• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how close this is to 'equal' draft points, but i would do this trade down anyway. There will still be a solid player at #6 OVERALL, and i recall reading several times this draft is solid thru Round 2. So we would add ANOTHER quality prospect at the high end of Round 2.

But as i have been contending all along, why would the Jets do this? Not being negative about a trade down, but just can't see why another team wants to trade up? None of the QB's are talked about as being even close to worth #2?!

if the like some one at that they think we will take then they could be motivated even if it isn't a QB.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because trading back has worked so well for the 9ers. :rolleyes2:

Don't worry too much about it....the trade rumour in question, in all likelihood, is false.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because trading back has worked so well for the 9ers. :rolleyes2:

Bill Walsh was a master of it and generated a lot of good picks. I think he did that in the famous 1986 draft. LOL, it might have failed when Baalke did it because there was never enough darts for him to get one right

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bill Walsh was a master of it and generated a lot of good picks. I think he did that in the famous 1986 draft. LOL, it might have failed when Baalke did it because there was never enough darts for him to get one right

Bill Walsh was obviously a great coach, but he back then he was helped by signing top free agents (pre cap era). In his second tenure after John York took over, he didn't do well at the GM. Worse, he recommended Terry Donahue as his successor.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walsh was obviously a great coach, but he back then he was helped by signing top free agents (pre cap era). In his second tenure after John York took over, he didn't do well at the GM. Worse, he recommended Terry Donahue as his successor.

There wasn't free agency when Walsh coached the 49ers. Actually Walsh didn't do badly as GM during that stint with the Yorks. When Walsh took over as GM, the team was in salary cap hell with a bunch of bad contracts and dead money. Walsh cleaned that up and got the organization headed in the right direction again.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn't free agency when Walsh coached the 49ers. Actually Walsh didn't do badly as GM during that stint with the Yorks. When Walsh took over as GM, the team was in salary cap hell with a bunch of bad contracts and dead money. Walsh cleaned that up and got the organization headed in the right direction again.
Plan B free agents.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, but weren't you were referring to his drafting?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plan B free agents.

I believe Plan B free agency started In 1989. Walsh's last year coaching the 49ers was 1988. Plan B free agency wasn't real free agency anyway. Teams decided which players they wanted to list as free agents.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but weren't you were referring to his drafting?

I was but you said this,

Walsh couldn't sign top free agents because free agency did not exist when Walsh coached.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Plan B free agency started In 1989. Walsh's last year coaching the 49ers was 1988. Plan B free agency wasn't real free agency anyway. Teams decided which players they wanted to list as free agents.
Don't see a useful award to hand out

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was but you said this,

Walsh couldn't sign top free agents because free agency did not exist when Walsh coached.

In Walsh's first tenure, then whatever you want to call those players who were not drafted by Walsh. Eddie signed some key players to help the 49ers stay successful. Whether there was a free agency system or not, there good players who were not drafted by the 49ers.

In Walsh's second tenure under John York, he did not draft well.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Walsh's first tenure, then whatever you want to call those players who were not drafted by Walsh. Eddie signed some key players to help the 49ers stay successful. Whether there was a free agency system or not, there good players who were not drafted by the 49ers.

In Walsh's second tenure under John York, he did not draft well.

Walsh signed some key players no other teams wanted. Dwight Hicks was working in a health food store. Walsh also made some key trades like for Fred Dean but Walsh mostly built his teams through the draft. You had to back then because players couldn't freely move between teams. I don't remember Walsh's drafts except for Carmazzi which was a bust. There was a lot of bad drafts during that era from Clark/Policy regime through the Terry Donahue era.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Walsh signed some key players no other teams wanted. Dwight Hicks was working in a health food store. Walsh also made some key trades like for Fred Dean but Walsh mostly built his teams through the draft. You had to back then because players couldn't freely move between teams. I don't remember Walsh's drafts except for Carmazzi which was a bust. There was a lot of bad drafts during that era from Clark/Policy regime through the Terry Donahue era.

like Steve Young for example? :-)

When Walsh returned under John York, he did not draft well, beginning with Tom Brady.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like Steve Young for example? :-)

When Walsh returned under John York, he did not draft well, beginning with Tom Brady.

