• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New laptop ideas

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you like the Surface Pro? I think I'm going to get one of those once they make a couple more models of it.
Well it's a old model I bought for cheap. Like it, would like it a lot more if it was a modern version. Buying a new version is on my wish list. Love the size of the screen, also typing on this is better then my iPad, more like a computer then most tablets. Kind of expensive for a new one and the accessories cost too much.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's a old model I bought for cheap. Like it, would like it a lot more if it was a modern version. Buying a new version is on my wish list. Love the size of the screen, also typing on this is better then my iPad, more like a computer then most tablets. Kind of expensive for a new one and the accessories cost too much.
How much is enough for processors on those? An i7 seems like too much for someone like me who mostly dicks around on the internet and doesn't play video games on their computer.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best 2-1 laptop for under $700..... Go!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much is enough for processors on those? An i7 seems like too much for someone like me who mostly dicks around on the internet and doesn't play video games on their computer.

I work on a i3 chip all in one pc...last year I upgraded by laptop and like many use it for surfing mostly, and I run a few excel budget SS...one is for work and is a fairly large file...I copy it to a thumb drive to work on at home sometimes...I bought a i5 chip in the HP laptop I got...it zips thru it much faster...aside from that I see no need for more capability...i7 chip is overkill for most of us.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work on a i3 chip all in one pc...last year I upgraded by laptop and like many use it for surfing mostly, and I run a few excel budget SS...one is for work and is a fairly large file...I copy it to a thumb drive to work on at home sometimes...I bought a i5 chip in the HP laptop I got...it zips thru it much faster...aside from that I see no need for more capability...i7 chip is overkill for most of us.
I agree. I have i5s in my desktop and laptop and they both work really well for what I use them for. The bad thing is that these 2 in 1 computers like the Surface Pro 4 are pretty pricey with an i5 in them at this point. I could probably get a new iPad and a touchscreen laptop with an i5 in it for about the same price.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I have i5s in my desktop and laptop and they both work really well for what I use them for. The bad thing is that these 2 in 1 computers like the Surface Pro 4 are pretty pricey with an i5 in them at this point. I could probably get a new iPad and a touchscreen laptop with an i5 in it for about the same price.

I have a Samsung mini tablet and I use it mostly as a planner for work, some surfing...I like the screen size (23") of my all in 1 machine and kind of leaning towards that for the home office...where my laptop currently is.

I've been working on a sunroom addition with new grilling porch off it and intend to park the laptop in there...I did not put my modem/router in a centralized place...I wanted it out of the way...therefore my wifi signal is not great in certain rooms...works, but similar to the Uverse speed here at work...I'm sure there are boosters of some sort to fix that you think?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Samsung mini tablet and I use it mostly as a planner for work, some surfing...I like the screen size (23") of my all in 1 machine and kind of leaning towards that for the home office...where my laptop currently is.

I've been working on a sunroom addition with new grilling porch off it and intend to park the laptop in there...I did not put my modem/router in a centralized place...I wanted it out of the way...therefore my wifi signal is not great in certain rooms...works, but similar to the Uverse speed here at work...I'm sure there are boosters of some sort to fix that you think?
They have range extenders on the market. I've never had one so I couldn't tell you how effective they are. I suppose upgrading your router might be an option too but it's likely to be more expensive.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of our managers is now using this:
HP - Spectre x360 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - Natural Silver/Black

i7 based 2 in 1, one of the top models in it's class, and only just over 1k. Yeah, that's still a lot of money, but it's not nearly as expensive as most i7 units and this thing flies. We actually got the 512G SSD version but I'd hit this one if I was in the market for one. HDMI, incredible screen resolution, battery lasts for a long time, keyboard is decent, and it's cheaper than the surface pro i5 with same features.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have range extenders on the market. I've never had one so I couldn't tell you how effective they are. I suppose upgrading your router might be an option too but it's likely to be more expensive.

Kind of strange, because we downsized considerably in square footage. The previous house (maybe 4 mi from where we are now) was 3 levels ea one near 2k sf and wifi coverage was fairly strong with the older generation equipment. This home is a one and half story...maybe 2600 sf total...a few dead spots.

If I had it to do over again I would have run ethernet to more rooms.

I've been skeptical of extenders but there's a micro PC by the office, I'll swing by one day. The router itself is supposed to be the latest and greatest from comcast but how that compares with the current market idk...I could save $6 a mo if I bought my own...another option.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where the router is matters. Place it as high as you can.

There are lots of factors that can create dead spots. What is in your walls matters more than how many you have. If there are metal studs in them you can get issues.

Extenders work fine if you buy a decent one and don't try to go on the cheap. Just don't put the extender at the very edge of it's range to the router. Give it a good solid signal to it and they relay well. Businesses use extenders all the time. Warehouses and other large facilities typically have them. They are solid options, but again it matter what brand.

I have the comcast modem at home and the range on it is better than the last modem I had that I owned. Our daughters room upstairs at the back of the house is connected via wireless and her signal is still quite good. Doesn't mean there aren't units with better options.

You could also consider just adding an access point and turning off their wifi. Run a cable as far toward the main areas that have dead zones and mount it up as high as you can.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of strange, because we downsized considerably in square footage. The previous house (maybe 4 mi from where we are now) was 3 levels ea one near 2k sf and wifi coverage was fairly strong with the older generation equipment. This home is a one and half story...maybe 2600 sf total...a few dead spots.

If I had it to do over again I would have run ethernet to more rooms.

I've been skeptical of extenders but there's a micro PC by the office, I'll swing by one day. The router itself is supposed to be the latest and greatest from comcast but how that compares with the current market idk...I could save $6 a mo if I bought my own...another option.
It might take a couple of years but you'll save money in the long run if you buy your own equipment unless you get some lemons. I usually buy a router/modem combo because it's going to be about the same price to buy them separately anyways. The one I have right now is about 3 years old and I haven't had any problems with it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might take a couple of years but you'll save money in the long run if you buy your own equipment unless you get some lemons. I usually buy a router/modem combo because it's going to be about the same price to buy them separately anyways. The one I have right now is about 3 years old and I haven't had any problems with it.

Yep...renting it becomes a small cash leak after a couple of years...I did own the previous one when the modem/router were separate and I did see the equivalent of what I have now at Best buy. I need to revisit that when I have fewer irons in the fire.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any ideas? this one turned the corner but is going down again........ walmart.com has some cheap older n refurb models......i just want to be able to browse web, run microsoft office, not be dreadfully slow, and have at least 14 in screen

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3