pretty much it. Across a similar number of passes in their careers as college starters (851 for Winston, 797 for Russell), Winston had a completion percentage 4.1 points higher (66.0 to 61.9), threw for 9.4 yards per attempt to Russell's 8.3 (and as a result threw for 1,339 more yards) and recorded a touchdown on 7.6 percent of his passes compared to Russell's 6.5 percent mark.

Russell was touted almost solely for his size and arm strength coming into the draft, while many have focused on Winston's leadership and football intelligence on the field in addition to his physical gifts. It's certainly possible Winston could fail at the NFL level, but it seems fairly unlikely that it will be because he let himself go physically and could not hold up in the mental side of the game as was the case with Russell.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually could happen...

....but what this exec might not realize that there are different universes where Jamarcus Russell gets drafted by a team better fit to cope with his off the field issues and turns him into a solid player in this league.

If (really when) Tampa takes Winston, they should have a plan in place to get some solid people around him and help him grow up and focus on getting better on football. The guy has all the attributes to be a great QB if he can put it all together.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually could happen...

....but what this exec might not realize that there are different universes where Jamarcus Russell gets drafted by a team better fit to cope with his off the field issues and turns him into a solid player in this league.

If (really when) Tampa takes Winston, they should have a plan in place to get some solid people around him and help him grow up and focus on getting better on football. The guy has all the attributes to be a great QB if he can put it all together.
It is definitely an investment the team who drafts winston needs to take. With that said though, You can take the girl out of the trailer park...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is definitely an investment the team who drafts winston needs to take. With that said though, You can take the girl out of the trailer park...

LOL, true. Sometimes those are the funnest girls though.:heh:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jamarcus comparison is extreme for a few reasons.

I think Jameis was flat out a better college player than Jamarcus.

Two, I think he may be chronically immature and prone to stupid actions off the field, but he's not sipping the purple that we know of...

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually could happen...

dont make him the starter until year 2.

he may have a chance.

and no crab legs.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont make him the starter until year 2.

he may have a chance.

and no crab legs.

I really don't think with a guy like Winston that it is going to be starting year 1 or year 2 that makes any difference.

He either gets to the NFL and puts in the work in or he doesn't grow up and doesn't. Year 1 starter might actually help a guy like him because he won't get bored....idle hands being the devil's workshop type of thing.

And as far as crab legs....kid's in the NFL now. Free crab legs are part of the (legal) perks! You actually have to hand it to Winston in that case now that the story is out. He was at least smart enough at the time to just let people say he stole them rather than to admit to an NCAA violation. Although on the negative....he wasn't smart enough to realize that it was an admission he needed to keep secret forever and not let the cat out of the bag the moment he got out of college.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL executive: 'With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell' - CBSSports.com

NFL executive: 'With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell'
By Jared Dubin | NFL Writer

April 24, 2015 10:06 am ET

images

An unnamed NFL executive, speaking to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, compared presumptive No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston to an all-time draft bust. "With Jameis Winston I see JaMarcus Russell," the executive said. "Isn't it interesting?"

"I see the body. I see the lack of focus. I see the same coach and system. Only Winston's not as good an athlete and his arm isn't as strong as JaMarcus'," the executive said. "We're looking at another guy that's a product of the system and has tremendous athletes around him."

It's especially strange to hear the "system" talk applied to Winston, since it has been Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota who has had to deal with that more in the lead-up to next week's draft. One of the virtues many scouts extoll when talking about Winston is his familiarity with the pro-style offense due to the system he ran under Jimbo Fisher at Florida State. In this case, though, it's being used as a negative.

If we exclude the possibility that this executive is hallucinating -- looking at one person and seeing an entirely different person is quite weird and something that should be checked out -- and run with the comparison, let's see what similarities we can come up with.

• Size: Jameis stands 6-feet-4 and weighs 230 pounds. Russell is 6-6 and was 265 pounds heading into the NFL Draft
  • Coach: Fisher, who coached Winston at FSU, was the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator during Russell's time at LSU
  • Name: Both players have names that start with the letters J-A-M and end with "iss" sounds.
Yep. That's pretty much it. Across a similar number of passes in their careers as college starters (851 for Winston, 797 for Russell), Winston had a completion percentage 4.1 points higher (66.0 to 61.9), threw for 9.4 yards per attempt to Russell's 8.3 (and as a result threw for 1,339 more yards) and recorded a touchdown on 7.6 percent of his passes compared to Russell's 6.5 percent mark.

Russell was touted almost solely for his size and arm strength coming into the draft, while many have focused on Winston's leadership and football intelligence on the field in addition to his physical gifts. It's certainly possible Winston could fail at the NFL level, but it seems fairly unlikely that it will be because he let himself go physically and could not hold up in the mental side of the game as was the case with Russell.

I literally have been saying this for months. Jamarcus is a colossal bust waiting to happen. I almost feel bad for the teams that have to pretend to be excited about his potential.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's rough. I wouldn't quite go there, but some similarities I can see.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jamarcus comparison is extreme for a few reasons.

I think Jameis was flat out a better college player than Jamarcus.

Two, I think he may be chronically immature and prone to stupid actions off the field, but he's not sipping the purple that we know of...
Emphasis on the last 4 words...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we care about the personal opinion of some anonymous employee?

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy who said it.. didnt put his name on it.. so he is not about that life

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's rough. I wouldn't quite go there, but some similarities I can see.
Agreed. I think that Jameis will be a better player on the field, but down the road, I see Jameis getting into trouble off the field.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO @ this thread. I would love to know who that executive was

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1