Yes, Steve Young was very unique. The odds of something like that happening today are pretty remote. Young had a boatload of cash coming from the USFL and was known to be tight with his money so money was not an issue. Young had made a verbal agreement with Tampa's owner to have a say where he would be traded and Tampa's owner honored that deal. Tampa received better offers from other teams for Young but Young wanted to go to SF where he felt Walsh could make him a better QB so Tampa took less in a trade by honoring Young's wishes.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
KJ’s picks
No. 2 — Jamal Adams, (S, LSU) — Versatile, rangy and violent, Adams becomes the immediate focal point of the secondary, lining up everywhere depending on the matchup. The word leadership is cliche, but he’s the type alpha male guy people follow in the locker room. This move should keep Jimmie Ward locked in at outside cornerback alongside Rashard Robinson and convert Jaquiski Tartt into more of a hybrid matchup linebacker in the passing game. Adams can play both center field and around the line of scrimmage, hopefully the former while Eric Reid patrols the line. Adams has Pro Bowl potential and is a tone-setter Lynch can’t afford to pass up.

No. 34 — Patrick Mahomes (QB, Texas Tech) If Shanahan believes he can coach a few bad habits out of Mahomes, this is the pick that could end up altering the 49ers’ future the next decade. Mahomes does have the best arm in the draft and the type of confidence NFL teams crave, meaning the Texans might pounce at No. 25. He’s 6-foot-2, mobile and is not your typical highlight reel Big 12 product. Watch tape and you’ll see some Ben Roethlisberger type of abilities within the pocket.

Third round: Jordan Willis (Edge Rusher, Kansas State) — He’s got the size (6-foot-4, 255-pounds), production (Big 12 DPOY with 11.5 sacks) and reps on tape as a three-year starter to believe he could play right away over Aaron Lynch. Willis was also stout against the run with the Wildcats. That can’t be a forgotten equation when it comes to this draft.

Fourth round: Bucky Hodges (TE, Virginia Tech) — There’s a reason the 49ers were rumored to be in on Martellus Bennett earlier this offseason: The team needs a real hybrid matchup problem at the tight end position. Enter the 6-foot-7 Hodges, who blossomed as a red zone target by catching 20 touchdowns in three seasons. There’s some route running issues I think Shanahan and Mike McDaniel will be able to clean up.

Fourth round: Donnel Pumphrey (RB, San Diego St) — After breaking Ron Dayne’s all-time rushing record, Pumphrey will be on Shanahan’s radar. because he excels as an outside zone runner. This is truly a dynamic change of pace, home-run hitting threat to pair with Carlos Hyde. The concern is he’s too small (5-foot-8, 180 pounds) to block as a third down back. Regardless, this is the type of speed and electricity San Francisco’s offense needs.

Fifth round: Jayon Brown (LB, UCLA) — Sideline to sideline coverage linebackers are valuable in today’s NFL. The 49ers need replacements for Michael Wilhoite, Nick Bellore, Gerald Hodges. Brown’s a 230-pounder, who filled in admirably at linebacker for Myles Jack.

Fifth round: J.J. Dielman (OL, Utah) — A leg injury senior year hurt the 6-foot-5, 309-pounder’s draft stock — cue the Trent Baalke jokes. Still, he’s versatile and athletic, and has the ability to play both right tackle and center. Dielman is considered very good scheme fit for Shanahan’s zone-blocking system.

Sixth round: Malachi Dupre (WR, LSU )– The quarterback situation no doubt hurt his draft stock. With 41 receptions last season, Dupre led the Tigers. He’s not a speedster at 6-foot-2, but he has reliable hands and untapped potential in a run-first offense. He’s worth the chance in the sixth round.

Sixth round: Ben Boulware (LB, Clemson) — One of the most confident interviews at the combine, Boulware told teams to “pull up the tape,” if they want to know why he deserves an NFL roster spot. Not the fastest or the strongest, Boulware plays with great instincts — 116 tackles, 11.5 for a loss in a championship campaign last year. He’ll be the hardest worker in the locker room to prove himself and could catch on as a traditional thumping middle linebacker.

