• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Coaches at Michigan, Florida, Miami, Kansas

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hire for Michigan is seen as a "must hit homerun" or it appears a failure. I'm glad Coach Cut was even considered. Shows what he has accomplished at Duke.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hire for Michigan is seen as a "must hit homerun" or it appears a failure. I'm glad Coach Cut was even considered. Shows what he has accomplished at Duke.
-
He is an excellent coach. Great offensive mind and developer of QBs. That said I do not think he is the guy to run a program like Michigan. HE is at least 60, so more of a short-term fix. I dont see him hitting the recruiting trail tirelessly. I think he is in the perfect situation right now.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has to be. The last two searches there was some wiggle room as far as the hire was concerned and they failed miserably both times. They can't go off and hire a guy like Cutcliff because the fan base has no more patience left. I probably wouldn't renew my tickets if that were the case, and they know this (not just me but a lot of season ticket holders including students). They need a coach who will excite the fan base and make them OK with buying tickets again.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
He is an excellent coach. Great offensive mind and developer of QBs. That said I do not think he is the guy to run a program like Michigan. HE is at least 60, so more of a short-term fix. I dont see him hitting the recruiting trail tirelessly. I think he is in the perfect situation right now.

Yep, he isn't going out beating the bushes for 5-star and better 4-star recruits. He's been there and got run outta town at Ole Miss. Recruiting is where Coach Cut falls off against the bigger named coaches. 8-4 records at Duke means they build a statue on campus. 8-4 runs you out of town at Michigan. He doesn't want to be the guy who is last out to turn off the lights.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, he isn't going out beating the bushes for 5-star and better 4-star recruits. He's been there and got run outta town at Ole Miss. Recruiting is where Coach Cut falls off against the bigger named coaches. 8-4 records at Duke means they build a statue on campus. 8-4 runs you out of town at Michigan. He doesn't want to be the guy who is last out to turn off the lights.

Which is why I don't think we seriously offered him anything.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutcliffe wasn't offered the job...nobody was yet, as far as we know. Michigan hired a head-hunting company in order to compile a list of candidates. This company is contacting coaches across the country to see if they would like to be included on Michigan's consideration list.

This is one of the reasons rumors are circulating about the Patriots' Bill Belichick and the Saints' Sean Payton. Names are being compiled.

So when we see a story about somebody 'turning down the job', this simply means they do not want to be considerd for the job/be placed on the consideration list of viable candidates.....it doesn't mean they were actually extended a job offer.......big difference.

Michigan football coaching search will involve external help, timetable dependent on candidates | MLive.com

But doesn't it amount to the same thing? You got a guy at a BASKETBALL SCHOOL saying he would not be interested in coaching one of the all-time winningest, and most widely-recognized, programs in college football history.

I know it's what you expect from a coach when asked..."Oh no, I'm not looking to leave, I love it here, etc." But I would imagine a guy could be given some slack if he were to honestly state, "Whoa, Michigan...when one of the greats comes calling, you owe it to yourself to listen."

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But doesn't it amount to the same thing? You got a guy at a BASKETBALL SCHOOL saying he would not be interested in coaching one of the all-time winningest, and most widely-recognized, programs in college football history.

I know it's what you expect from a coach when asked..."Oh no, I'm not looking to leave, I love it here, etc." But I would imagine a guy could be given some slack if he were to honestly state, "Whoa, Michigan...when one of the greats comes calling, you owe it to yourself to listen."

Some guys do not want to go through the process or put their team through the process. I am sure it was simply someone or group reaching out to Cutcliffe's people and saying "Your name came up as a potential replacement for Hoke. WE would like to speak with you at the right time.". Cutcliffe could have said "I happy here" or simply thought "Things are good here. Why screw around when I am a long shot for that job"