• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Patriots coach…

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyone else surprised by this???

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It pretty much was between him and Vrabel imo.

Now I hope he relates to the players and has a different scheme. I think he will do well in both regards

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that went pretty fast...guess they had their guy in place.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird.

I figured they'd go with someone outside the Belichick tree given how poorly those guys have performed as head coaches.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely feels like the super safe option.

I like it.

A lot.

I dont know why people would think this is a good hire. And certainly not a safe option.

1) Comes from the Belichick tree. A very, very flawed and often failed tree.
2) Mayo was an inside LB coach. Not a defensive coordinator. Not even a LB's coach. An Inside LB's coach. He wasnt even the main LB coach. Steve Belichick was the "outside LB coach" but obviously had more pull and say than Mayo did because Steve would call plays at times.

I'm not saying this is obvious to fail or anything like that. There is no one way to get to becoming a great head coach. But this is a HIGHLY unusual path for an NFL head coach. And clearly a guy with very, very, very limited experience. This is a way bigger roll of the dice on a guy than most new NFL head coaching hires.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why people would think this is a good hire. And certainly not a safe option.

1) Comes from the Belichick tree. A very, very flawed and often failed tree.
2) Mayo was an inside LB coach. Not a defensive coordinator. Not even a LB's coach. An Inside LB's coach. He wasnt even the main LB coach. Steve Belichick was the "outside LB coach" but obviously had more pull and say than Mayo did because Steve would call plays at times.

I'm not saying this is obvious to fail or anything like that. There is no one way to get to becoming a great head coach. But this is a HIGHLY unusual path for an NFL head coach. And clearly a guy with very, very, very limited experience. This is a way bigger roll of the dice on a guy than most new NFL head coaching hires.

I understood "super safe" with different context. Internal hire and popular with the players.

Only thing I question is if Hank likes this hire... :D

(edit after saw 2nd post)

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

A lot.
"Mayo has a well-known work ethic that has earned him a reputation as a player who shows up early, stays late, watches film, practices hard, and puts himself through intense workouts in the team’s weight room.[18] Mayo’s positive attitude was highlighted in Michael Holley’s book “War Room”:

”Mayo had been a top ten pick who didn’t act like one. On draft day, when the best of the best are invited to New York, often wearing made-for-occasion tailored suits, Mayo had been home in Virginia with his family raking leaves. He was a worker there and a worker in Foxboro. In the off season, he’d come to the stadium and watch film, even when there were no coaches to be found. He loved the game, and it could be seen by the way he played middle linebacker, never turning down the opportunity to plug a hole or run sideline to sideline.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s weird that it seems the whole NFL is moving toward offensive head coaches and NE doubles down on a defensive head coach as their new hire.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s weird that it seems the whole NFL is moving toward offensive head coaches and NE doubles down on a defensive head coach as their new hire.
A defensive coach that has never even been a defensive coordinator.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A defensive coach that has never even been a defensive coordinator.
I was thinking that too but then again BB was really the coach on the defensive side the entire time he was there and he had his son as DC last year, didn't he? Maybe Mayo was behind the scenes doing a lot with the players, I don't know. One thing I am relatively sure of is that Mayo has always been a really smart guy even when he was playing. I guess we will find out how this goes. I don't envy him that job though. The roster is not good overall and it's going to be a tough road.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking that too but then again BB was really the coach on the defensive side the entire time he was there and he had his son as DC last year, didn't he? Maybe Mayo was behind the scenes doing a lot with the players, I don't know. One thing I am relatively sure of is that Mayo has always been a really smart guy even when he was playing. I guess we will find out how this goes. I don't envy him that job though. The roster is not good overall and it's going to be a tough road.
Unfortunately I don’t think he’ll get much more than 2 seasons to flip this around.

This might just be bridge hire. Spend two years just accumulating young talent, and let a more experienced coaching staff come in and take over in year 3 or 4.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a lot of talent on defense and a lot of cap space.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first new coach hired is Mayo, coach Ketchup and Mustard have a chance in the future.