Just going by Need, i like this mock overall. It adds a QB and EDGE in Rounds 2 and 3, right where these spots make sense.

I like Pumphrey despite his height, granted he has a lot of mileage on him.

There are two LB's and an OL which is where i think we should add development picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Round 1, pick No. 2: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State. The best corner to come out of college since Marcus Peters in 2015.

Round 2, pick No. 34: Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt. The most complete linebacker in the draft and the second coming of Derrick Johnson.

Round 3, pick No. 66: Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State. An athletic pass rusher who can stop the run as well and play 6-technique in the base defense if the 49ers need him to.

Round 4, pick No. 109. Joe Williams, RB, Utah. The most explosive and underrated running back in the draft.

Round 4, pick No. 143. Julie’n Davenport, OT, Bucknell. A quick and and agile offensive linemen with long arms who can play right tackle if Trent Brown doesn’t fit Kyle Shanahan’s system.

Round 5, pick No. 146. Eddie Vanderdoes, NT, UCLA. An athletic nose tackle who played well at the Senior Bowl.

Round 5, pick No. 161. Jayon Brown, LB, UCLA. A 230-pound middle linebacker who ran a 4.58 40-yard dash at his Pro Day and recorded 212 tackles in 24 games the past two seasons.

Round 6, pick No. 198. Sam Tevi, G/T, Utah. A quick and agile offensive lineman who can play guard and tackle.

Round 6, pick No. 202. Chad Williams, WR, Grambling State. A 207-pound wide receiver who ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at his Pro Day, caught 90 passes last season and played well at the Senior Bowl.

Round 7, pick No. 219. C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa. A backup quarterback who can develop into a starter, comes from a pro-style offense and has a strong arm with a quick release.

i like it for the most part, granted i'd prefer a QB much earlier than Round 7.

Prefer a CB over a Safety all things equal, even if close to equal. The next two picks are LB's with one being a pass rusher, good cause not depending on Lynch. Don't think we need a RB this early, but this guy is good value here. Then i like the idea of drafting offensive linemen, especially one being an OT.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a perfect world I would love the 49ers to land Garrett and Kizer in the 2nd rd. Now I know that won't happen but damn that would be great.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round 1, pick No. 2: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State. The best corner to come out of college since Marcus Peters in 2015.

Round 2, pick No. 34: Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt. The most complete linebacker in the draft and the second coming of Derrick Johnson.

Round 3, pick No. 66: Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State. An athletic pass rusher who can stop the run as well and play 6-technique in the base defense if the 49ers need him to.

Round 4, pick No. 109. Joe Williams, RB, Utah. The most explosive and underrated running back in the draft.

Round 4, pick No. 143. Julie’n Davenport, OT, Bucknell. A quick and and agile offensive linemen with long arms who can play right tackle if Trent Brown doesn’t fit Kyle Shanahan’s system.

Round 5, pick No. 146. Eddie Vanderdoes, NT, UCLA. An athletic nose tackle who played well at the Senior Bowl.

Round 5, pick No. 161. Jayon Brown, LB, UCLA. A 230-pound middle linebacker who ran a 4.58 40-yard dash at his Pro Day and recorded 212 tackles in 24 games the past two seasons.

Round 6, pick No. 198. Sam Tevi, G/T, Utah. A quick and agile offensive lineman who can play guard and tackle.

Round 6, pick No. 202. Chad Williams, WR, Grambling State. A 207-pound wide receiver who ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at his Pro Day, caught 90 passes last season and played well at the Senior Bowl.

Round 7, pick No. 219. C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa. A backup quarterback who can develop into a starter, comes from a pro-style offense and has a strong arm with a quick release.

i like it for the most part, granted i'd prefer a QB much earlier than Round 7.

Prefer a CB over a Safety all things equal, even if close to equal. The next two picks are LB's with one being a pass rusher, good cause not depending on Lynch. Don't think we need a RB this early, but this guy is good value here. Then i like the idea of drafting offensive linemen, especially one being an OT.

I love this mock. I want to fix the defense with this years draft by going D early and often. I'd rather us wait and fix our offense next season through free agency and the draft.